GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ECS Virtual cockpit

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
This has been done multiple times you just need the proper VW dealer tools to reset all the modules when they go into limp mode.

AdamSheikh

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI | 24 RS 3
Yes, but if you want map display you need to retrofit MIB2 first.

This is correct. I recently did this retrofit in my 2015 (did an MIB2 Discover Pro retro a little under 2 years ago).

All info above is correct, concerning component protection, activation, etc.

I sourced my cluster from www.OEMVWparts.com for $799, and the dash trim was $60. Got the fiberoptic splitter for $40 on the eBay link already in this thread.

Installation was relatively straight forward (I followed the instructions from that Alltrack retro). I took off all the trim and got everything routed myself, and then had the dealer do the actual cluster change and activation. It was fairly involved and required lots of manual adaptations and activations, but it all worked perfectly. I was able to finalize the retrofit with some VCDS coding that enabled all the right functions, as well as changed the theme to red 4 door, etc.

IMG_0041 by Adam Sheikh, on Flickr

IMG_0042 by Adam Sheikh, on Flickr

55933173477__36CD2C8F-7BAA-406B-A135-8AF0B78549D1 by Adam Sheikh, on Flickr

55933909048__36BA432B-3A85-4B01-8326-6DBD07FD22A8 by Adam Sheikh, on Flickr

IMG_0182 by Adam Sheikh, on Flickr

Derushi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Long
Yes, but if you want map display you need to retrofit MIB2 first.

This is correct. I recently did this retrofit in my 2015 (did an MIB2 Discover Pro retro a little under 2 years ago).

Wish the virtual cockpit showed CarPlay/Android Auto maps on the display :(

My MIB2 didn't come with navigation (non pro?)

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
What do you mean dotted around the car? A VW tech told me the reading is stored in the ECU. Are you a VW tech?

A few of modules store a copy of the mileage, the ECU and cluster are only two. Don't ask me why they do it that way - I can only assume it's to make clocking harder, but people can change the mileage on all these modules with the right kit anyway ?

Nope, not a tech, just know the car. I'm sure it mentions it in the Self Study Guide for the Golf - 516 off the top of my head, I know there's a few of them for the Golf alone, might be the wrong number.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie

I sourced my cluster from www.OEMVWparts.com for $799, and the dash trim was $60. Got the fiberoptic splitter for $40 on the eBay link already in this thread.

Installation was relatively straight forward (I followed the instructions from that Alltrack retro). I took off all the trim and got everything routed myself, and then had the dealer do the actual cluster change and activation. It was fairly involved and required lots of manual adaptations and activations, but it all worked perfectly. I was able to finalize the retrofit with some VCDS coding that enabled all the right functions, as well as changed the theme to red 4 door, etc.

IMG_0041 by Adam Sheikh, on Flickr

IMG_0042 by Adam Sheikh, on Flickr

55933173477__36CD2C8F-7BAA-406B-A135-8AF0B78549D1 by Adam Sheikh, on Flickr

55933909048__36BA432B-3A85-4B01-8326-6DBD07FD22A8 by Adam Sheikh, on Flickr

IMG_0182 by Adam Sheikh, on Flickr

I'm having my cluster installed on Tuesday - can't wait!