GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Beginner’s Guide / Tips for Buying a Street-Based Suspension

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
First I wanna say thanks to everyone putting this together and Hammersticks. Pretty awesome post. So I am starting to do some research as im getting into the Suspension part of my build. So im not opposed to going with springs/dampener or coils. Clearly not air haha. My thing is this:

If I spend 1000$ on coils, I could easily spend 1000$ on springs setup.
So why wouldn't someone just buy the coils since you can change height if you want.

Example of what im looking at:
1000$ coils: https://www.moddedeuros.com/products/bc-racing-adjustable-coilovers-h-23
vs.
springs: most kits are 250$
Dampeners: B8's are like 600$

Money is a factor as I cannot install myself. So the original question is is seems like the prices are roughly the same if u get all of the suspension at once. (this doesn't include cup kits which are like 300 more).

I guess everyone is going to ask how do you drive. I daily my car to work on shitty highway roads lol (most of america or at least philly). What do I want, good quality ride with a big drop and handles well. I don't track the car. I do let it rip when appropriate. I would like to get into tracking the car tho. Not sure if what im talking about exist for around 1000$. Stock suspension really sucks, its like riding on ballons (im at 14000) and the tires make it so i feel every single bump there is (everyone). thanks for reading.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
RSB should be bigger, didn't he state that, also the OEM Front Sway bar is 24mm, so not sure what buying another 24mm FSB would really do (yes maybe more quality but if I was going to get a FSB I would get a bigger one i guess. Just my 2 cents

Keep in mind that while the diameter might be the same, the oem sway bars are hollow. An aftermarket solid metal sway bar of the same diameter would be significantly stiffer than oem.

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
Sorry for the confustion.

What I meant by the original question was...

If stock Golf R springs were installed on a GTI, would the ride height decrease? IOW, are the stock Golf R springs shorter than stock GTI springs?

Don't know, but here's this thread on it. https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21672
If someone gives me their golf R springs I will install the rears and report back. ;)

I won’t rule out the 235’s, I would just prefer to keep stock tire size. I’ll do so more digging on the forums for information regarding that.

The 034 springs seem like a great option, I just don’t see too many people running them, I’ll have to look around.

I guess my last question would be do you think the 034 front and rear mounts are overkill?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regarding tires, all good, I'd just take advantage of the extra wheel width you're buying. Obviously your $$$ so do what makes you happy.

As for 034, I think most people are turned off of their springs due to the reverse rake, and they're one of the most expensive options out there. They apparently did a bunch of R&D on them though with actual people/roads/cars...not just someone plugging in numbers to develop the part based on weight ratios. They outsource their springs, but pretty sure they do just about everything else in-house. I've toured the facility...pretty impressive stuff. Unfortunately I haven't had great luck as the mounts I bought broke, and the dogbone mount I bought bent. So, for me, I now just use with OEM mounts and they are fine...and you won't need that much camber in front for street.

If I spend 1000$ on coils, I could easily spend 1000$ on springs setup.
So why wouldn't someone just buy the coils since you can change height if you want.
Something has to give at that price point. Quality, durability/warranty, features, and resale. You can't have it all. As previously mentioned spend no less than $1K on coils, and check out the Bilstein B14 kit. If you want to go low, then yes, coils are likely your better option.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Hammersticks, you have been a tremendous help by putting together this thread, so first and foremost, thank you for your time and effort into this. I am trying to be realistic with myself in regards to modding my GTI. I have a 2018 GTI SE DSG that I will be commuting about 15k miles a year in.

I have my wheels and tires sorted out for my car, 18x8.5 HRE FF15 in tarmac with 225/40R18 Michelin PS4S tires that I'll be putting on around April or May. Flow form wheel saves around 5-6 pounds per corner, and I wanted to stick with stock size tires so I don't have to deal with rubbing or speedo issues.

I'm having a really tough time deciding on suspension parts though. I don't think I'll ever track this car, maybe one autox just to experience it, but this is primarily a street driven. I'm looking for a little more confidence inspiring feedback from my suspension. I am willing to sacrifice a small amount of comfort and NVH, in exchange for a tighter car at highway speeds and the occasional back road. I refuse to put lowering springs on stock shocks, so I am looking for a quality spring and shock combo, and don't think I can justify coilovers.

Before doing a lot of reading, my original plan/idea was as follows:
Bilstein B8's
034 Springs
034 Dynamic+ Camber Mounts
034 Rear Shock Mounts
034 Rear Sway Bar 25.4mm
034 Front Sway Bar 23.8mm
SuperPro Rear End Link
SuperPro Front End Link

But after reading your build thread, and many of your comments on other member's threads, I'm leaning towards something like this:
Bilstein B8's
H&R OE Sport Springs
SuperPro Front Sway Bar 24mm
SuperPro Rear Sway Bar 22mm
SuperPro Front End Link
SuperPro Rear End Link

Not sure if I should add in the SuperPro LCA's or their bushings in the front. I assume the rear bushings would be over kill? Not to mention added cost of install. I look forward to hearing what you (or others) think! I really want to dial in my suspension one time, as opposed to revisiting it down the line. Im resisting the urge to add power until I get suspension sorted, as well as a minor brake upgrade. Thanks!

Having done just about everything you have planned I can tell you that those are solid choices for a daily driver that is not going to see track time. Stick with the smaller sway bars, they will be a perfect compromise between stiffness and ride comfort. As you go with larger stiffer rear sway bars your ride quality will go down proportionally. What you have planned will be a very nice upgrade and keep your car fun and comfortable. B8 are the best, ran them for 4 years, loved them. The B8 are shortened shocks designed for use with lowering springs to give you full suspension travel even when the car is lowered. I ran them with Eibach Sportline springs and the ride was great and it dropped my car so that I could only put one finger between fender and tire. So you can go lower than the H&R OE if you want and it will still be comfortable.

nicksoco831

Having done just about everything you have planned I can tell you that those are solid choices for a daily driver that is not going to see track time. Stick with the smaller sway bars, they will be a perfect compromise between stiffness and ride comfort. As you go with larger stiffer rear sway bars your ride quality will go down proportionally. What you have planned will be a very nice upgrade and keep your car fun and comfortable. B8 are the best, ran them for 4 years, loved them. The B8 are shortened shocks designed for use with lowering springs to give you full suspension travel even when the car is lowered. I ran them with Eibach Sportline springs and the ride was great and it dropped my car so that I could only put one finger between fender and tire. So you can go lower than the H&R OE if you want and it will still be comfortable.

Thanks for the reply! What combination of brand and size sway bars did you use on your car? I’m between the H&R and SuperPro ones right now. Did you use stock or aftermarket end links as well? I know I probably could go lower, but if I ever decide to throw a splitter on the front I don’t want to be too low. Really looking forward to ordering this stuff and getting it on the car with some proper tires.

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
B8 are the best, ran them for 4 years, loved them....I ran them with Eibach Sportline springs and the ride was great and it dropped my car so that I could only put one finger between fender and tire. So you can go lower than the H&R OE if you want and it will still be comfortable.

On a MK7? If so, any front end violence over metal plates or other abrupt bumps at speed? That was my experience with a 1” drop.

Visceral

Go Kart Newbie
Dumb question of the day: how did you adjust your koni sport rears? The fronts seem self-evident but the rears need to be fully depressed which leaves just the threaded part of the rod exposed... can you put a nut on there and then adjust with pliers? I want to set these before I hand off to be installed at the shop. Any suggestions appreciated!

BTW, love the videos out there from Koni that make this look so easy.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Dumb question of the day: how did you adjust your koni sport rears? The fronts seem self-evident but the rears need to be fully depressed which leaves just the threaded part of the rod exposed... can you put a nut on there and then adjust with pliers? I want to set these before I hand off to be installed at the shop. Any suggestions appreciated!

BTW, love the videos out there from Koni that make this look so easy.

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showpost.php?p=721404&postcount=281

Visceral

Go Kart Newbie

Visceral

Go Kart Newbie
Well, I'm on day one with the new setup... thanks again to Hammersticks for this thread and others that shed some light on this configuration. Its butt cold here so not really gonna be able to tell much other than how well I can get over frozen chunks of road slush. To finish things off I installed the ECS flush kit and the stance is about perfect. These are temporary until I can save up for some new 8.5x18 wheels...

I have decided to purchase vwr lowering springs. The car currently has 23k miles
I was told
It’s best to replace the strut bearings while installing the springs. Is there anything else that needs to be replaced? New hardware etc

Visceral

Go Kart Newbie
I have decided to purchase vwr lowering springs. The car currently has 23k miles
I was told
It’s best to replace the strut bearings while installing the springs. Is there anything else that needs to be replaced? New hardware etc

You'll hear this a lot but if you are lowering the car with springs then either replace the dampers now or start saving as they won't last.