GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Beginner’s Guide / Tips for Buying a Street-Based Suspension

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
Thank you Hammersticks for doing the legwork to put together that chart.

Going over it though it just makes me sad, as there doesn't seem to be any spring with less than 1" real-world drop, except for DG, which are likely as soft or softer than stock.

At this point I'm thinking I should just get a set of stock R springs, since they are slightly firmer than my GTI OEMs, and pair then with some Konis.. :(

Seems crazy out of all the aftermarket options to not be able to find a stiffer spring upgrade without much drop.

Glad it helped, despite not giving you what you want.

I hear you though, the market is flooded with 1” + options, but nothing in the 0.5-0.75 range with a sport spring rate. I was disappointed when 034 came out with their option, only to find out it was like everything else wrt ride height...then APR advertised it but was off by a mile.

As for R springs, check out https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21672. I’d get something that is specific to the GTI. Not sure if you would consider the H&R OE sports, but they have been the closest thing I have found...I’ve been really happy with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WhyNotZoidberg?

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI, 2015 TDI
Glad it helped, despite not giving you what you want.

I hear you though, the market is flooded with 1” + options, but nothing in the 0.5-0.75 range with a sport spring rate. I was disappointed when 034 came out with their option, only to find out it was like everything else wrt ride height...then APR advertised it but was off by a mile.

As for R springs, check out https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21672. I’d get something that is specific to the GTI. Not sure if you would consider the H&R OE sports, but they have been the closest thing I have found...I’ve been really happy with them.

Yeah, I was thinking the R's lower height compared to the GTI would offset the weight difference, but maybe not..

My problem with lowering is losing suspension travel & ground clearance. I've had mildly lowered cars before, and garbage roads and winter driving were guaranteed to be a miserable experience. I don't have a yard or driveway anymore so I have to make due with one car (and a bike).
I just want some higher spring rate dammit, why is that so hard?!?

Does anyone know if there are there any Clubsport springs to be had?

So I either get coilovers or give up.. I got this whole winter to make up my mind :(

DrDavid

Ready to race!
Yep, the H&R OE Sports produced a .75” drop in the front as advertised.

Please can you tell me the center hub to fender with OE Sports (front/rear)? thank you very much !! :)

tripleS

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
15 GTI PP \ 16 GT4
VWR springs

nice thread! If you want to add some details for the spring table, the technical specs for all the MK7 VWR springs including lowering & rates are towards the bottom of this page, and copied below with conversion to lbs/in:

http://racingline.nl/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=95

Golf 7 Multi-link (Not GTD/GTI) R31G7ML
Front Spring:
Lowering range: 35mm
Spring rate: 28.5N/mm (163 lbs/in)
Wire diameter: 11.75 mm
Coils: 4.75
Rear Spring:
Lowering range: 30mm
Spring rate: 38N/mm (217 lbs/in)
Wire diameter: 11.75mm
Coils: 8.5
Wire diameter: 11.75 mm
Coils: 4.75
Rear Spring:
Lowering range: 20mm
Spring rate: 38N/mm (217 lbs/in)
Wire diameter: 11.75mm
Coils: 8.5
Spring rate: 40N/mm (228 lbs/in)
Wire diameter: 12mm
Coils: 5.5
Rear Spring:
Lowering range: 20mm
Spring rate: 48N/mm (274 lbs/in)
Wire diameter: 12mm
Coils: 9.5
Spring rate: 27N/mm (155 lbs/in)
Wire diameter: 12.50mm
Coils: 4.6
Rear Spring:
Lowering range: 30mm
Wire diameter: 10.75mm
Coils: 9.9

Last edited:

DrDavid

Ready to race!
Here in Argentina GTi came from mexico.....

Stock
Front center hub to fender: 380 mm
Rear center hub to fender: 380 mm

With Eibach Pro Kit progressive
Front center hub to fender: 340 mm
Rear center hub to fender: 340 mm

Very nice but to much for me here..... wich springs can i use to put it aprox 355-360 mm ?

Coilovers ? Spaccers ?

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
All of the major springs are outlined in the first post...with the DGs being the closest to your requirement front and rear. They won't handle like your Eibachs, but the ride will be better. Not sure what your needs are, but yes, coils (street comforts etc) are another option if you have specific requirements (and many threads on coils).

ack_attack

Passed Driver's Ed
The OE "R" springs are a touch stiffer than the OE GTI springs.

Does anyone know if the "R" springs also lower than the GTI? If so, by how much?

Excellent write-up! Answered almost all my questions - except for the ones above. :D

nicksoco831

Hammersticks, you have been a tremendous help by putting together this thread, so first and foremost, thank you for your time and effort into this. I am trying to be realistic with myself in regards to modding my GTI. I have a 2018 GTI SE DSG that I will be commuting about 15k miles a year in.

I have my wheels and tires sorted out for my car, 18x8.5 HRE FF15 in tarmac with 225/40R18 Michelin PS4S tires that I'll be putting on around April or May. Flow form wheel saves around 5-6 pounds per corner, and I wanted to stick with stock size tires so I don't have to deal with rubbing or speedo issues.

I'm having a really tough time deciding on suspension parts though. I don't think I'll ever track this car, maybe one autox just to experience it, but this is primarily a street driven. I'm looking for a little more confidence inspiring feedback from my suspension. I am willing to sacrifice a small amount of comfort and NVH, in exchange for a tighter car at highway speeds and the occasional back road. I refuse to put lowering springs on stock shocks, so I am looking for a quality spring and shock combo, and don't think I can justify coilovers.

Before doing a lot of reading, my original plan/idea was as follows:
Bilstein B8's
034 Springs
034 Dynamic+ Camber Mounts
034 Rear Shock Mounts
034 Rear Sway Bar 25.4mm
034 Front Sway Bar 23.8mm
SuperPro Rear End Link
SuperPro Front End Link

But after reading your build thread, and many of your comments on other member's threads, I'm leaning towards something like this:
Bilstein B8's
H&R OE Sport Springs
SuperPro Front Sway Bar 24mm
SuperPro Rear Sway Bar 22mm
SuperPro Front End Link
SuperPro Rear End Link

Not sure if I should add in the SuperPro LCA's or their bushings in the front. I assume the rear bushings would be over kill? Not to mention added cost of install. I look forward to hearing what you (or others) think! I really want to dial in my suspension one time, as opposed to revisiting it down the line. Im resisting the urge to add power until I get suspension sorted, as well as a minor brake upgrade. Thanks!

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
I don't know enough about the Bilsteins or H&R to comment, but I am concerned about the size of the RSB compared to the front. Seems like it would push.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
ack_attack - The H&R application page doesn't show OE Sports for the R. What's the part number?

nicksoco831 - Great, glad to hear it helped. I think you'll be happy with the B8 / H&R OE Sport combo as a DD. I drove readthebook's car who has that setup and it felt better than mine around town. It was more floaty on the backroads, but certainly more confidence inspiring than stock! You'll just have to wait out the B8 backorder, which has been going on for a year now, literally.

As for sways, I've never had the SuperPro's so I really can't comment. The front sway install is no joke, so in my opinion, if you're going to do it, get something big enough to feel (or at least not second guess yourself). My vote would would be the H&R 26/24 combo with stock endlinks but that's only my opinion**. Try looking for people who have the SP sways and get their feedback.

**To Demi9od's point, the H&R 26 FSB set at the middle (one side stiff, one side soft) and Neuspeed 25mm RSB (tubular) understeers when pushed really hard, but for normal street and easy backroads it's great. I'll move it back to full soft when I hit the track.

Lastly, how wide are the 225's you got? I don't mean to talk you out of something but 235's on an 8.5 are usually a better fit.

Again, hope this helps. Cheers!

Edit: PS...

1. Regarding tires, I drove the B8’s/H&R combo on 235 Conti ECS’s on a 18x8. The 225’s on a 18x8.5 are going to feel edgier and less comfortable to some degree.

2. The B8 / 034 combo would seemingly be good as well...but there is the risk factor unless you find someone who has it.

3. As for SP bushings, and really for everything, don’t do everything at once...and I would hold off on bushings until the end. I would go wheels/tires, springs/dampers, sways, and then bushings if you feel you need it. You won’t know what you need until you use each and you won’t be able to tell what impact different parts are having.

Last edited:

ack_attack

Passed Driver's Ed
Sorry for the confustion.

What I meant by the original question was...

If stock Golf R springs were installed on a GTI, would the ride height decrease? IOW, are the stock Golf R springs shorter than stock GTI springs?

nicksoco831

ack_attack - The H&R application page doesn't show OE Sports for the R. What's the part number?

nicksoco831 - Great, glad to hear it helped. I think you'll be happy with the B8 / H&R OE Sport combo as a DD. I drove readthebook's car who has that setup and it felt better than mine around town. It was more floaty on the backroads, but certainly more confidence inspiring than stock! You'll just have to wait out the B8 backorder, which has been going on for a year now, literally.

As for sways, I've never had the SuperPro's so I really can't comment. The front sway install is no joke, so in my opinion, if you're going to do it, get something big enough to feel (or at least not second guess yourself). My vote would would be the H&R 26/24 combo with stock endlinks but that's only my opinion**. Try looking for people who have the SP sways and get their feedback.

**To Demi9od's point, the H&R 26 FSB set at the middle (one side stiff, one side soft) and Neuspeed 25mm RSB (tubular) understeers when pushed really hard, but for normal street and easy backroads it's great. I'll move it back to full soft when I hit the track.

Lastly, how wide are the 225's you got? I don't mean to talk you out of something but 235's on an 8.5 are usually a better fit.

Again, hope this helps. Cheers!

Edit: PS...

1. Regarding tires, I drove the B8’s/H&R combo on 235 Conti ECS’s on a 18x8. The 225’s on a 18x8.5 are going to feel edgier and less comfortable to some degree.

2. The B8 / 034 combo would seemingly be good as well...but there is the risk factor unless you find someone who has it.

3. As for SP bushings, and really for everything, don’t do everything at once...and I would hold off on bushings until the end. I would go wheels/tires, springs/dampers, sways, and then bushings if you feel you need it. You won’t know what you need until you use each and you won’t be able to tell what impact different parts are having.

Here is the specs on the PS4S’s, looks like a 9.1” section width with a 7.7” tread width. I can see it being a smidge stretched, but still with in acceptable limits of the tire. I haven’t purchased them yet, so I won’t rule out the 235’s, I would just prefer to keep stock tire size. I’ll do so more digging on the forums for information regarding that.

I actually thought about the H&R 26/24 combo too shortly after I posted this. I’ve seen plenty of people using those. Definitely a huge improvement over stock. I personally don’t think I’ll ever be pushing the car hard enough to “need” the end links, but it’s a decent peace of mind.

The 034 springs seem like a great option, I just don’t see too many people running them, I’ll have to look around. I also prefer the more mild drop of the H&R OE’s (even though I’m aware that my car being a dsg, it’ll be closer to the 1” drop)

I’ll definitely wait on the bushings and control arms. I guess my last question would be do you think the 034 front and rear mounts are overkill? They also have the density line stock replacement ones without the built in camber. I have some time to think while I wait for these Bilstein shocks to be back in stock, sucks that people have waited so long for them! Thanks again.

Last edited:

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
Hammersticks, you have been a tremendous help by putting together this thread, so first and foremost, thank you for your time and effort into this. I am trying to be realistic with myself in regards to modding my GTI. I have a 2018 GTI SE DSG that I will be commuting about 15k miles a year in.

I have my wheels and tires sorted out for my car, 18x8.5 HRE FF15 in tarmac with 225/40R18 Michelin PS4S tires that I'll be putting on around April or May. Flow form wheel saves around 5-6 pounds per corner, and I wanted to stick with stock size tires so I don't have to deal with rubbing or speedo issues.

I'm having a really tough time deciding on suspension parts though. I don't think I'll ever track this car, maybe one autox just to experience it, but this is primarily a street driven. I'm looking for a little more confidence inspiring feedback from my suspension. I am willing to sacrifice a small amount of comfort and NVH, in exchange for a tighter car at highway speeds and the occasional back road. I refuse to put lowering springs on stock shocks, so I am looking for a quality spring and shock combo, and don't think I can justify coilovers.

Before doing a lot of reading, my original plan/idea was as follows:
Bilstein B8's
034 Springs
034 Dynamic+ Camber Mounts
034 Rear Shock Mounts
034 Rear Sway Bar 25.4mm
034 Front Sway Bar 23.8mm
SuperPro Rear End Link
SuperPro Front End Link

But after reading your build thread, and many of your comments on other member's threads, I'm leaning towards something like this:
Bilstein B8's
H&R OE Sport Springs
SuperPro Front Sway Bar 24mm
SuperPro Rear Sway Bar 22mm
SuperPro Front End Link
SuperPro Rear End Link

Not sure if I should add in the SuperPro LCA's or their bushings in the front. I assume the rear bushings would be over kill? Not to mention added cost of install. I look forward to hearing what you (or others) think! I really want to dial in my suspension one time, as opposed to revisiting it down the line. Im resisting the urge to add power until I get suspension sorted, as well as a minor brake upgrade. Thanks!

RSB should be bigger, didn't he state that, also the OEM Front Sway bar is 24mm, so not sure what buying another 24mm FSB would really do (yes maybe more quality but if I was going to get a FSB I would get a bigger one i guess. Just my 2 cents