GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

3 Years Old - Warranty Over

ColinStone

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII 2016 Match BM
My car is now 3 years old and out of warranty. Nothing done during the warranty period except routine services.
All other VWs I've serviced myself once out of warranty without any issues.
Have VAG COM.
Wonder if I should do any different with this Golf
Going to keep it for a good few years before going electric - £0 VED and nice leather job and low mileage.
Any thoughts??

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
Does the front suspension creak yet?

...if it creaks, it's probably made by VAG

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Mines now 4yr old.....& I intend to keep for 14yrs..same length as my previous VAG car...

I do my own servicing & have VCDS & all the service/strip down books for the car....

if you like it keep it...spending more money out on new then immediately lose value by driving it out of the showroom is mad....

as for front suspension creaking...swap the front ARB drop links for Meyle HD ones ...common problem on most VAG cars the ball joints in the drop links are too small & go...

ColinStone

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII 2016 Match BM
No front suspension creaking but will bear that in mind.

Which recommended tear down manual - Elsawin?? - which I used for my Mk4s.

Having had Golfs since the mid 80s, they are at least refreshingly similar under the skin.

What about checking in with VW for software updates etc? - don't have satnav.

Might give it a present with a TDI Tuning Box!!

Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
they did the last software update (firmware) last year..I don't think there are any more the early cars..

Elsawin..is what you want..pay fro 1hr or 24hrs...& download...

You don't have to print off in the time slot like before...just save as pdf to computer & it works...I've had the stuff on this for over 1yr & its not disappeared on me...

ColinStone

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII 2016 Match BM
Final Q - is 1 litre of brake fluid sufficient to flush through the system?

And would Castrol React Performance Dot 4 Fully Synthetic Car Brake Fluid be OK? Pretty fair price at Opie Oils.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
1lt is never enough...you need to flush about 250ml from each...I usually get 1.5lts to 2lts...

Mind you I'm getting the dealership to do mine next week when it has its MOT....I did the rest of the servicing myself...

ColinStone

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII 2016 Match BM
Ahhh. Just remembered I'll need a crush washer for the sump drain plug. Think it is 14mm ID x 20MM OD.
Grateful if someone can confirm??

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Ahhh. Just remembered I'll need a crush washer for the sump drain plug. Think it is 14mm ID x 20MM OD.
Grateful if someone can confirm??

14x20 part number N0138157....

I did mine last month...:cool:

ColinStone

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII 2016 Match BM
So, this is an interesting oil change.
Went underneath and found sump drain plug very tight, and with paint mark across plug and sump. Anyway came out OK.
Oil filter was a different story. My strap filter tool was almost useless, but eventually just shifted filter. But filter still incredibly tight to unscrew. As it came off, I saw that it was the stub tube coming out of the block.
Reached end of thread and all came away.
Couldn't remove stub tube from filter. Garage 5 doors away let me clamp filter in their bench vice and with mole grips, managed with difficulty to unscrew stub.
Threads of filter totally stripped and threads on stub filled with filter metal.
Last oil change by VW 23 Oct 2017.
So called service manager, but unavailable and after waiting 30 mins for return call, hopped on bike and took bits to him. Luckily only 8 miles to VW.
He was shocked /surprised by what I showed him. He printed out service sheet and then said technician had been sacked end 2017 for probably poor workshop practice, he didn't exactly say.
So, upshot is new stub tube, drain plug and filter to be delivered to my home am tomorrow foc. And if new stub tube is not available, then a car for the weekend.
Before going to VW, I had refitted the sump plug with new crush washer and stopped a quarter turn short of the paint marks - going to the paint marks was just too tight.
Phew!!

Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
So, this is an interesting oil change.
Went underneath and found sump drain plug very tight, and with paint mark across plug and sump. Anyway came out OK.
Oil filter was a different story. My strap filter tool was almost useless, but eventually just shifted filter. But filter still incredibly tight to unscrew. As it came off, I saw that it was the stub tube coming out of the block.
Reached end of thread and all came away.
Couldn't remove stub tube from filter. Garage 5 doors away let me clamp filter in their bench vice and with mole grips, managed with difficulty to unscrew stub.
Threads of filter totally stripped and threads on stub filled with filter metal.
Last oil change by VW 23 Oct 2017.
So called service manager, but unavailable and after waiting 30 mins for return call, hopped on bike and took bits to him.
He was shocked /surprised by what I showed him. He printed out service sheet and then said technician had been sacked end 2017 for probably poor workshop practice, he didn't exactly say.
So, upshot is new stub tube, drain plug and filter to be delivered to my home am tomorrow foc. And if new stub tube is not available, then a car for the weekend.
Before going to VW, I had refitted the sump plug with new crush washer and stopped a quarter turn short of the paint marks - going to the paint marks was just too tight.
Phew!!

forget the paint marks..they were old factory inspection marks....

you do it up to a set torque (30NM)..& the same with the oil filter.(20NM)..& you need a 76mm with 14 flats cup socket for oil filters...I got my laser brand one from halfrauds...

ColinStone

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII 2016 Match BM
Well, the paint marks weren't there when I changed the filter at 1000 miles - and this jammed filter and crush washer were the third on the car. So definitely put on after factory.
I can do the filter hand tight to 20nm - no need for socket. Never used one on a filter in 45 years, and just a strap wrench to remove is fine.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Well, the paint marks weren't there when I changed the filter at 1000 miles - and this jammed filter and crush washer were the third on the car. So definitely put on after factory.
I can do the filter hand tight to 20nm - no need for socket. Never used one on a filter in 45 years, and just a strap wrench to remove is fine.

if not factory paint marks then its them marking the fact that the original factory sump plug/washer has been removed as these are different type & get swapped out at the first service....there have never been any tighten to paint marks on VW in decades as far as I remember...

the cup sockets make removal & tightening to torque dead simple....& yes I have several strap wrenches...