GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Daily Driver & Motorsports Golf R

eventhorizon

Go Kart Champion
Had a productive and very fun weekend. Saturday was Auto-X practice with 10 runs. Used the Federal 595 RS-RR practice tires. Sunday was the Champ event with 4 runs. I used Hankook Z214 C51 tires, not the best choice but they needed to be heat cycled for next month's track day at Chuckwalla. Both sets needed 2 laps before they started to grip. My back end is a little too happy with my current setup, almost fishtailed a few times. Ferodo DS2500s did a great job, I noticed no brake fade and would recommend to anyone doing auto-x. In my class I finished 4th out of 7. Everybody above me was running Hoosiers and E50+ tunes. I have a set of Hoosiers myself but I need to get different wheels and won't be using them till next year's season. I was 3 seconds behind the leader, and 2 seconds away from the other 2. Overall raw time I finished 39th out of 122. There's a couple more things that are in my garage and are waiting to be installed that I believe will improve my times. This includes a Superpro front sway bar with endlinks, Superpro front control arm bushings, Vorshlag adjustable camber plates, and a CTS deadset kit (to prevent subframe shifting.) The front sway bar will help even things out a bit and I need some camber bad as you'll see in one of the pictures below. This weekend I also installed a CTS resonator delete that I picked up for $127 during their sale. I borrowed the cutting tool from Autozone and it was an easy install. I'll post a few run videos later on. Time for pictures!

Can you tell I need more camber? Probably need to flip these tires before track day.

Some of the competition.

Weight reduction!

A view from below.

You cooked those tires brother! hahaha

eventhorizon

Go Kart Champion

mto386

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
I told the Mrs. I bought this $1,000 truck for house projects to avoid putting paint, landscaping materials, bathroom remodel stuff, dog beach vehicle, lumber, etc into the R. Don't tell her but the truth is I needed an extra vehicle due to race car projects.

mto386

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Did Auto-X practice with 10 runs Saturday. Used the Federal 595 RS-RR practice tires. They are now corded. If I had more camber these would have lasted a couple more events. Camber plates come in today! Time for some new rubber. Probably go back to the RS-RR for practice but size up to 245/35/18. Anybody have a recommendation for cheap auto-x only tire? Video of one of the runs below.

Last edited:

mto386

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Decided to buy the larger Euro 8" screen now that Waze works on Apple Car Play. Took about 30 mins last night to swap it out. It's only 1.5" bigger but it makes a huge difference, cops show up larger now! $200 for the screen from Poland used and $115 for the bezel/vent new from E-Acca. Fits perfect. I did loose one of those metal clips down into the nether regions of the console. Anybody have a part number? I think it's 3B0867190

Last edited:

mto386

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Instructed at an Auto-X Novice School last week. I was given a Focus RS and ST. They both improved their times dramatically by the end and had fun doing it! Also ruined my 3 y/o stock tires and had a beer with an mk6 R. Waiting for a good time to install some new parts....

mto386

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Haven't tracked the car much lately. Didn't have my car for almost 2 weeks due to warranty work. On my way to an epic seafood and bottomless mimosa brunch I received a Christmas tree of dash lights. They didn't happen all at once, one BING! after another for about a solid minute while driving. Seemed to be driving okay so I wasn't missing out on that brunch. After getting home I had to sort through all the VCDS errors. I figured it was an ABS sensor issue with the errors on the screen. Noticed the back left sensor was the only sensor that had the error. Sensor was $75 so instead of trying to chase down this problem I gave it over to VW. Ended up not being the sensor but instead the wheel bearing out of tolerance. Since they had the car for so long I also had them do the haldex service @ 20,000 miles.