GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

OEM 17" wheels that clear PP/R calipers

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
^^I just linked that site for the wheel info

I can't remember if it was them, or a different refinished wheel retailer, but years ago I ordered a set of 4 wheels and they were all a different shade of silver and the quality of the finish was different too. (aka they weren't all done at the same time)
I'm leery of refinished wheels now

Beju

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit Ed.

I can't remember if it was them, or a different refinished wheel retailer, but years ago I ordered a set of 4 wheels and they were all a different shade of silver and the quality of the finish was different too. (aka they weren't all done at the same time)
Given my favorable results with the powder coating company I used that refinished and powder coated the wheels I brought them for $200, I'd sooner buy another set of rashed/surface corroded wheels from Facebook marketplace and get them in a custom color.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

RobWCanada

Ohhh. I see. So autorimshop is selling refinished wheels? I was asking because I can get the VW rims there (obv...you linked it) for $250-300 cheaper than brand new from the VW dealership here in Canada.

But if they're refinished I just assume buy new from my dealer. $265 CDN on average per wheel -- $200 USD, not terrible.

Silex, Tronic, Sima are my options (all about the same price) ...Goal rims no longer available.

I'm leaning toward the Silex. But the spokes may cake with snow. Vs Sima which are solid...hmm

Tooly

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
Have you checked out your local Craigslist or Facebook marketplace? I've purchased 3 or 4 sets of used OEM wheels that way, including the current ones I just put on.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Given my favorable results with the powder coating company I used that refinished and powder coated the wheels I brought them for $200, I'd sooner buy another set of rashed/surface corroded wheels from Facebook marketplace and get them in a custom color.

Well yeah, if you're taking a set to a place and having them done at the same time....that's a little different
The set I received was a pieced together set

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Ohhh. I see. So autorimshop is selling refinished wheels? I was asking because I can get the VW rims there (obv...you linked it) for $250-300 cheaper than brand new from the VW dealership here in Canada.

But if they're refinished I just assume buy new from my dealer. $265 CDN on average per wheel -- $200 USD, not terrible.

Yeah those are/were refinished wheels

Why not just buy an aftermarket set for much less?

mattkosem1

Ready to race!
Keep an eye out for the right deal if you're able to wait. I spent about 6wks looking for the ones I got, and eventually a set of new old stock wheels showed up at a liquidator. I made a "or best offer" offer on eBay and ended up with the whole set for $400.

--Matt

malhi179

Car(s)
2018 VW GTI Autobann
I recently bought 2018 VW GTI Autobann. It came with 225/40/R18 tires on 18*7.5 stock rims ( believe offset is 49) and have got type R brakes.

I have a set of good set of winter tires from my old 2014 Jetta which are 225/45/R17 on 17*7 vw rims with offset 54.

I am wondering if my Jetta winter tires/rims will fit on my 2018 GTI Autobann without causing any damage to suspension/brakes etc.

Any help is appreciated...

mattkosem1

Ready to race!
I recently bought 2018 VW GTI Autobann. It came with 225/40/R18 tires on 18*7.5 stock rims ( believe offset is 49) and have got type R brakes.

I have a set of good set of winter tires from my old 2014 Jetta which are 225/45/R17 on 17*7 vw rims with offset 54.

I am wondering if my Jetta winter tires/rims will fit on my 2018 GTI Autobann without causing any damage to suspension/brakes etc.

Depends on the wheel. Some fit, some don't. Got a pic?

Beju

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit Ed.

The VW Classix I got refinished and powder coated for my 2019 GTI (PP brakes standard on 2019s) are 17x7 with a 54mm offset, so I'm going to give you a cautious, "probably" will clear the brakes.

The new/old winter tires will be 0.4% smaller, but that's close enough that you won't be driving dramatically faster than your speedometer displays.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

mattkosem1

Ready to race!
That's the "Porto" wheel which is the 6th car (silver) pictured in the first post

So, yes, they'll clear/work

You just might have to watch the wheel weight placement, or use spacers like I recommended in your other thread
Yup. I had a set of those on my R too (there's another pic a few posts in). I had the shop that mounted tires on mine put the weights on the inboard edge of the wheel to avoid any issues.

--Matt

Last edited:

RobWCanada

thanks guys...didn't know anyone responded...the email notifications were going to my SPAM folder!

Anyway, ya, looking on Kijiji, if I can't find a nice set of VW rims from there I'll prolly get the Silex ones. I'd really like the Goal rims, but nobody has em in stock.

R

RobWCanada

What about the Avignon wheel? Does anyone know if that fits? I can't see any evidence of people mounting those on their R.

I believe the part # is 1K0601025AE88Z

R