GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Next mods? If any?

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
I figured most people know how port injection works and the amazing benefits of running pure E85 on our cars.

https://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/809526-UM-E85-flex-fuel-tune

$3,800 all-in and around 370/380whp and over 400wtq now. I am at 5,000 elevation so that makes me lose a bit there.

I think a lot of people have heard about it, but probably not in use with the stock IS38. Not criticizing your choices at all, but unless you're thinking of going big turbo even a LPFP upgrade isn't probably on your radar.

Also, between the availability of E85 in some areas (yes I know the flex fuel sensor will adjust if you can only get 91/93) and the dollar:HP payoff compared to a hybrid turbo, and tuner selection early on to support E85/hybrid and big turbos, it's a tough broad recommendation to give. Not saying it doesn't have merit, but it's really not for everyone.

Coolrunning39

Go Kart Newbie
I think a lot of people have heard about it, but probably not in use with the stock IS38. Not criticizing your choices at all, but unless you're thinking of going big turbo even a LPFP upgrade isn't probably on your radar.

Also, between the availability of E85 in some areas (yes I know the flex fuel sensor will adjust if you can only get 91/93) and the dollar:HP payoff compared to a hybrid turbo, and tuner selection early on to support E85/hybrid and big turbos, it's a tough broad recommendation to give. Not saying it doesn't have merit, but it's really not for everyone.

Oh absolutely! I plan on going the EFR 7163 route in the future and I firmly believe that the E85 is a crucial part in maxing out that turbo before ripping apart the motor. I currently also have the Walbro 450 pump in play as to have full fuel delivery for my current setup and future.

Plus, giving the is38 an E85 boost is like adding a completely new turbo. An addition of 70wtq is nothing to push off, especially up in elevation.

TAZZ1

Ready to race!
Not sure if its included in "software" but are you running a TCU tune?
Assuming yours is US spec I'd lower it, ideally on performance coils, or ROW spec OEM suspension, or if on a budget just springs. Wins on both performance and looks.
And get a DV+ for better response, boost holding and noises.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Oh absolutely! I plan on going the EFR 7163 route in the future and I firmly believe that the E85 is a crucial part in maxing out that turbo before ripping apart the motor. I currently also have the Walbro 450 pump in play as to have full fuel delivery for my current setup and future.

Plus, giving the is38 an E85 boost is like adding a completely new turbo. An addition of 70wtq is nothing to push off, especially up in elevation.

There is also a really strong case for NOT maxing the stock IS38, at least one that hasn't been balanced. Custom tuning to push your car 30-40whp over standard stage2 numbers is running what max PSI?

I've seen E85 dynos and it does add a ton of midrange torque, and can support more top end but turbos have a hard limit based on efficiency and good sense on how fast you spin it. You can either push a ton of hot air or grenade it doing that, where a bigger turbo is going to be more efficient and less stressed at the same power levels.

Coolrunning39

Go Kart Newbie
There is also a really strong case for NOT maxing the stock IS38, at least one that hasn't been balanced. Custom tuning to push your car 30-40whp over standard stage2 numbers is running what max PSI?

I've seen E85 dynos and it does add a ton of midrange torque, and can support more top end but turbos have a hard limit based on efficiency and good sense on how fast you spin it. You can either push a ton of hot air or grenade it doing that, where a bigger turbo is going to be more efficient and less stressed at the same power levels.

In the sense of looking for the "next step up" in power without adding a brand new turbo, there is definitely a case in going the E85 route. The advance in timing and roughly same PSI on the turbo is a great addition. The internal engine cooling and cleaning effects from running E85 are a plus as well.

I personally do not see any reason not to add this. I have also not see grenaded turbos from running E85 but thats just me. If it blows, well thats the best excuse to upgrade or go to a friendly dealer. The IS38's can take a solid beating. All my opinion here of course.