GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Speaking of resale value...

cb1111

Here is how VW group fits into the top ten in resale value in Germany. This was published by Schwacke - the German equivalent of Edmunds/blackbook/kbb/manheim etc. Schwacke values are generally spot on unlike the US valuations.

This is the residual value afterfour years

Kompaktwagen (Compact)
1. Mercedes-Benz A 250 (59,71%)
2. Mazda3 Skyactiv G-165 (56,17%)
3. VW Golf 1.5 TSI Blue Motion (54,74%)

Mittelklasse (midsize)
1. Skoda Octavia Combi 1.8 TSI (53,50%) roughly equivalent to the GSW
2. Mazda6 Kombi Skyactiv G-165 (52,89%)
3. Opel Insignia Grand Sport 1.6 Diesel (52,30%)

Top spot goes to the Romanian Dacia Sandero with a 69% residual value.

A bit different from the US market - no Hondas or Toyotas on this list.

Last edited:

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Certain German brands are known for bumping up their residuals even in US and that does not translate to resale value. But still, these numbers are interesting to look at.

cb1111

Certain German brands are known for bumping up their residuals even in US and that does not translate to resale value. But still, these numbers are interesting to look at.

Perhaps residual was the wrong word to use. This is the actual expected resale at the end of 4 years.

And yes, Mercedes in particular, is known to use high residuals to move their leases in the US. Leasing is virtually unheard of in Germany.

cb1111

My Deutsche is about 50 years rusty. Does it list the Golf R?
Nope it is not in the top spots but let me check with a buddy. I didn't want to spend any money to buy a valuation. I'll have something tomorrow.

What year are you interested in?

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Perhaps residual was the wrong word to use. This is the actual expected resale at the end of 4 years.

And yes, Mercedes in particular, is known to use high residuals to move their leases in the US. Leasing is virtually unheard of in Germany.

If this is the expected resale value, then these vehicles retain their numbers pretty good.

in US, both BMW and Merc are known for their inflated residuals. Not sure why Audi & VW are not following their footsteps to promote their lease as well.

cb1111

cb1111

If this is the expected resale value, then these vehicles retain their numbers pretty good.

in US, both BMW and Merc are known for their inflated residuals. Not sure why Audi & VW are not following their footsteps to promote their lease as well.
Yeah, I found it odd that Audi doesn't use inflated residuals as well. I can understand why VW doesn't.

cb1111

My Deutsche is about 50 years rusty. Does it list the Golf R?
Just got an email from my friend who has a Schwacke account.

He optioned out a 2016 R DSG similar to what we'd find here in the US. That car would sticker for 52468 Euros or about $49240 (after the MwSt [VAT] is subtracted, converted to dollars using today's rates - not important for this exercise but is an interesting factoid). 24k km per year (roughly 15k miles)

Expected resale value is 30562.61 Euros or 58.25% after 4 years.

Again, better than in the US. This car takes a huge hit because of gas mileage.

Another interesting factoid is that German model years can can actually cross platforms. A car isn't described as a 2016 or 2015 but is listed as "initial registration" with a month and year. Accordingly, a "2016" R could be either a Mk6 or Mk7. A "2016" Mk6 would have a lower resale value.

Last edited:

RennWerks

Go Kart Newbie
Of course it is for Germany. Since Schwacke doesn't value cars for the US I thought that was obvious - combined with my comments about Honda and Toyota.
Not faulting your math, logic or the source you cited, ol' sport. Simply making the point that regardless of what a V-Dub may be worth in Germany, owing to a host of factors, the brand is worth much less here, year over year. See also https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43111&page=2

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
Top spot goes to the Romanian Dacia Sandero with a 69% residual value.

cb1111

Not faulting your math, logic or the source you cited, ol' sport. Simply making the point that regardless of what a V-Dub may be worth in Germany, owing to a host of factors, the brand is worth much less here, year over year. See also https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43111&page=2
Of course, nobody is saying that those values translate to the US.

What IS of interest, is that the perception of value is regional. If you look at reliability scores in Germany, VW/Audi/BMW come out far better than Honda/Toyota.

Dacia (owned by Renault) is a tiny manufacturer churning out a couple of models. The fact that it has such a high resale value is astounding - almost as if Yugo had a decent value here in the states.