GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

JB1 on a 6MT R Road Trip Review

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Some quick notes on the JB1 which was installed on April 19th for a road trip on April 21st.

Car: 2016 R, 6MT set to Individual (all
settings Sport sans Soundaktor which is Normal)
JB1: Rev 2 @ Map 1 (4.8)
Drive: Surrey, BC to Leavenworth, WA. Stopped at seattle Premium Outlets to walk around and Red Lobster in Lynnwood.
Mods: Boomba Racing Shifter Adapter, eBay clutch stop
Supporting Mods: Donna Summers on Apple Music and a Leica M2 with three rolls of Ilford HP5 film (sorry, I’m a photography nut)

Initial Thoughts: Midrange pull feels a bit more than my old MK7 GTI 6MT on ED Stage 2 HT. WOW!

Delivery is very smooth and predictable as others have already mentioned. Contrary to popular belief, I find Map 1 @ 4.8 to be very linear. Around town (say Lynnwood) or city traffic, throttle is easy to modulate, making the need for a pedal box quite unnecessary. Along I5, it’s a monster when allowed to stretch its legs. Along US 2 (fantastic set of twisties), it’s an absolute joy to drive when paired with the Boomba adapter and clutch stop. It was so awesome, I’m curious of much more linear it can be in Map 6 per a series of emails with George.

Side Note: I highly recommend the Boomba Adapter and a clutch for the 6MT folks. It made me really love manual on this car even more and wished I had it on my GTI.

We leave for home tomorrow and that means another 4 hour drive. I will post a follow up when we get home.

Cheers,
C

PS: George and I have already discussed going stock Map 6 when I get back to Vancouver as we have Chevron 94. After a week on that, he will send me a custom Map 6 for the higher RPMs.

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Home now.

JB1 = AMAZEBALLS!

For those on the fence, do it! Buy ramps, a T-25 Torx bit and you’re done! While you’re at it, get a 4mm hex and get the Boomba Adapter, and eBay clutch stop if you’re a 6MT.

I’m gonna fill up with 94 and try the M1 @ 5.0 :)

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
Hello to another Vancouver dubber. I just installed the JB1 on my MK7.5 GTI last week and I love it. I was lucky enough to find one on craigslist and got it for a good deal.

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Hello to another Vancouver dubber. I just installed the JB1 on my MK7.5 GTI last week and I love it. I was lucky enough to find one on craigslist and got it for a good deal.

Nice! I’m guessing you bought it from a local?

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
Nice! I’m guessing you bought it from a local?
Yeah it was from a local. I wasn't really thinking of getting a JB1 until I just randomly found one on CL.

lowbeta

Home now.

JB1 = AMAZEBALLS!

For those on the fence, do it! Buy ramps, a T-25 Torx bit and you’re done! While you’re at it, get a 4mm hex and get the Boomba Adapter, and eBay clutch stop if you’re a 6MT.

I’m gonna fill up with 94 and try the M1 @ 5.0 :)
Just a heads up... West Coast Chev 94 zero ethanol blend is not very good.. it logs worse than 92 Shell Washington blend e10 in my 2017 R with JB4.

Google it.. Chev 94 has had very poor results across multiple platforms here.. causes more issues for many people than Shell 91.

Cobb specifically advises people running Chev 94 to run the 91 octane map.

I have no idea why this is the case, but it may have something to do with very low turnover in the 94 tanks underground.. really disappointing for us locals actually.

Would be interested in seeing if you have a different experience.. please update us.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Ahhhhh for cryin our loud!!! But thanks for the warning.

What Map are you running on your JB4?

My routine is to gas up She’ll 92 in Blaine. Wonder if Map 6 can be run on that safely.

I’ll stay Map 6 for now, use up half a tank and see how it goes. Update soon.

Just a heads up... West Coast Chev 94 zero ethanol blend is not very good.. it logs worse than 92 Shell Washington blend e10 in my 2017 R with JB4.

Google it.. Chev 94 has had very poor results across multiple platforms here.. causes more issues for many people than Shell 91.

Cobb specifically advises people running Chev 94 to run the 91 octane map.

I have no idea why this is the case, but it may have something to do with very low turnover in the 94 tanks underground.. really disappointing for us locals actually.

Would be interested in seeing if you have a different experience.. please update us.

Cheers

lowbeta

Ahhhhh for cryin our loud!!! But thanks for the warning.

What Map are you running on your JB4?

My routine is to gas up She’ll 92 in Blaine. Wonder if Map 6 can be run on that safely.

I’ll stay Map 6 for now, use up half a tank and see how it goes. Update soon.
I'm running a very conservative Map 6 on JB4.. I fill up with 92 shell from Washington , which is be best option if you live close to the border and especially with gas prices lately.

I have a slow boost onset and peak at +4.0

Actual logs show between +4.0 and 4.5 and it feels nice and smooth. Typically zero timing corrections, which is how I like it.

I found a more aggressive boost ramp feels weird with the stock DSG programming.. car just feels better with a smoother map (slightly lower boost, ramping later). Plenty quick for now

Cheers

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Thanks! Running stock Map 6 for a week before George sends me a custom Map. Did he help you with yours?

I’m a solid 20mins from Peach Arch + Nexus = not a bad round trip at all.

But this topic brings up a great question:
As the so called “supercar capital of North America”, which Chevron stations would be best for proper 94 outside of West Van? I don’t mind driving up to Burnaby for 94. The R is a pleasure car for us, so prices aren’t an issue.

But if Shell 92 logs better than, Chevron 94, I’d rather stick to my gas up routine.

Cheers!

I'm running a very conservative Map 6 on JB4.. I fill up with 92 shell from Washington , which is be best option if you live close to the border and especially with gas prices lately.

I have a slow boost onset and peak at +4.0

Actual logs show between +4.0 and 4.5 and it feels nice and smooth. Typically zero timing corrections, which is how I like it.

I found a more aggressive boost ramp feels weird with the stock DSG programming.. car just feels better with a smoother map (slightly lower boost, ramping later). Plenty quick for now

Cheers

lowbeta

Thanks! Running stock Map 6 for a week before George sends me a custom Map. Did he help you with yours?

I’m a solid 20mins from Peach Arch + Nexus = not a bad round trip at all.

But this topic brings up a great question:
As the so called “supercar capital of North America”, which Chevron stations would be best for proper 94 outside of West Van? I don’t mind driving up to Burnaby for 94. The R is a pleasure car for us, so prices aren’t an issue.

But if Shell 92 logs better than, Chevron 94, I’d rather stick to my gas up routine.

Cheers!
I only logged one tank of 94 Chev and it was filled at the Hwy 99 station where the White Spot is, between Surrey and the Tunnel. I would have thought there is a ton of turnover there, but it still logged poorly.

I mean it was ok, but definitely more timing corrections than Washington 92 with e10.

I am pretty convinced that, for forced induction and tuning, ethanol in the gas is very beneficial.. chev 94 is e free. The Nissan GTR guys had a bunch of problems with it here locally.. I think the consensus is that Shell 91 is better gas and has less knocking when turning the boost up.

The best pump gas in Canada is probably the 94 Petro blend, WITH ethanol, that of course is not sold on the West Coast.

I'm 5m from the border so grabbing Washington 92 is a no brainer and cheaper too.

Grab a tank of 94 and run some logs.. maybe you will have a better experience!

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
I Googled this topic like you said and read the Revscene and GTR threads about it and Shell seems to be the better choice.

Yes, I wish Petro still offered 94 here. It’s the gas John@Unitronic swears by and I trust John!

I’ll get logs done when I have a chance.

Thanks!

I only logged one tank of 94 Chev and it was filled at the Hwy 99 station where the White Spot is, between Surrey and the Tunnel. I would have thought there is a ton of turnover there, but it still logged poorly.

I mean it was ok, but definitely more timing corrections than Washington 92 with e10.

I am pretty convinced that, for forced induction and tuning, ethanol in the gas is very beneficial.. chev 94 is e free. The Nissan GTR guys had a bunch of problems with it here locally.. I think the consensus is that Shell 91 is better gas and has less knocking when turning the boost up.

The best pump gas in Canada is probably the 94 Petro blend, WITH ethanol, that of course is not sold on the West Coast.

I'm 5m from the border so grabbing Washington 92 is a no brainer and cheaper too.

Grab a tank of 94 and run some logs.. maybe you will have a better experience!