GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to retro-fit the front brake air guides from the Audi RS3 (2017->)

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
I can't confirm what he said was true but that what he said. Seems pretty cheap to me too.

Definitely not calling you out, just hope no one digs too hard looking for a $5 part in the Porsche GT3 parts bin haha

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
Definitely not calling you out, just hope no one digs too hard looking for a $5 part in the Porsche GT3 parts bin haha
No offence taken[emoji846] I think even at $10 each that would seem too cheap for an OEM Porsche part.

RigWig

Passed Driver's Ed
Great tutorial, I did then install on a 2018 R today and it went off without a hitch. I didn't see a need to modify on mine as the only time it rubbed was full lock max extension which I don't see myself doing too often.
I did the install just jacking up one side of the car at a time, didn't need to take the wheels off either :)

ryohei47

Ready to race!
How are people cutting the ducts? I don't have a dremel or any powered tool for it. I have non-PP brakes so I will probably have to do quite a bit of cutting.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
How are people cutting the ducts? I don't have a dremel or any powered tool for it. I have non-PP brakes so I will probably have to do quite a bit of cutting.

Soft plastic, you can probably work through it with a utility or x-acto knife.

DAS_STIG

Banned

Read the thread. I have non pp and needed zero cutting

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Soft plastic, you can probably work through it with a utility or x-acto knife.

You can use any small hand saw to make larger cut and then utility knife to smooth edges and clean up. Not hard. Cut away from body.
On my PP with Supaloy LCA I just had to cut the 3 tabs that stick down off and clean up. Then wire tie in place. No main cuts to deflector.

I sure do not want cheap Porsche parts. Audi or nothing.

DAS_STIG

Banned
I saw that note, just figured I should cut it just in case. Good to know though

Your call if you want to cut. Remember, the only case where the brake caliper hits the air guide is on full suspension extension with the wheels at near full lock. The only way I can imagine that happening is if you're pulling some F&F re-enactment with the wheel full lock to the left, drifting at a right angle in the same direction, about to flip the car to get the right front caliper to hit the $20 piece of plastic that you forgot about because you're about to flip your car.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Your call if you want to cut. Remember, the only case where the brake caliper hits the air guide is on full suspension extension with the wheels at near full lock. The only way I can imagine that happening is if you're pulling some F&F re-enactment with the wheel full lock to the left, drifting at a right angle in the same direction, about to flip the car to get the right front caliper to hit the $20 piece of plastic that you forgot about because you're about to flip your car.

Correct.....

However the item in OEM is designed not to foul the caliper…& if you have yearly inspections in your country (we have MOT ever year after the first 3yrs)…& they have car in air & notice a piece of plastic cable tied to wishbones (which looks seriously amateur & dodgy)...they might do more checking & if it fouls the calliper as you say full lock full suspension travel (when the item on OEM does not) then it could be a fail.....

I have the 312mm (GTI/GTD) discs & it does foul.....which is why I cut...& used a sharp Stanley blade...

Reactions: JNV

DAS_STIG

Banned
Correct.....

However the item in OEM is designed not to foul the caliper…& if you have yearly inspections in your country (we have MOT ever year after the first 3yrs)…& they have car in air & notice a piece of plastic cable tied to wishbones (which looks seriously amateur & dodgy)...they might do more checking & if it fouls the calliper as you say full lock full suspension travel (when the item on OEM does not) then it could be a fail.....

I have the 312mm (GTI/GTD) discs & it does foul.....which is why I cut...& used a sharp Stanley blade...

I'm pointing out the no need to cut to ryohei because he is in California/USA and I don't believe they have such strict inspections in Cali. We don't in Illinois.

Last edited:

mattkosem1

Ready to race!
I did this on my '18 R today. I just went ahead and spent the minute dremmeling off the top corner without doing any sort of verification. It fit fine as delivered with the steering straight, but I'm the sort of person that would go nuts if I intermittently heard it touching something at full lock ever so I just played it safe.

Thanks for the tip!

swenak

Car(s)
MKVI GTI Edition 35
And what about this top-down?

Attachments

• IMG_3627.JPG
    IMG_3627.JPG
    156.7 KB · Views: 1,091
  • IMG_3638.JPG
    IMG_3638.JPG
    122.8 KB · Views: 1,093