GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Had my windshield replaced...

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
Just putting this info out there...

After getting many pits and surface chips in just 15 months of ownership here in the Bay Area, I took a rock to the windshield during a mountain drive last weekend that was almost dead center in my vision. I also had some mysterious staining I could not remove on the windshield no matter what I tried, it'd been there since I got the car. Decided I was done with this shitty Vitro Mexico glass VW uses.

Called around and found a guy who could source Saint-Gobain Sekurit glass, which is what every other window on these cars is. Had it installed today. Most other installers could source PGW (PPG) or Pilkington. Having seen a Pilkington replacement in person recently, I wasn't overly impressed.

It's DOT618 which is European build: SEKURIT SAINT‐GOBAIN HANGLAS POLSKA - Zary, Poland. It seems to be better than the original in terms of clarity. It also came with a small rubber gasket/flange along the top of the glass, which may be standard on cars that have sunroofs based on a search. I don't have a sunroof so I don't know if that's a thing, but I do know my old windshield did not have this, but this fits the car fine.

It also features of their "dBControl" tech which claims to reduce noise by 10dB over "other windshields", and their "Thermo Control" tech which "strongly decreases the direct transmission of the sun's energy into your vehicle." according to the site I was taken to when I scanned the QR code on the glass. I was surprised it had a QR code, and the installer said he'd never seen that on any windshield before, but it turns out it has info all about the windshield, which was cool to see.

The Saint-Gobain part is 8503951102, which is a match for VW 5G0-845-011-M-NVB and 5GM-845-011-C-NVB based on Google searching. It fit my car perfectly. I do not have any sensors other than my self-installed auto-dimming rear view mirror, so this would not be the correct windshield for people who have sensors for wipers and auto-headlights, or DAP.

I found the following document while searching outlining some Saint-Gobain parts for MK7 it seems. http://saint-gobain-autover.com/sites/default/files/VW Golf VII 2013 Product Announcement.pdf

I paid under $400 installed. Here's to hoping the gamble on "non-factory" glass without a VW logo, but from a VW OEM, pays off.

Edit: If you're in the Bay Area, the installer was JVS Glass Services. It's owned and operated by a guy named Jose. He was very good at responding to messages in a timely manner, and showed up 10 minutes early to the job. He was very careful and me called to come out to the car when he had a question. He was also interested in some of my mods and just generally seemed like a cool guy.

I also forgot to mention that I had a brief conversation with my Service Advisor about the glass, just for shits and giggles to see what VW charges to replace. During our conversation, He literally said to me 3 times, "Yeah, I'd try something else." when asked how often they're seeing this, or talking about quality of the glass. He wouldn't really say more, but he was definitely heavily implying that they're well aware that this factory glass SUCKS.

Edit 2: It's raining today, and my wipers even seem to like this windshield better. Not really streaking the way the factory one did...

Edit 3 by request:

Last edited:

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Awesome, this looks like the way to go for getting a replacement. I too have the strange staining that doesn't go away. Guess I gotta wait.

cruzmisl

Ready to race!
I have strange staining too! Does it looks like the attached image?

From what I can tell, it's a stain INSIDE the windshield, one one of the sides of the laminate layer.

I tried a lot of random stuff. Clay bar both sides, bartender's keeper both sides, and tons of cleaning spray. Gave up and decided it was inside the glass, not outside.

Luckily I don't get too many angles where it is visible, but I've never seen it before.

Attachments

• IMG_6895.JPG
    IMG_6895.JPG
    199.1 KB · Views: 6,058

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
I have a thread on the staining and a good pic here: http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40033

I have strange staining too! Does it looks like the attached image?

From what I can tell, it's a stain INSIDE the windshield, one one of the sides of the laminate layer. I tried a lot of random stuff. Clay bar both sides, bartender's keeper both sides, and tons of cleaning spray. Gave up and decided it was inside the glass, not outside.

Awesome, this looks like the way to go for getting a replacement. I too have the strange staining that doesn't go away. Guess I gotta wait.

@cruzmisl, yes, It was definitely on the inside of the glass, but unsure if it was on the surface or laminated in and looks similar to yours. It was only visible when there was lights shining directly on it, i.e. the sun being low in the sky in the morning or evening and being ahead of me, like in the photo in my linked thread above.

I also tried lots of stuff. Steel wool, clay, all manner of cleaning products, vinegar, even barkeepers friend INSIDE my car. The only thing I didn't try was denatured alcohol which I saw suggested online someplace in a detailing forum, mostly because I didn't want to buy a big ass container they sell at Lowes or Home Depot, and because it's caustic to paint.

@cruzmisl/Wrath: If you have staining that you can definitely prove is inside the glass within the lamination, you should seek warranty replacement via VW. It's bullshit. I was going to and then I got this rock... so I said fuck it and moved on to a different brand of glass.

I'm truly hopeful this ends up being a good decision and that this glass is stronger and more resistant to pitting and surface chips. My wife's 2015's windshield looks like it's been to hell and back, but isn't cracked and she doesn't have anything directly in her field of view when driving.

Due to how bad my eyes are and my high level of astigmatism, I see multiples of things that are close to me when I'm looking ahead, seeing multiple rock chips spots was incredible distracting.

cruzmisl

Ready to race!
Wow, your windshield looks much worse than mine. I'm slightly annoyed by it but I think I'm going to wait for a rock to hit it. Like you, mine is only visible in certain angles, during certain times of the day where the sun can hit it right, but 95% of the time I don't see it.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Can confirm that is the same staining I see. Mine looks just as bad as ReadTheBook's. I too have an astigmatism, in my left eye and have worn glasses since high school. Funny enough I got it and my bad eyesight from reading too many books in bad lighting, go figure his user name would be so accurate :p .

ecsta

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 R
Interesting.

My standard glass is so soft, it seems every piece of dirt causes a nick in it. Going to wait until something cracks or destroys it before getting it replaced, but the more options the better. I can't believe how weak it is.

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
Have you guys tried polish like ScratchX and foam applicator for the stains? If not give it a try, it might come off.

I had my GTI's glass replaced by Safelite last year. First glass they tried did not match the contour for the rear view mirror (auto wiper sensor) base and they ended up ordering a factory glass and redid mine.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
I've tried using a bunch of window cleaning products on it, and so far nothing has worked. You can rub them off, but when the window dries (interior is where the issue is), they return in the same locations. I've always assumed that it was due to off gassing by the dash, but 10k later and it still does it.

alexspeed3

Passed Driver's Ed
It’s a defect and vw will replace under warranty, had mine replaced and the second had the same issue. The regional guy did not put up a fight at all and offered a second replacement which I chose not to do.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
It’s a defect and vw will replace under warranty, had mine replaced and the second had the same issue. The regional guy did not put up a fight at all and offered a second replacement which I chose not to do.

Good to hear, will talk to my dealer about this, and request they use the glass posted about here. After all my issues, I doubt they will fight very hard.

7umberjackZac

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Gti
I've often thought to myself about replacing this shit turd glass, it's unbelievably pitted and scratched. I'm adding this to the project pile. Thank you

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

ITGUY

Autocross Newbie
Just putting this info out there...

After getting many pits and surface chips in just 15 months of ownership here in the Bay Area, I took a rock to the windshield during a mountain drive last weekend that was almost dead center in my vision. I also had some mysterious staining I could not remove on the windshield no matter what I tried, it'd been there since I got the car. Decided I was done with this shitty Vitro Mexico glass VW uses.

Called around and found a guy who could source Saint-Gobain Sekurit glass, which is what every other window on these cars is. Had it installed today. Most other installers could source PGW (PPG) or Pilkington. Having seen a Pilkington replacement in person recently, I wasn't overly impressed.

It's DOT618 which is European build: SEKURIT SAINT‐GOBAIN HANGLAS POLSKA - Zary, Poland. It seems to be better than the original in terms of clarity. It also came with a small rubber gasket/flange along the top of the glass, which may be standard on cars that have sunroofs based on a search. I don't have a sunroof so I don't know if that's a thing, but I do know my old windshield did not have this, but this fits the car fine.

It also features of their "dBControl" tech which claims to reduce noise by 10dB over "other windshields", and their "Thermo Control" tech which "strongly decreases the direct transmission of the sun's energy into your vehicle." according to the site I was taken to when I scanned the QR code on the glass. I was surprised it had a QR code, and the installer said he'd never seen that on any windshield before, but it turns out it has info all about the windshield, which was cool to see.

The Saint-Gobain part is 8503951102, which is a match for VW 5G0-845-011-M-NVB and 5GM-845-011-C-NVB based on Google searching. It fit my car perfectly. I do not have any sensors other than my self-installed auto-dimming rear view mirror, so this would not be the correct windshield for people who have sensors for wipers and auto-headlights, or DAP.

I found the following document while searching outlining some Saint-Gobain parts for MK7 it seems. http://saint-gobain-autover.com/sites/default/files/VW Golf VII 2013 Product Announcement.pdf

I paid under $400 installed. Here's to hoping the gamble on "non-factory" glass without a VW logo, but from a VW OEM, pays off.
Wow thanks for this info... definitely going to replace once a rock does my window in
I've been searching who was able to source this glass? Oh nvm I just re read you had to call around

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Yep, adding this to my list of future mods/maintenance. Thank you.