GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2017 GTi PP at VIR

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
So here are some photos of my rear Pagid pads. I will need to check the inner pads. From experience these tend to wear faster. The are kind to rotors and are streetable. I like the convenience of not having to swop pads back and forth for track/street.

Are the RS29 on the front streetable?

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Pagid RS29’s

Are the RS29 on the front streetable?

Yes they are. I did not swop my pads back and forth.
It’s hard to tell how much it impacted pad life. Track pads are expensive. The RS29’s are kind to rotors on the street. I ended up replacing rotors at the end of the season due to thermal cracking not because of wear.

I would definitely leave the rear RS19’s in for the street. I liked the extra bite from the RS29’s on the street. It’s a streetable track pad.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Ohlins R&T Install

So my Ohlins are finally being installed. The rears went in tonight.

I started on Saturday, but my SuperPro rear bushing install gave me fits. The inner lower control arm bushings were not coming out with my OTC c-clamp press. The outer was easy enough. But the inner was a PITA. I sent it to a machine shop today. Everything went back together tonight without any issues. I removed the trailing arms to get the SuperPro bushing installed.

Attachments

• 7D4AF95D-5FA2-486F-8E3D-67DC57149C4C.jpeg
    7D4AF95D-5FA2-486F-8E3D-67DC57149C4C.jpeg
    85.3 KB · Views: 154
  • 0F0139C8-DACC-4DA5-A8E5-EB156F648030.jpeg
    0F0139C8-DACC-4DA5-A8E5-EB156F648030.jpeg
    65.7 KB · Views: 162
  • 03C969F2-A111-4320-AF00-2747EA1DBE2B.jpeg
    03C969F2-A111-4320-AF00-2747EA1DBE2B.jpeg
    97.5 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:

jmason

Go Kart Newbie
I'll be interested in knowing how well these hold up in daily use. The shop I go to and believe to be pretty knowledgeable said that they are "constantly rebuilding" (their words) Ohlins that have seen dual use.
I'm still waiting on a replacement Bilstein PSS10 front strut that broke in June (sway bar attachment bracket broke off). 14-16 week wait time is what I was told. It has killed the entire HPDE season for me. I'm getting a little impatient, which led me to wonder if I should ditch the Bilsteins, bite the bullet, and switch over to Ohlins. The shop's comment threw cold water on that idea.

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
I'll be interested in knowing how well these hold up in daily use. The shop I go to and believe to be pretty knowledgeable said that they are "constantly rebuilding" (their words) Ohlins that have seen dual use.
I'm still waiting on a replacement Bilstein PSS10 front strut that broke in June (sway bar attachment bracket broke off). 14-16 week wait time is what I was told. It has killed the entire HPDE season for me. I'm getting a little impatient, which led me to wonder if I should ditch the Bilsteins, bite the bullet, and switch over to Ohlins. The shop's comment threw cold water on that idea.
MCS is always the answer

jmason

Go Kart Newbie
MCS?

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS

A good friend of mine runs Ohlins in his Mk5 R32. They have been in his car for at least the 4 years that I have known him. He does 35-40 HPDE days a year, and with his travels up and down the west coast and an annual pilgrimage to Wookies, he puts a lot of road miles on his car too. He had his first failure last month so they went in for their first rebuild. I went with Ohlins in no small part because of his experience with them. They are redesigning the MQB product right now so unless you need an immediate solution I would wait for the redesign.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Motion control suspension. Top of the line and equivalent to JRZ.

Why cheap out, go Penske or go home. :D

MCS is a good set up. I'm going to cheap out and stick with stock suspension though. I daily drive and I can't tell you the number of cars I've destroyed the lower lip by dropping the car. I'm curious to see how well the stock shocks hold up.

Last edited:

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
SuperPro Bushings for Rear Trailing Arms

Here are the rear trailing arms with the SuperPro Bushings. Just waiting on new hardware to get this all put back together. You would think that the Dealer would have the hardware in stock when considering they are one time use.

Front Ohlins are ready to go in with 450lbs springs.

Attachments

• 2A10253A-4612-4F99-8C8C-0D3B0E5F3445.jpeg
    2A10253A-4612-4F99-8C8C-0D3B0E5F3445.jpeg
    119 KB · Views: 162
  • C9621FDA-80DD-459E-99C7-F7BAD525B8E9.jpeg
    C9621FDA-80DD-459E-99C7-F7BAD525B8E9.jpeg
    80.7 KB · Views: 152
  • AB6EE29B-3B51-46DD-8010-A022AE745FA9.jpeg
    AB6EE29B-3B51-46DD-8010-A022AE745FA9.jpeg
    86.5 KB · Views: 149

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Rear Ohlins

So the rear suspension is all back together. Doing the inner lower control arm bushings slowed me down. I have an OTC C-Clamp press and it is not the best tool for the job. Outer bushing in the upright was a snap. I also swopped out the trailing arm bushing.

The other PITA was releasing the upper clip on the evap tank on the RHS rear. Working with a mirror and a screwdriver I managed to get it unhooked to access the top shock mount. This was more by luck than anything else. Does anyone have a good way to get the evap tank unclipped.

Attachments

• 77768244-F25C-4175-AF15-2FF8ADEE4C49.jpeg
    77768244-F25C-4175-AF15-2FF8ADEE4C49.jpeg
    100.5 KB · Views: 127
  • 79C61F4F-4BA9-4052-B19E-2A8C5E920F93.jpeg
    79C61F4F-4BA9-4052-B19E-2A8C5E920F93.jpeg
    84.8 KB · Views: 134

jmason

Go Kart Newbie
I have removed the tank a couple of times. The clips are now broken. There doesn’t seem to be any ill effect.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Motion control suspension. Top of the line and equivalent to JRZ.

My buddy has MCS on his M3 and recently blew one after a single off track incident and about 2 track seasons. It took 8 weeks for them to send a rebuilt shock to his shop.

I've generally had good experience with MCS, but recently when I was asking questions in prep for the GTI, their customer service seemed to lack compared to what I remember. I think they're just super busy, but it's something to consider...

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
A good friend of mine runs Ohlins in his Mk5 R32. They have been in his car for at least the 4 years that I have known him. He does 35-40 HPDE days a year, and with his travels up and down the west coast and an annual pilgrimage to Wookies, he puts a lot of road miles on his car too. He had his first failure last month so they went in for their first rebuild. I went with Ohlins in no small part because of his experience with them. They are redesigning the MQB product right now so unless you need an immediate solution I would wait for the redesign.

I thought they finished the redesign? Are they redesigning again?