GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Roll-Control Lowering Springs Now Available (MK7 GTI)

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
Thanks for the pics! How's the ride?

I’ve only driven 50 highway miles so far, but I would say it rides pretty much the same on the highway as stock, however it’s a little more jumpy and responsive to bumps/ridges/potholes. Around town it feels the same as stock. I haven’t taken any turns besides a few freeway onramps, but it does certainly seem to corner flatter than stock. I’m hoping to go on a nice real drive later this week so I can report more fully, but so far I’m very happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JD-1

Ready to race!
So at 1.125 inches is this about the same as VWR springs?

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
So at 1.125 inches is this about the same as VWR springs?

I think VWR springs are advertised as 1.3", so this is a little less. Looking at my photos and comparing them to photos of cars with VWR or ED springs, this does seem not quite as low, which complements my findings. Still a lot lower than the 1/2" - 3/4" advertised though.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
For how easy it is to install new shocks/struts when replacing springs (rears don't really count I guess, but they are super simple), I don't understand why people wouldn't save an extra month or two and replace them at the same time. You are going to have to do it sooner or later, what is your labor worth?

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
When lowering using the springs, does it cause the weels to rub when fully turning steering wheel?

On my 225/40/18 tires on 18x8 et 45 rims there is no rub at full lock.

I’m putting on 235/40/18 tires and 5/10mm spacers in a week or two though and I’ll update then.

Raegar

Ready to race!
Nope. Collecting dust in the garage. Not sure about springs. 034 is having an open house at the end of June so might get theirs to try something new. We’ll see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have had the 034 springs installed on my car for about 4k miles and they are extremely nice! And for me, the perfect drop - especially considering my aftermarket front bumper sits lower then OEM and I still wanted to be functional =)

I've ridden in several VWR lowered GTI's and I can easily say 034 ride much better. I have not in APR ones so I cannot compare against them.

mynewfast

On my 225/40/18 tires on 18x8 et 45 rims there is no rub at full lock.

I’m putting on 235/40/18 tires and 5/10mm spacers in a week or two though and I’ll update then.

Please do! Also, let me know your impressions on ride quality and handling once you get our on the ride you mentioned. Very interested to hear your opinion.

Did you also purchase sway bars as well, by chance?

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
Please do! Also, let me know your impressions on ride quality and handling once you get our on the ride you mentioned. Very interested to hear your opinion.

Did you also purchase sway bars as well, by chance?

Tires/spacers installed today. First thoughts: definitely looks better, everything is nice and flush and the extra tire size fills out the wheel well better. No rubbing issues so far, although I’ve just driven it around town here and there.

I do not have any aftermarket sway bars or shocks, just springs so far.

F1fletch1

Tires/spacers installed today. First thoughts: definitely looks better, everything is nice and flush and the extra tire size fills out the wheel well better. No rubbing issues so far, although I’ve just driven it around town here and there.

I do not have any aftermarket sway bars or shocks, just springs so far.

In for updates and new pics with spacers. Love the drop, very tasteful and not slammed.

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
In for updates and new pics with spacers. Love the drop, very tasteful and not slammed.

Check my build thread (link in signature) there’s a few photos at the end of page 2 that show what it looks like.

Engineer90

Ready to race!
When lowering using the springs, does it cause the weels to rub when fully turning steering wheel?

In stock Austins, no rubbing. If you want to do a bigger size, definitely do the fender screw mod. No rubbing in full lock, potholes, or dips. This is my setup:

18x8 et45
245/45/17
lowered on APR springs (stock dampers)

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I didn't see this thread before installing these and I'm pretty annoyed. They dropped the car 1.1".

APR, why advertise something that isn't true? You've wasted my time and money. How do you expect people to trust your products?

VL3X

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
I didn't see this thread before installing these and I'm pretty annoyed. They dropped the car 1.1".

APR, why advertise something that isn't true? You've wasted my time and money. How do you expect people to trust your products?

I'm pretty sure the APR springs are made by Eibach. I've been very happy with the Eibach Prokit springs, but they did advertise a ~1" drop and it's more like 1.3-1.5. I'm thinking these manufactures take initial measurements right after install without giving the suspension time to settle in.

Last edited: