GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Roll-Control Lowering Springs Now Available (MK7 GTI)

JAKS_MK7

Deciding between these springs or VWR springs. Live in New York and so we tend to get a lot of potholes. looking for springs that are very similar to stock but a bit lower. Would these be the best fit for me?

Renck

Ready to race!
Any word on how much drop after they settled? Looks like 1" right at install time. Which is way more than advertised of 1/2 - 3/4.. 25-50% more before even settling in. That advertising isn't even close.

I was very interested in the "advertised" drop but it seems they are no different than any of the others which are too low for what I want. APR really needs to update the website if they are dropping cars 1"+. The APR car pics looked WAY more than advertised drop as well and these measurements confirm it.

It really is hard to find a good 3/4" max drop spring for better performance. Non DG. The Eibach PRO kits are supposed to be 1" but looking at people's pics they look no different than VWR drop. :confused:

Oops, I missed your post. I can try to take new measurements, but the issue is that I went with aftermarket wheels and different tires. So, once again, no issue on doing that, but we aren't talking about a real apples to apples comparison.

Unless you are willing to wait for a couple of weeks as I'm planning to install new strut bearings and at that time, I can try to put back the Nogaro wheels/tires and re-measure all corners. But, once again it might be in two weeks or so. Let me know.

gti9251

Passed Driver's Ed
I believe so. We didn't go too low or too harsh. Doing so would prematurely damage the dampers.

Arin,

The published drop for these springs is 1/2" to 3/4" but it looks closer to 1" on most cars?

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
Hey Hammersticks, I’ve read a ton of your suspension posts across the forum and wanted to ask for your advice.

I’m looking for the most mildest drop available, would H&R OE Springs be my best bet? I do spirited driving on super technical roads in southern Appalachia, so performance is somewhat important even though I’m currently happy enough, I also live in Atlanta where we have terrible roads.

I’m also DSG, with DCC. I quite enjoy it, it’s got 41k mi on it now. Are you saying the DCC dampers have more longevity than the standard stock dampers? If not, do you recommend a DCC compliant shock?

Thank you!!

Just stumbled upon this. I was referring to the electronics involved vs. longevity. I don't have DCC myself so I haven't researched too much but there are threads like these if you're looking for alternatives: https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18844

As for springs, a mild drop with an aggressive spring rate doesn't seem to exist for these cars, at least at the $200-$300 price point. Heck, mild drop springs barely even exist for this car. (I don't consider a 1" drop mild.)

As for the HR OE Sports, from what I've heard they don't do well with DCC. That was just from one guy though. Maybe other guys have had a better experience.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

bluedoggiant

Go Kart Newbie
Just stumbled upon this. I was referring to the electronics involved vs. longevity. I don't have DCC myself so I haven't researched too much but there are threads like these if you're looking for alternatives: https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18844

As for springs, a mild drop with an aggressive spring rate doesn't seem to exist for these cars, at least at the $200-$300 price point. Heck, mild drop springs barely even exist for this car. (I don't consider a 1" drop mild.)

As for the HR OE Sports, from what I've heard they don't do well with DCC. That was just from one guy though. Maybe other guys have had a better experience.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Appreciate the pointer, think I'll take XM_Rocks recommendation and try MSS Street Standard springs at max height. You have any experience with those? I heard a whisper they may go on sale within the month.

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
Appreciate the pointer, think I'll take XM_Rocks recommendation and try MSS Street Standard springs at max height. You have any experience with those? I heard a whisper they may go on sale within the month.

Could never get past the sticker shock but have heard great things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CDM MK7

Ready to race!
Could never get past the sticker shock but have heard great things.

You ever end up installing those Koni's?

bluedoggiant

Go Kart Newbie
Nope. Collecting dust in the garage. Not sure about springs. 034 is having an open house at the end of June so might get theirs to try something new. We’ll see.

034 should lower about the same as APR from what I’ve seen. I wonder how the rides compare.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
We didn't go too low or too harsh. Doing so would prematurely damage the dampers.

The general understanding is the use of any non-stock spring will cause the stock dampers to wear/fail earlier than normal due to reduced travel. VWR says the same thing, and plenty of people have seen their stock dampers have reduced ride quality over time with VWRs installed.

My point is, your statement comes across as "our springs won't hurt your stock dampers any more than stock springs." and I just don't see how that's possible.

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
Had these installed yesterday. Have driven about 50 miles with them so far. I got about a 1.125" drop overall. Here's a before and after and a complete measurement table. My car is on 225/40/18 tires and 18x8 rim. Stock dampers, no spacers or any other suspension work.

Before:

After:

VL3X

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
Thanks for the pics! How's the ride?