GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stratified Automotive Custom Etune

Cameron1292

Ready to race!
I wanted to start this thread as a go too for anyone interested in the stratified tune for our mk7 gti/R. Specifically for the gti, because that's what I have but it will serve its purpose for R owners as well. I browsed the internet for months deciding who I wanted to go with for my protune/Etune. I knew personally an ots map wouldn't cut it for me. Not to get into why I didn't go with the owner tuning companies, I went with stratified because there is nothing but praise for them from the ecoboost community. They have a fantastic website with great blogs/articles on cars like the st, rs, Mazdaspeed, and even ours. After some communications back and forth I decided on them. So I wanted to walk everyone through the process because there is almost no info on our forums for stratified except one or two people and I believe they are is38. I'll be updating with revision times, quality of the tune, and dyno numbers at the end. If anyone has questions feel free to ask!

Tune results edited below.

EDIT: May 2018

Today I got the word from Alex that my tune is done and we can start on my e30 setup. I'll update after that's finished but the main tune people will be getting is a regular pump gas tune. I'm going to jump on a dyno hopefully in the next week or so. I'll post that up when the time comes. As for the 93 tune I am very happy. It's clean and smooth. Power delivery comes on smooth and stays around for a majority of the RPM range. No jerky boost spikes. 2 revisions ago it was a little more aggressive but needed to be turned down because my gas quality wasn't consistent. I'll gladly take a power hit for better daily drivability. I'll have the e30 tune for max power anyways. My final revision (2.0) is the cleanest I've had and also has updated throttle response. I got my base map mid January and got my final revision a few days ago. That's 4 months minus 2 weeks I was on vacation, a week Alex was at Cobb, and 2 week period I had the worst gas possible and couldn't get logs over to Alex. That brings my total process time to about 2 1/2 to 3 months give or take. They have also picked up business a ton recently. Revisions were weekly in the beginning, then became about a week and a half apart. I had 10 revisions in total. 1 was a waste because we reversed what we did previously and went back. Then 1 was to fix for the gas. In the end 8 legitimate revisions. In final review, the process was great. Alex is very informative and he knows his shit. He has a ton of patience. The tune turned out great, feels powerful, great mpg, and the added crackle tune is great. Below are my final 3 logs on my final revision. There are 3 files on this link.

https://datazap.me/u/cameron1292/stratified-v20-final-revision?log=0&data=4-7

EDIT:June 2018

Got it on a mustang dyno. Numbers and video are below.

93 tune Mustang dyno results 301/362

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WKxFzD8M2lzWwI4FZ7iewyWvuqVA3SHS/view?usp=drivesdk

EDIT:January 2019

Tune on pause due to dsg slipping. Got it on a Dyno jet for my e30. Small correction while on the Dyno but nothing major. Numbers and video below.

E30 tune Dyno jet 315/374

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pWw9EGEqWVs5SbwbE__08OlF0suaVG0I/view?usp=drivesdk

EDIT: March 19

Strat dsg software flashed, ic installed and tunes picked back up. Will update with more info.

Last edited:

Cameron1292

Ready to race!
First step, I got an email from stratified with a really nice form. Had a lot of questions ranging from my fuel type, what kind of area I live in, what my modifications are and tuning goals. I of course told them I have a catless dp, intake, turbo back, and rs7 plugs. My tune will be a 93 octane as well. He then asked for a few logs of my current tune, which I was on another companies ots tune. I got my base file from him and loaded it up, I'll update probably tomorrow with my first impressions. I want to give it a few miles to settle in. Btw I got the crackle tune added on, so there will be videos for sure!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Rafiki76

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII GTI
I have a question about the crackles component, do you need an aftermarket downpipe to run it?

Cameron1292

Ready to race!
Excited to see the results, my Fiesta ST was done by Stratified with awesome results and crackles lol.
Yea there gonna give me a virtual dyno at the end and i trust that, but you can't beat a legit dyno. I'm hoping to see apr/unitronic stage 2 numbers. Maybe better.

Cameron1292

Ready to race!
I have a question about the crackles component, do you need an aftermarket downpipe to run it?
Hmm off the top of my head I can't remember if they said you need one or not. I believe Apr says you need it for their crackle tune. I'll tell you thought I can see why. The stock dp is crazy restrictive so they might not be able to guarantee the crackles with the stock pipe. It will work for sure with a new dp. And catless is crazy loud with the crackles trust me lol

drrck

Go Kart Champion
If you can after you do your review post some logs, its often helpful to see how each tuner is targeting performance increases.

drrck

Go Kart Champion
Stratified has a good rep with the Ford ST crowd.
Agreed, it seems many Cobb tuners have struggled to get up to speed on how VAG tuning differs from Ford/Mazda/Subaru.

Boost_Junkie

Passed Driver's Ed

From experience, yes. I had the crackles option on the Fiesta ST with stock downpipe and it basically overheated my cat and made it fall apart within 6 months of using crackles.

PacDawg

Drag Race Newbie
From experience, yes. I had the crackles option on the Fiesta ST with stock downpipe and it basically overheated my cat and made it fall apart within 6 months of using crackles.

You don't want to run a crackle tune with a catted downpipe.

Rafiki76

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII GTI
I wanted to eventually switch to a catted downpipe (CA) but APR lets you run catted dp I believe, they demand it because it's stage 2 i thought. Can I run catted AWE/Nuespeed with crackles?

Cameron1292

Ready to race!
I wanted to eventually switch to a catted downpipe (CA) but APR lets you run catted dp I believe, they demand it because it's stage 2 i thought. Can I run catted AWE/Nuespeed with crackles?
I'd say if you must run catted for emissions and you want the crackle then get a really high flow low cell cat. Like stated above I can totally see it wrecking a cat.

Cameron1292

Ready to race!
Agreed, it seems many Cobb tuners have struggled to get up to speed on how VAG tuning differs from Ford/Mazda/Subaru.
Yea I noticed that. That's why I went with stratified I liked their articles on our mk7s they seem to have done their research. From what I've seen they have a shop mk7 which I really like. There not basing their research and development on customers

Cameron1292

Ready to race!
If you can after you do your review post some logs, its often helpful to see how each tuner is targeting performance increases.
Of course. I'll post each of the logs I send to them for my revisions if you guys want. That way you can see how they progressed the tune.

Last edited: