GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

3 row SUV for the family + towing

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I hope the wife likes this, cuz I’m sold (pending price)

https://www.ford.com/suvs/explorer/...d explorer&intcmp=hp-brandgallery-explorervhp

2020 Ford Explorer ST.

-larger than previous model

-400hp 3.0 Eco boost

-200lbs lighter than previous gen

-now longitudinally mounted engine/transmission for better weight distribution

-captains seats second row

-5k tow capacity (on the low side of my wish list, but for a sportier driving experience I’ll sacrifice a little utility

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thenewswheel.com/2020-ford-explorer-st-explorer-hybrid/amp/

Yep, this thing checks off all the boxes

Last edited:

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT

https://www.ford.com/suvs/explorer/...d explorer&intcmp=hp-brandgallery-explorervhp

2020 Ford Explorer ST.

-400hp 3.0 Eco boost

-5k tow capacity (on the low side of my wish list, but for a sportier driving experience I’ll sacrifice a little utility

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thenewswheel.com/2020-ford-explorer-st-explorer-hybrid/amp/

My wife previously had a Ford Explorer Sport with the 365hp 3.5. Nice car, but it was too big for her to maneuver around parking lots and stuff. That seems like a somewhat common problem though with larger SUVs.

We had a stage 1 Livernois tune and it was a total sleeper. More power than handling though lol.

takemorepills

Ready to race!

2020 Ford Explorer ST.

-400hp 3.0 Eco boost

OK, now, I don't usually say this, but Ford is KILLING it with the new Explorer/Lincoln thingy now. Jalopnik just did an article on looking good in a $51K Lincoln Navigator. Before I read the story I was like "pffft, yeah, whatever, Ford sucks" because, you know, Ford does literally suck, The fact that a mass-production SUV company would switch to a RWD based chassis when EVERYBODY is FWD based (as they were too) and make twin turbo STANDARD, HOLY FUCK....this SUV is gonna be in the low 5's 0-60 and being RWD based no more one-wheelie-peelie, even a 2WD version should be able to hook up damn well.
And the Lincoln interior is outstanding. https://jalopnik.com/you-can-look-good-in-a-2020-lincoln-aviator-for-51-100-1831981477

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Well I finally pulled the trigger, brought home a 2011 Suburban Z71 tonight for 20k OTD.

Has everything on my must have list plus some:

4x4

Black leather, heated first and second row, second row captains seats

DVD in the back (second row only, some hire trims have third row dvd as well)

Plenty of towing capacity (hitch and 7 pin harness appear to never been used tho)

Two owner, accident free, sold new locally and never seen salty roads so it’s VERY clean. Only flaw on the entire thing is some paint fade on the front center bumper piece which is removable so no big deal to paint or wrap that.

Overall I’m happy the search is over and I can stop shopping for the Family Truckster lol

takemorepills

Ready to race!
Dude, you went from looking at a 400hp TT Explorer to an old, outdated, underpowered Chevy? Yikes!

I'm sure you've got your reasons.... but at least you still own the GTI?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Dude, you went from looking at a 400hp TT Explorer to an old, outdated, underpowered Chevy? Yikes!

I'm sure you've got your reasons.... but at least you still own the GTI?

I went from saying the new $60,000 or more explorer looked cool to buying something that crushed my wish list from the OP.

Kinda harsh on the Suburban btw, 2011 has every driveline update they did through current and idk if you’ve heard but the 5.3 LOVES boost.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
5.3 with the six speed Allison transmission

I had the same powertrain in an '11 Silverado.

Given the mileage on the truck, you might want to consider ripping apart the motor and doing the AFM delete. When they do fail it can be completely catastrophic.

That's the only reliability issue the powertrain has, you have the tools and skills, so for a few hundred bucks you can bulletproof the engine for the next decade.

N2fastcars

Ready to race!
In 2010 my wife had a brand new rental Surburban, when a lady ran into her 4Runner, and I loved it, but she hated it!

I totally get the appeal and a 5.3 is great. Hopefully the previous owners kept up on all the maintenance.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Congrats on the new wheels.

Something like that or an Expedition EL/Max is probably in my future. 4 kids, it's either minivan which has been vetoed or those. Hoping we can make do with an Atlas when CX9 is due for replacement. To bad they axed the 2.0T though

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I had the same powertrain in an '11 Silverado.

Given the mileage on the truck, you might want to consider ripping apart the motor and doing the AFM delete. When they do fail it can be completely catastrophic.

That's the only reliability issue the powertrain has, you have the tools and skills, so for a few hundred bucks you can bulletproof the engine for the next decade.

I’m aware of the AFM/DOD crap being a major downfall, but I plan on just disabling it via tuning for now. To properly mechanically delete it you need rockers, cam, oil pump and a few other things IIRC. Really more than I care to get into right now.

So far I’ve upgraded the informant system to a 7” pioneer with CarPlay & added a backup camera, some led lighting, ordered an AEM intake and took my measurements for exhaust. Due to my current workload the exhaust is on standby, but once it’s done I’ll throw fresh plugs in and have it tuned aiming for mileage on 87 octane and of course deleting AFM/DOD

In 2010 my wife had a brand new rental Surburban, when a lady ran into her 4Runner, and I loved it, but she hated it!

I totally get the appeal and a 5.3 is great. Hopefully the previous owners kept up on all the maintenance.

I love it, highly doubt the gti will serve as family hauler ever again outside of quick trips to school or whatever lol. My wife would never say she’s in love with anything I bought (shes not the complimenting type), but she’s driving it without complaining so that’s basically the same.

It was very well maintained and it shows, just a few very minor cosmetic flaws, but I pick any vehicle apart and it was by far the best of any 07-14 Tahoe/Suburban we looked at.

Congrats on the new wheels.

Something like that or an Expedition EL/Max is probably in my future. 4 kids, it's either minivan which has been vetoed or those. Hoping we can make do with an Atlas when CX9 is due for replacement. To bad they axed the 2.0T though

I considered all of thee above and love the Burban. Expedition would have been a no brainer had they used the 5.0 rather than the 3.5 EB. Still was a good candidate but it came down to the wife didn’t like the styling