GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

3 row SUV for the family + towing

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Well that's still a better time frame than ordering anything from VW, lol

It's built downtown (in Detroit), right?

Sold your GTI privately already? That was quick!
Hopefully you got the price you were looking for too

In for pics of the new "D"

Yes its better than ordering from VW and the D is built right here in Jefferson North.

I sold the GTI last week. I was happy with the deal and the buyer was happy with the vehicle we got. It was a win - win for both of us.

I will share the pics as i take my delivery.

I’m not overly worried about warranty, CPO is just our likely route since it’s gotta be a 2018 to get the facelift and those will be a year old or less next April when I’m ready to buy

You will be able to find a great deal on it.

gti330ex

Go Kart Newbie
I'm with takemorepills suggestion on the new Armadas. 2017s are within your price range. Did a 500 mile road trip in one the other weekend and what beauty. Im falling in love hard for one. 87 oct, almost 400 hp/tq, 8500 tow cap, super quiet inside, thirsty but so is my GTI on the wallet when taking into account the 30%+ premiums at the pump over reg 87.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Well that's still a better time frame than ordering anything from VW, lol

It's built downtown (in Detroit), right?

Sold your GTI privately already? That was quick!
Hopefully you got the price you were looking for too

In for pics of the new "D"

Yes its better than ordering from VW and the D is built right here in Jefferson North.

I sold the GTI last week. I was happy with the deal and the buyer was happy with the vehicle we got. It was a win - win for both of us.

I will share the pics as i take my delivery.

A write up with some pictures in this thread. http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40897

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
A write up with some pictures in this thread. http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40897

Looks great! I typed out a comment on that thread and my phone went dumb so I didn’t bother re writing it lol

I drove around looking at wife-mobiles today and a new most likely winner has emerged.

Didn’t drive one, but per the wife’s constantly pointing them out I took a look at & sat on a GMC Acadia SLT-1.

It’s a little under the mark for towing, rated at 4K, but the interior space and overall look/feel was pretty impressive. 2+2+2 leather seats had the best leg room of any suv I’ve sat in. Being 6’2” I could very comfortably adjust the front seat then move to the second row behind it with tons of room to spare. That alone has me pretty much sold.

Then in chatting with the sales rep he mentioned supplier pricing, which my employer does get. Turns out it’s a pretty substantial discount plus current $5,500 rebates could be a BIG discount. Once we get home to SC I’m definitely gonna check out a local dealership and talk some numbers, but most likely still holding out for closer to her lease turn in

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Its good to know that you have found another vehicle which suits your needs. GM offers some great products and being the part of the automotive industry, i can say their requirements for the suppliers are one of the toughest in the market. Also looks like you are getting a great pricing as well and thats an icing on the cake.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Haven’t pulled the trigger yet, but have a deal in the works to go the no payment route and move into a Tahoe LT Z71. The Kia Sorento my wife leased is down for a transfer case leak so while we were there I drove this. We’ve looked at several in both the 07-14 and the 15-current body style but this one is priced fair (rare in the south), in good condition, and meets every requirement on our wish list. I’m gonna sleep on it and see what they say about both the Tahoe and Sorento tomorrow

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
^^
That looks short...that doesn't have a 3rd row, does it?

It does, captains seats in the second row and 50/50 bench in the 3rd which is exactly what we want.

Lately the debate has been Tahoe vs suburban. Seating wise they’re identical, but the cargo area with the 3rd row is the difference. Tahoe basically none, and the burb 4’ Or more.

That aspect doesn’t matter too much since the third row will only be used when we have in-laws flying in. For trips with lots of luggage it’ll just be the wide and kids (both in car seats still)

I’m 6’2” so I climb back to the second and third rows of everything we look at. My father in-law is the only other person in our family close to my size so I make the call based on if I fit. The rest of our family falls in the 5’4-5’9 range so if I can be comfortable they’ll have plenty of room.

From the outside the Suburbans definitely look bigger, but from the drivers point of view there’s hardly any difference

2015 LTZ I drove a month ago for reference

Last edited:

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
From personal experience, get the one with the most cargo room.
You can always add a roof box, but we always end up somewhere with a couple unexpected passengers and we have to put the rear seats up and then there's no room for the cargo we had with the rear seats down plus the extra.

takemorepills

Ready to race!
WTH is up with GM and their square wheel arches? That has bugged me, since, forever.

My co-worker just bought a 2015 Escalade. What a nice SUV. If I was a GM guy, I'd buy the Escalade. Better motor, better headlights, far better looking.

Though, honestly, a Gen 2 Armada is a better SUV all around than the GMs. But, the Escalade ain't bad.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
^^
He's right you know

Any pics of this Tahoe's 3rd row or the cargo area? There really can't be much room (left) in there

I didn’t take any, it’s less room than the gti with the third row up. I think the suburban would be the way to go.

Aesthetically the Durango RT is still my favorite, but even the Tahoe has it beat by a lot on interior space.

If we’re gonna go big might as well go BIG and never hurt for space. Kids tend to mean bringing tons of stuff lol.

ogrisker

Ready to race!
Having a slow night at work and kicking around my next SUV purchase. My wife (unfortunately) has a 2016 Kia Sorento LX AWD lease at the moment, until April 2019. I won't go into how we ended up with that mess, but believe me I had nothing to do with that decision lol

So with a little over a year before I finally get to get rid of that pos, I'm impatiently already looking for its replacement. Things have changed recently with me selling my dodge Cummins due to it being extended cab, not a full four door so the next SUV will need to meet a few more requirements than grocery getting. Here's our "must haves" list:

Tow capacity 5k or more

4x4

$30-40,000 price range (CPO or newer used is ok)

3rd row w/captains chairs in the second row would be ideal, but not required.

Also, rear legroom is pretty important too since I'm 6' 2" and will have a car seat behind me (we have on forward facing and one rear)

Opening the floor here for suggestions and input. No, the gti isn't going anywhere. This will be the wife's car/our family car. She's a stay at home mom so I really don't care too much about gas mileage.

She's 100% against a four door truck, which I would prefer. She said "if you want a truck trade in your gti" and that my friends isn't an option lol

So far my interest is level is this.

1: Dodge Durango R/T 5.7 hemi

2: Dodge Durango 3.6 v6

3: Jeep Grand Cherokee (no 3rd row tho)

4: Ford Expedition 3.5 EB

5: Chevy Tahoe 5.3 v8

Toyota!

Attachments

• 20180603_114524-02.jpeg
    20180603_114524-02.jpeg
    107.1 KB · Views: 309

N2fastcars

Ready to race!
In November my wife traded her Pilot in on a smaller, 2018 Tiguan. Even though the Pilot was roomier and had an actual towing capacity, the Tiguan works better for us 95% of the time. It is a much lower monthly payment and it’s not as bland as the Pilot was. We decided that if we went on a long vacation, we could just rent a Suburban for the money we saved in monthly payments alone.

I did look at a 392 Durango last weekend that was awesome, and I am not a big Dodge fan!