GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

3 row SUV for the family + towing

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Toyota Sequoia, perhaps? I'm not sure if they're in the price range new, but I'll bet you could find a decent CPO for that much. Personally, I'd be a bit hesitant to try pulling anything more than a small boat with a FWD-based CUV.

N2fastcars

Ready to race!
Thanks! She's mentioned the Honda Pilot, but I honestly haven't looked into it yet. If anyone has pics inside or out of their family car please share. I'm 27 and never really thought much about big ol suvs before haha. I do know it'll be nice to not hear her complaining about my gti + roof box on vacations anymore, or me complaining about how terrible her Kia is. It doesn't even have lumbar support adjustment and downshifts 3-4 gears to maintain 73mph on cruise control :(

No problem. The Pilot is a little bland but it works well for us. It inspires me to drive the speed limit and be a responsible adult! Lol The third row in the Pilot will actually seat three. Not comfortable for adults but three kids out of car seats yes. One thing impressed me with the Pilot was the gas mileage. We got 26-27 on our trip to Florida and it’s AWD. And we usually get about 20 combined with mostly city driving.

MadMen

Ready to race!
AWD Toyota Sienna. Just get it over with. You'll gladly give up your Man card when you realize how convenient they are with multiple little ones.... :)

Forget about towing anything. You won't have any time for that!

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
No problem. The Pilot is a little bland but it works well for us. It inspires me to drive the speed limit and be a responsible adult! Lol The third row in the Pilot will actually seat three. Not comfortable for adults but three kids out of car seats yes. One thing impressed me with the Pilot was the gas mileage. We got 26-27 on our trip to Florida and it’s AWD. And we usually get about 20 combined with mostly city driving.

That is pretty solid mileage, about the same as her current Kia but it's never been out of "eco" mode lol. It inspires me to drive the speed limit too, it's not going anywhere in a hurry anyway

Toyota Sequoia, perhaps? I'm not sure if they're in the price range new, but I'll bet you could find a decent CPO for that much. Personally, I'd be a bit hesitant to try pulling anything more than a small boat with a FWD-based CUV.

Yeah my list in the OP doesn't include anything not offered base in RWD. Even if some of the Fwd based models are rated for towing 5k I highly doubt they'll be very reliable doing so.

AWD Toyota Sienna. Just get it over with. You'll gladly give up your Man card when you realize how convenient they are with multiple little ones.... :)

Forget about towing anything. You won't have any time for that!

No mini van, ever. I drove my sister in laws Town and Country once and wanted to wear a paper bag over my head. Looking back at our full car load of people I was far from impressed with everyone being so crowded. My 115# 5' 4" wife and her about equally small mom made the third row seat look like a clown car

The CX9 looks super sharp, but I've heard it's a little cramped in room?

I just did a quick search and its max towing is 3500#

I'm really surprised nobody here has anything off my original list. I saw a Durango up close in traffic yesterday on my way to work and if I bought something tomorrow that would be it. Hemi or not I think it fits our needs best as an all a rounder. Still haven't driven any of these tho so I'm not counting anything out yet

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
10th Generation Suburban or Tahoe. I'd avoid 2015's and newer, plus you'll get more for your money.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
The maintenance costs on one of those will make you want to gargle with Drano.

Not really. Sister has one with 80k miles. Just regular oil changes. No issues

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Not really. Sister has one with 80k miles. Just regular oil changes. No issues

My brother used to work in M-B service, he'll tell you stories about the ML-series.

Even if nothing does go wrong, the first time you have to spend 3x the normal price for a brake job or some other routine service, you'll understand the joys of owning a Merc.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
My brother used to work in M-B service, he'll tell you stories about the ML-series.

Even if nothing does go wrong, the first time you have to spend 3x the normal price for a brake job or some other routine service, you'll understand the joys of owning a Merc.

This is true and have also seen with range rover. Seems like every dealer visit is $2k

tknj99

Ready to race!
Touareg V10! Or ifs that’s too old of a model go for the newer version with the V6, still plenty of towing capacity and off-road prowess and it’s a VW :)

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Just another option for you.

MB GL450 or 350 if you want a diesel.
They are rated at 7500 lbs towing and you can get a 3-4 yo one for and $35k.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/716250367/overview/?aff=share_text

One of my coworkers has the diesel, I've driven it a few times. It's quiet and comfy.

The maintenance costs on one of those will make you want to gargle with Drano.

Diesels are now getting stupid expensive to maintain. They're so corked up with emissions equipment the MPGs and reliability are plummeting.

It's getting to the point where if you want a 3/4 or 1 Ton truck, you very well may come out ahead by getting a gasser with 8 MPG.

Some companies are starting to switch from diesel to gasoline for fleet trucks, putting their fuel economy in the toilet but dramatically reducing other operating costs.