GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Heat shield vibration.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
I have read about heat shield issues but not sure if any good thread to attach this to so started a new one.

I have noticed a vibration that occurs when down shifting between 3rd and 2nd coming to a stop or slowing down. (DSG). It sounds like a heat shield. Not super loud but can hear when radio down. While car was on lift today I checked the underside and nothing was free and moving. However I have a CSS muffler and above the suit case muffler is a flat heat shield. All is secure but if I thump it on the edge the vibration sounds familiar. Not sure options. Anything added here must withstand heat. A thicker shield might help but thin I am sure dissipates heat better. Anyone know of heat shield options? Any sound or vibration isolators? The louder CSS muffler is likely causing the low vibration.

Thanks.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I removed mine during the downtime waiting on material to build my cat back after my dp install. It was a metallic buzz at 2000-3200 rpm and was infact solved by ditching the shield.

Since I don't have a muffler back there to hold heat it's not an issue. With your CSS maybe feel the shield after a aggressive drive and make the call if it's really necessary or not

Edit: I've never seen it done but you could always remove the shield and install reflective heat tape to the bottom of the car

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
I removed mine during the downtime waiting on material to build my cat back after my dp install. It was a metallic buzz at 2000-3200 rpm and was infact solved by ditching the shield.

Since I don't have a muffler back there to hold heat it's not an issue. With your CSS maybe feel the shield after a aggressive drive and make the call if it's really necessary or not

Edit: I've never seen it done but you could always remove the shield and install reflective heat tape to the bottom of the car

Thanks for feedback.
Agree.
A thicker more rigid piece would help.
We will see.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I just hate the clips they use to hold it on. Idk how well something heavier would stay up if they were reused or if they're a contributor to the vibration

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
That heatshield back there is definitely a source of vibration. I would say it is probably needed on cars with the suitcase muffler back there.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
That heatshield back there is definitely a source of vibration. I would say it is probably needed on cars with the suitcase muffler back there.

Agree.
It is a fairly flat part. Sort of like an airplane wing that can flex easily.
If the edges where bent or when formed had they left more of a folded lip it might make piece rigid and not as easy to vibrate.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie

Agree.
It is a fairly flat part. Sort of like an airplane wing that can flex easily.
If the edges where bent or when formed had they left more of a folded lip it might make piece rigid and not as easy to vibrate.

Was wondering if the across the pond GTI's used any other versions as they tend to be beefier in some ways. Also might have more sound reduction.

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
I just hate the clips they use to hold it on. Idk how well something heavier would stay up if they were reused or if they're a contributor to the vibration

my clips seem to have 3 black plastic clips over the round metal screw washers. I couldn’t undo my screws even with a screwdriver. I was going to put noico deadener above it and reinstall.

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
ya direct from a Noico deadenign page..

Noico 80 mil material has a working temperature mode from -49 degrees F to 400 degrees F where 400 degress is only a short term heating. We recommend you to look for specific hood solution material that can cope with a high heat. Another approach could be installing Noico 80 mil on the hood's metal and also intall hood solution material on top of Noico 80 mil thus protecting the Noico 80 mil from your engine heat.

Mufflers on the turbo cars can get 300-350F easily, so this would eventually wreck that sound deadener. That's also why my tip paint would melt off after a while. (Even "1500F" paint....)

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
I’ve found in the past that if one of the underbody heat shields is making a noise or vibrating then tightening the slightly strange fixing nuts they have by turning them by hand as you would with a wing nut is all that is needed, along with slightly bending the shield in certain places if needed I’ve always been able to stop any sound, sometimes the noise is simply caused by the shield having been knocked by a rock or road debris that has then made it touch the body where it usually would not.

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
I'm glad i didnt take down my stock heatsheild and wreck all those clips, since the deadening wouldn't have last anyway.

I bend the stock sheilds all the time when needed also. Especially for a downpipe job, to get an extra 1/4" across the entire tunnel at that tricky differential area..

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
I removed that piece on this car and my last one when I went to an aftermarket catback (mostly for weight).

However on this car it seems to have made it actually louder lol. 3.5" Catless DP with 3" full awe track here. It is quite loud at 2000 rpm but perfectly fine at highway speeds. I also have no interior past the driver seat so that doesn't help the noise either.

The best way to remove the clips is.. take a pair of needle nose pliers and just hold tight and unscrew like a screw to the left while pulling down. The clips will work down the threads. They look like a one time use set up however.

I may put some sound dampening material back there and see if that helps.