GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How many miles can we reasonably expect out of our cars?

dynastyss

Ready to race!
I am curious if we can extrapolate anything from GTI owners or high mileage mk7 Golf R owners. I would love to get 150,000 miles out of this car without major maintenance (maybe new clutch?) but I don't know if that is reasonable for a turbo VW?

Currently sitting at 32,000 since 04/16 but that should slow down a few years from now.

chiefhiawatha

Ready to race!
I am curious if we can extrapolate anything from GTI owners or high mileage mk7 Golf R owners. I would love to get 150,000 miles out of this car without major maintenance (maybe new clutch?) but I don't know if that is reasonable for a turbo VW?

Currently sitting at 32,000 since 04/16 but that should slow down a few years from now.

My 2010 tdi wagon manual was driving fine at 150k but had lost its mind otherwise. Doors didn’t lock, radio was dead, air conditioning dead, and with vinyl seats that sucked! It’ll annoy you to replace it vs failing to execute a drive down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

SweetJones_29

Ready to race!
105k on my 2010 mk6. Low oil pressure light came on. Metal shavings in oil pan. Quoted 9k for an engine rebuild. Now I have a mk7.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
As with most newer cars, I would worry about age more than mileage. Mechanical systems are easy to maintain and fail in predictable ways for mostly predictable reasons. Digital electronics, less so. 8 to 10 years on, I would be surprised if all the electronics still worked, regardless of mileage. Think of it this way, what's the oldest functioning computer you still want to use?

dah90

Ready to race!
As with most newer cars, I would worry about age more than mileage. Mechanical systems are easy to maintain and fail in predictable ways for mostly predictable reasons. Digital electronics, less so. 8 to 10 years on, I would be surprised if all the electronics still worked, regardless of mileage. Think of it this way, what's the oldest functioning computer you still want to use?

+1!

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
Yeah, what oddspyke said. Most cars today can mechanically roll on for nearly forever, in car lifespan terms. The question is, do you want to be driving it at that point? Even since I purchased my 2016 R, the improvements/additions in safety electronics, the digital dash, stuff like that just in this model alone have been fairly significant, and if you look at other models, particularly more upscale models, each model year seems to bring some new thing that often is actually rather desirable. And that's not even counting the issues of stuff like firmware updates, software updates, system interactions, etc.

As cars become progressively more like aircraft--a bundle of integrated mechanical, electronic, and processor-based systems--how we view the age of a car is going to shift. I suspect that eventually we'll be seeing the car as a platform, like say an F-16, where you can do product improvement programs over the years to plug in new parts. Well, that would be the engineering solution; from a commodity/marketing POV, that probably won't happen because manufacturers want to sell you new stuff all the time.

hakwuzhere

Passed Driver's Ed
Yeah, what oddspyke said. Most cars today can mechanically roll on for nearly forever, in car lifespan terms. The question is, do you want to be driving it at that point? Even since I purchased my 2016 R, the improvements/additions in safety electronics, the digital dash, stuff like that just in this model alone have been fairly significant, and if you look at other models, particularly more upscale models, each model year seems to bring some new thing that often is actually rather desirable. And that's not even counting the issues of stuff like firmware updates, software updates, system interactions, etc.

As cars become progressively more like aircraft--a bundle of integrated mechanical, electronic, and processor-based systems--how we view the age of a car is going to shift. I suspect that eventually we'll be seeing the car as a platform, like say an F-16, where you can do product improvement programs over the years to plug in new parts. Well, that would be the engineering solution; from a commodity/marketing POV, that probably won't happen because manufacturers want to sell you new stuff all the time.

Isnt that what MQB is?

The Fed

Old Guys Rule

Which safety electronics?

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
Yeah, the explosion of various sensors and associated processors that make up lane-changing, collision avoidance, pre-crash sensing, etc.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
My next car for sure will have collision avoidance. I’ll bet he means stuff like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The 2018's won't really have anything a 2016 doesn't. The only thing I can think of is pedestrian monitoring, and I'm not sure it's much of an improvement over the current front radar.

tax guy

Passed Driver's Ed
Which safety electronics?

Backup camera and parking sensors front and rear, active cruise control, blind spot warning, and automatic braking are among the latest safety equipment on mine. This stuff becomes obsolete and gets improved upon in the next model, which is one of the reasons why I am leasing this one. I am a senior driver and having all of the latest safety assists has become a higher priority to me than it was when I was younger.