GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Horrible Luck with my car

mfarmy1327

I always follow the forums but figured I would join and post what has happened to my car. So to start things off, my 09 gti timing chain ripped my engine apart so I bought a 15 GTI SE. After 5000 miles I put an intake and dv+ on, after 10,000 miles tuned with ED 1.5 93oct then bumped up to stage 2 HT 93oct and DSG transmission tune when I threw in my catted CTS downpipe. At 42,000 miles now and been tuned for roughly 30,000 of those. Threw on a leyo turbo inlet and a P3 gauge. Average boost on pulls was around 22.5psi. There’s the background.

Over the last month My oil level light has flipped so I’ve been just slowly replacing oil, then 2 days ago car went into EPC and check engine light popped on and straight limp mode while just cruising around. Had the car towed to the dealer and they checked my engine and saw that cylinder 2 was flooded with oil. All cylinders were exhibiting “pre-detonation.” Since I am tuned they blamed the tune mapping being off and the engine needs to be replaced and the warranty of course is voided. They said oil leaking would be due to gaskets and seals but the fact my engine timing was off is the problem with the tune. Have to replace the engine now and take off all parts in order for the engine to be under warranty. Thankfully they found a used one cause I was not about to dish out $14,000 for an engine.

So there’s my story, give any feedback if you want, but when they say a tune can blow your engine and you say oh that won’t happen to me....well it did happen to me haha

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
It's always a risk and just sucks when you hear this. Now what doesn't make sense to me is the cylinder being flooded with oil and them blaming a head gasket. Typically this is caused by rings. I just think their explanation is a little weak is all. Usually with something like this, the oil would dilute the fuel causing knock and pre-detonation.. and when that happens it usually is much worse (pistons, rods etc cracking).

Can they not just ship the motor to a machine shop? Sorry for the headache

mfarmy1327

Oh yah if defiantly sucks, I just sat there going oh this would happen to me. Yeah my thought was how did the oil get into my cylinders in the first place. I figured that would be faulty engine parts, but of course they just kept relaying and blaming it on being tuned, even though when I bought the car over 2 years ago, the salesman said look into tuning. Yeah I thought about it, but the car and motor are just sitting At the dealer.

What sucks is now thinking how boring the car will drive

codered911

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK8
So if I read that correctly when you get a newer/used engine they will offer a warranty if you return back to stock all around (tune, hardware ect)?

mfarmy1327

So if I read that correctly when you get a newer/used engine they will offer a warranty if you return back to stock all around (tune, hardware ect)?

Yep that’s what they told me, I’ll have a 12 month warranty as long as my car is completely bone stock, only thing staying on would be my boost gauge and springs since neither will effect engine

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Yep that’s what they told me, I’ll have a 12 month warranty as long as my car is completely bone stock, only thing staying on would be my boost gauge and springs since neither will effect engine

I know it's not a very bright side, but at the very least you only have to wait 12 months to tune again. Pick up a used JB4 if you miss the boost and want to hold on to that 12mo warranty. Sorry this happened man.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
If all cylinders showed signs of detonation, it's either a result of a global issue (like a fuel pump underperforming and creating a lean condition) or the tune was simply too aggressive.

Detonation could have oiled the cylinder, if the head gasket or piston got hurt.

Sorry to hear about the bad luck...seems a lot of people have been losing motors lately.

airjor13

Ready to race!
that really sucks, please consider an intercooler with your new engine.

mfarmy1327

that really sucks, please consider an intercooler with your new engine.

Well honestly the plan right now is to replace the engine, drive it stock for a few months and then go from there. But at least the engine will be under warranty so if it does flop, they will replace it

mfarmy1327

Well gents after 18 days I finally got the car back. First replacement used engine wouldn't turn over and kept locking up. So they had to order a second and they were not able to flash my car back to stock, so this morning i had to go in and flash it back myself. Car is fully stock now......ohhhh and what a blast it is to drive hahaha, but thankful I have my car back and it was just a blown engine and money instead of a wreck and injuries.

Crud_muffin

Ready to race!
Car(s)
e-Golf
Glad you've got the car back. So your local dealer sourced a used engine..that's really good to hear. How much did you end up saving?

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
What did it cost you all in if you don't mind sharing?

Seems that the only model years with reported engine problems are 2015s. Probably just bad luck. Sorry to hear man.