Golf production coming to an end at Mexico

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
posted earlier today in the Thread "Production after 2019"

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
They are citing quality problems. Interesting. Wonder what kind of data there is too support this

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
TBH I would prefer a German made Golf to Mexican made. Maybe the quality is the same but it's like buying a brand name or label. Feels lame to pay the premium for a "German car" that is made in Mexico. "My car is made in Mexico" is not something I could brag about.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
TBH I would prefer a German made Golf to Mexican made. Maybe the quality is the same but it's like buying a brand name or label. Feels lame to pay the premium for a "German car" that is made in Mexico. "My car is made in Mexico" is not something I could brag about.

I feel the same way. Watch where your tires are made :)

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold

I disagree. German car made in Mexico might not be better than German cars made in Germany if they have right quality controls.

Why do you think Apple says this in all their phone: Designed in California, Made in China.

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
I disagree. German car made in Mexico might not be better than German cars made in Germany if they have right quality controls.

Why do you think Apple says this in all their phone: Designed in California, Made in China.

What does that have to do with brand name and reputation? Germany has the reputation, Mexico has zero.

Because it’s cheap to make. iPhones are made for a couple hundred bucks if that... not really a good comparison

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
What does that have to do with brand name and reputation? Germany has the reputation, Mexico has zero.

Because it’s cheap to make. iPhones are made for a couple hundred bucks if that... not really a good comparison

I chose Apple as an example to show how company plays mind games with consumers. There will be a dip in their sales if Apple did not have "Designed in California" tagline on all their phones.

My point is this: Golfs made in Mexico is not inferior than Golfs made else where.

In that case as an example, BMW wont build cars on all the below mentioned locations:
Spartanburg, United States
Berlin, Germany
Dingolfing, Germany
Cairo, Egypt
Cassinetta, Italy
Chennai, India
Eisenach, Germany
Goodwood, Great Britain
Graz, Austria
Hams Hall, Great Britain
Jakarta, Indonesia
Kaliningrad, Russia
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Landshut, Germany
Leipzig, Germany
Manaus, Brasilia
Munich, Germany
Oxford, Great Britain
Rayong, Thailand
Regensburg, Germany
Rosslyn, South Africa
Shenyang, China (Dadong)
Shenyang, China (Tiexi)
Swindon, Great Britain
Steyr, Austria
Wackersdorf, Germany
San Luis Potosí, Mexico

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
I chose Apple as an example to show how company plays mind games with consumers. There will be a dip in their sales if Apple did not have "Designed in California" tagline on all their phones.

My point is this: Golfs made in Mexico is not inferior than Golfs made else where.

In that case as an example, BMW wont build cars on all the below mentioned locations:
Spartanburg, United States
Berlin, Germany
Dingolfing, Germany
Cairo, Egypt
Cassinetta, Italy
Chennai, India
Eisenach, Germany
Goodwood, Great Britain
Graz, Austria
Hams Hall, Great Britain
Jakarta, Indonesia
Kaliningrad, Russia
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Landshut, Germany
Leipzig, Germany
Manaus, Brasilia
Munich, Germany
Oxford, Great Britain
Rayong, Thailand
Regensburg, Germany
Rosslyn, South Africa
Shenyang, China (Dadong)
Shenyang, China (Tiexi)
Swindon, Great Britain
Steyr, Austria
Wackersdorf, Germany
San Luis Potosí, Mexico

I never said the quality itself is worse, just the brand name appeal. When people think of a German made car, they think high end, well engineered, powerful, Porsche, BMW, etc. When they think of a car made in Mexico, what do you think of...? I don't even know of a Mexican car make without googling it.

It's like the Lexus LFA, very fast and well made car but nobody cares about it, it's not a Ferrari.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
I never said the quality itself is worse, just the brand name appeal. When people think of a German made car, they think high end, well engineered, powerful, Porsche, BMW, etc. When they think of a car made in Mexico, what do you think of...? I don't even know of a Mexican car make without googling it.

It's like the Lexus LFA, very fast and well made car but nobody cares about it, it's not a Ferrari.

A German car is a German car irrespective of manufacturing location.

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
A German car is a German car irrespective of manufacturing location.

Semantics but okay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trancebolt

Ready to race!
My year is in fact just 40% mexican parts; so 17% german, and the rest are misc; Thats not exactly a mexican car.... nor is it a german car... Hell, my benz was only 60~ % german... And essentially nothing the germans make have a reputation for long lasting quality.... I love my mexi-golf! I would be sad if it was german.... german DESIGN and engineering is great, but german electronics and labor is not necessarily any better than anywhere else. In fact in china they probably whip you to death if you mess up a stitch on a mazda wheel =D ...lol

shit my 2015 c300 had its pistons and rods rebuilt, engine seals replaced and teh entire gas tank replaced to fix a fuel pump issue all under 10k miles. in 2 years. German made BABY!