GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Heads Up to All!

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
I just returned from a warranty visit (master window switch) from my dealership who I have very good relations with.

VW can now scan and detect tuned ECUs that have been reverted to stock similar to Audi.

Once a car is scanned, the scan gets sent to Germany and the dealer receives the results a few days later. The dealer can now also see TD1s because of that.

Remember, this only counts when a warranty claim is made and a deep dive is required. If you tune and nothing breaks, then Bob’s your Uncle.

May be old news, but fair warning to all.

Last edited:

dlau9

Go Kart Champion
I just returned from a warranty visit (master window switch) from my dealership who I have very good relations with.

VW can now scan and detect tuned ECUs that have been reverted to stock similar to Audi.

Once a car is scanned, the scan gets sent to Germany and the dealer receives the results a few days later. The dealer can now also see TD1s because of that.

Fair warning to all.

I’m keeping my R stock for the time being.

Funny cause i had warranty work done and my COBB reverted back to Stock and no TD1.

You must be new around these parts lol.

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Funny cause i had warranty work done and my COBB reverted back to Stock and no TD1.

You must be new around these parts lol.

Look at my post count lol.

That will only become apparent when you need warranty work done on any drivetrain-related issue. In my case now, say I had a driveshaft issue. They’ll need to plug me in for warranty. If I was tuned, I’d get flagged even if reverted to stock. In my old ED Stage 2 GTI, I was fortunate not to have any engine issues.

Good luck.

Zx2man

Ready to race!
But did the dealer actually scan the ecu? ^^^
Is scanning the ecu absolutely needs to do any warranty work or routine maintenance?

My though process when I ever modded my cars for performance was Well its on me now. If i can be cool with a dealer and they dont report my tune and or cool with it, then awesome.
But at end of the day you should realize when your modding your car that you may just be fucked on warranty. If that absolutely scares such person and they do not want to risk it, then leave your car stock till warranty is up. Pretty simple. But thats me.

dlau9

Go Kart Champion
Look at my post count lol.

That will only become apparent when you need warranty work done on any drivetrain-related issue. Good luck.

Cam-shaft actuator fault CEL Scan (part of the engine). Passed ODIS scan. Warranty claim was made, everything fixed under warranty.

Cobb unmarried prior to bringing into dealer. Soo..... lol?

Post count makes you OG eh?

drrck

Go Kart Champion
I would agree, this is a known issue, but it requires the dealer to purposely initiate this level of scan.

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Cam-shaft actuator fault CEL Scan (part of the engine). Passed ODIS scan.

Post count makes you OG eh?

Not OG, but I’ve seen and read many posts about Mk7’s. I started the Eurodyne Updates thread after the original one went to shits.

I’m simply relaying info I learnt today. Hence I said “fair warning to all”

I’m not dissuading anyone from tuning. I had a Stage 2 Mk7 GTI 2 months ago unit I got the R. I really want a Uni tune and have spoken to John about it at length. But I’m not in a position to “pay to play” right now.

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
had mine to the dealer plenty of times for warranty and what not...never flashed my ecu once yet...why they touched your ecu is beyond me

OMG, can't people comprehend?

I had my window switch replaced. I simply asked my SAs if VW has the same detection system as Audi and they now do. That’s all I did. Just letting you all know.

Obsrvr

Ready to race!
Always appreciate Heads Ups, so thanks Carlos. Just not sure if this is new info- we already knew an ecu tune would cause a TD1 even if the owner reverts back to stock. Unless your info means VW can do it quicker now etc.

BTW, regarding Cobb, have they cracked the TD1 thing? ie does a Cobb tune leave no TD1s? How did I miss that?! 'Cuz that would be HUGE !! Guess whut I'd do if that were true...;)

drrck

Go Kart Champion
I think most people were already aware of this, hence the reaction of many that have posted thus far. It blew up big last year when someone blew an engine and got TD1. I want to say George @ BMS posted some tech bulletin from a few years back stating the same thing about ECU deep dive.

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Always appreciate Heads Ups, so thanks Carlos. Just not sure if this is new info- we already knew an ecu tune would cause a TD1 even if the owner reverts back to stock. Unless your info means VW can do it quicker now etc.

BTW, regarding Cobb, have they cracked the TD1 thing? ie does a Cobb tune leave no TD1s? How did I miss that?! 'Cuz that would be HUGE !! Guess whut I'd do if that were true...;)

Welcome.

I haven’t been active in here for almost a year, so you’re right I may be late to the party :(

But when I had my GTI 7, my dealer didn’t scan me so I was fortunate.

drrck

Go Kart Champion

Cobb won't be able to do anything about it, the protection is within the ECU itself, so regardless of vendor they (VW) will be able to detect ECU reprogramming.

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
I'm thinking that whatever happened with the Cobb tune is VW just didn't suspect anything and didn't dig deeper in whatever way they need to