GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Leaking door seals ??!!!

Marv_gti_mk7_pp

Passed Driver's Ed
Does this happen to anyone else in harsh rain - got it booked in at dealer to take a look

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

silver381

Yes, I recently discovered this problem. If you see water after rain anywhere inboard off the outer door seal you will eventually get very wet carpets. Just had my carpets, mats and sound absorbing material replaced. Problem is the door seal is incapable of leaking off all the rainwater that gets into the door via the window seal. The water level builds up in the door, comes through the speaker and leaks out the door card at the bottom onto and below the lip of the inner door seal and soaks the carpet.

lucyfek

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI & GSW
Yes, I recently discovered this problem. If you see water after rain anywhere inboard off the outer door seal you will eventually get very wet carpets. Just had my carpets, mats and sound absorbing material replaced. Problem is the door seal is incapable of leaking off all the rainwater that gets into the door via the window seal. The water level builds up in the door, comes through the speaker and leaks out the door card at the bottom onto and below the lip of the inner door seal and soaks the carpet.
This would indicate an issue with drain holes in the door (more so than with seals). Is your area particularly dusty? Leaves getting in? BTW, it had to rain like crazy to fill up the door so high.
I'd neglected drain holes on my old car and - after 10+ years - this resulted in corrosion on one side, but no leaks inside. Maintenance is easy - find the drain hole, unclog it, you may pour some water for good measure - it should freely drain out (over the rocker panel with the door closed). I can't really imagine this happening so early into the life of the vehicle, though the VW seal design seems worse than Ford's - it seems to invite water/dirt in instead of letting in only a fraction of what could not drain over the seal and exterior of the door.

silver381

The drain holes in the door are covered by the outer door seal which is hollow like a tube open at one end, the water drains through this. I don't often open my rear doors which means the seal is compressed and closed and the water remains in the door until opened. Rains a lot in Northern Ireland.

Marv_gti_mk7_pp

Passed Driver's Ed
The drain holes in the door are covered by the outer door seal which is hollow like a tube open at one end, the water drains through this. I don't often open my rear doors which means the seal is compressed and closed and the water remains in the door until opened. Rains a lot in Northern Ireland.

I'll have a look for the drain holes but isn't this causing you a massive issue aswell ??

I don't often open my rear doors either but the last thing I want is water passing through !

I've read it could be a damaged speaker gasket ? Which would allow water through in the exact same place which seems to make sense .

Hope dealer picks this up on Friday !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

silver381

The door fills up to the speaker and the water leaks through the speaker seal. I've had the speaker replaced on the near side rear door along with carpets, sound absorbing material and mats. The water ingress is still there only this time the offside rear door. Lift the lip on the inner seal for both doors looking for signs of dampness and water. In my experience you will need both doors checked or you'll have the same problem again.

riambink

Passed Driver's Ed
May be related but I had mine taken in due to rattles near the b-pillar and the dealer just moved in the door locks ever so slightly and "relubricated the door jams." Apparently the doors weren't closing flush with the rest of the body. Might be a similar issue?

Marv_gti_mk7_pp

Passed Driver's Ed

Just tried to find the drain holes and cannot see anything .

Do you have to pull the seal away to see them ??

Surely the seal shouldn't be covering it anyways !

If anyone's got a picture of what they look like it would be much appreciated !

silver381

The drain hole/holes drain into the seal, that's the way it's designed. The water drains out of the seal at the leading edge of the door.

Marv_gti_mk7_pp

Passed Driver's Ed
The drain hole/holes drain into the seal, that's the way it's designed. The water drains out of the seal at the leading edge of the door.

Apologies ! I re-read your last post and understood straight away !

Will try and see if that tube is stuck together at all first

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
Most likely clogged drains as mentioned. I had this issue before, dealer cleared out the drain holes and haven't had an issue since. I also had a musty smell in the car when the leak was happening, but after it was corrected the smell is gone.

Marv_gti_mk7_pp

Passed Driver's Ed
So the car went in to the dealer today ! They confirmed the speaker gasket had corroded hence the water ingress , the full speaker was replaced under warranty !

Let's hope this doesn't happen again - pretty sure it happens when the back doors do not get enough use .

The drainage tube sticks together causing a blockage and build of water .

Many thanks for the advice everyone !

Marv_gti_mk7_pp

Passed Driver's Ed
Afraid my door is still leaking !!!

Although I don’t believe it’s coming through the speaker grill as there’s no evidence of water .

Looks like it’s coming from underneath the door , can anyone tell me if the seal should look like this ???

Presuming not !

Many thanks in advance if anyone knows something I can try !!!

- this problem is doing my nut in !!

!

Mikeyd1

Ready to race!
Afraid my door is still leaking !!!

Although I don’t believe it’s coming through the speaker grill as there’s no evidence of water .

Looks like it’s coming from underneath the door , can anyone tell me if the seal should look like this ???

Presuming not !

Many thanks in advance if anyone knows something I can try !!!

- this problem is doing my nut in !!

!

Should not look like that. Did u remove the door seals to check

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
Looks like rust underneath. You didn't state if the dealer cleared out the drain holes in the door. If they did not, that is most likely your problem.