GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Steering

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
From VW: With progressive steering, there are 2.1 turns of the wheel (380 degrees) from lock to lock, compared with 2.75 turns (500 deg) for less powerful Golf models. The new steering operates with a progressive gear ratio, perceptibly reducing steering effort in maneuvering and parking. On country roads with lots of bends, the experience is enhanced because the steering is more direct.

Isn't 2.1 turns 758 degrees? 360+360+38?

And 2.75 turns 990 degrees? 360+360+270?

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
From VW: With progressive steering, there are 2.1 turns of the wheel (380 degrees) from lock to lock, compared with 2.75 turns (500 deg) for less powerful Golf models. The new steering operates with a progressive gear ratio, perceptibly reducing steering effort in maneuvering and parking. On country roads with lots of bends, the experience is enhanced because the steering is more direct.

Isn't 2.1 turns 758 degrees? 360+360+38?

And 2.75 turns 990 degrees? 360+360+270?

2.1 turns lock to lock. From center all the way to left is 1.05 turns (2.1/2=1.05)
So from center all the way to left is 1.05 turns - 380 degrees correct?
Same from center all the way to right is 1.05 turns - 380 degrees.

Not sure if I am right but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night!!!!

I had two Honda CRX's in the young days and still get amazed how fast this car can do a 360 in a parking lot. Also how tight is can turn. Also how easy it can do it with no tire scuff.

Last edited:

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
2.1 turns lock to lock. From center all the way to left is 1.05 turns (2.1/2=1.05)
So from center all the way to left is 1.05 turns - 380 degrees correct?
Same from center all the way to right is 1.05 turns - 380 degrees.

Not sure if I am right but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night!!!!

I had two Honda CRX's in the young days and still get amazed how fast this car can do a 360 in a parking lot. Also how tight is can turn. Also how easy it can not it with no tire scuff.

I see the math, but I always thought lock to lock was turning the wheel all the way to the left and measuring until it stops to the right. Or right to left. You're not at a lock if you start in the middle.

I tried looking up the specs for a 1984 Z28. They have fast steering. But the best it seems it did was 2-1/2 turns. So the R is the fastest I've owned for steering and acceleration. Easily would have beat my 4-speed Posi-traction big block Trans Am by 2 seconds to 60 and in the quarter.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
380deg lock to lock would be very quick I think.
From center you would only need to turn wheel 180deg to reach a full left or right turn.
That would be more like F1 speed would it not?
I think that would be too quick for DD.

I think the 380deg does not go with lock to lock.

It would be over 360 from center to lock. A half turn to lock is more like a racing go cart.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
I too am impressed with the R's steering. I'm very impartial towards hydraulic setups, but for EPS, the R's is damn good - best I've driven by far. BMW has been struggling to get it right for years - always talking about improvement, but seemingly always with a ways to go.

Trancebolt

Ready to race!
From the threads ive searched to ask my followup question, this is by far the best. Had to revive it.

So the steering is also variable. So it lists from 9.5-14.1 ratio. Is that from the middle of the rack to the ends? Going from lower to higher, or does the speed/mode of the steering determine which part of the rack it acts most on?

Im not a technician by any means, but i did alot of reading and this is one of the quickest production car steering racks you can get, and better turning radius than alot of its competition; its not always direct steer though. Ive had a car or two with direct ratios of 9 ish permanently, and you can tell a huge difference. It was honestly too twitchy and i overturned often, so i do appreciate the variable ratio; i just dont understand it.

How can a car always have a 2.1 lock to lock, but be variable? How does the sport setting play into actually giving you better steering ability yet causing it to require more effort? Does it keep it within the center part of the rack which has 9.5 spaced teeth? and the lighter play in normal mode allows it to access the outer parts of the rack sooner which are spaced further?

Excuse any ignorance =D just very curious. Love the steering in the car, and i switch from normal to sport steering often and i just wonder whats really happening.. (wouldnt mind being pointed to an article if this is an essay answer =D )

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
From the threads ive searched to ask my followup question, this is by far the best. Had to revive it.

So the steering is also variable. So it lists from 9.5-14.1 ratio. Is that from the middle of the rack to the ends? Going from lower to higher, or does the speed/mode of the steering determine which part of the rack it acts most on?

Im not a technician by any means, but i did alot of reading and this is one of the quickest production car steering racks you can get, and better turning radius than alot of its competition; its not always direct steer though. Ive had a car or two with direct ratios of 9 ish permanently, and you can tell a huge difference. It was honestly too twitchy and i overturned often, so i do appreciate the variable ratio; i just dont understand it.

How can a car always have a 2.1 lock to lock, but be variable? How does the sport setting play into actually giving you better steering ability yet causing it to require more effort? Does it keep it within the center part of the rack which has 9.5 spaced teeth? and the lighter play in normal mode allows it to access the outer parts of the rack sooner which are spaced further?

Excuse any ignorance =D just very curious. Love the steering in the car, and i switch from normal to sport steering often and i just wonder whats really happening.. (wouldnt mind being pointed to an article if this is an essay answer =D )

You're right, I didn't consider the variable part. I figure the rack and the pinon have the teeth spaced closer near the ends.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
How can a car always have a 2.1 lock to lock, but be variable?

2.1 is just the total distance. From what I've gathered reading about this stuff in the past, starting with BMW's variable system introduced with the E90, within that 2.1 turns, the amount of "turn" being imparted to the wheels is variable. In other words, in the first part of the travel, there's less "turn" - but as you get further towards fully turned, the amount of "turn" gradually increases. Make sense?

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
Yes, I believe that's how it works. I am amazed at the MK7 GTi steering compared to my MK5. Getting in the MK5 and trying to turn it feels like I'm steering a bus compared to the MK7, which I always have set on Sport. I believe the variable rack has a lot to do with this.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
Yes, I believe that's how it works. I am amazed at the MK7 GTi steering compared to my MK5. Getting in the MK5 and trying to turn it feels like I'm steering a bus compared to the MK7, which I always have set on Sport. I believe the variable rack has a lot to do with this.

Yep, I felt the same coming from the mk6 Golf I had before.

NCM

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
2.1 is just the total distance. From what I've gathered reading about this stuff in the past, starting with BMW's variable system introduced with the E90, within that 2.1 turns, the amount of "turn" being imparted to the wheels is variable. In other words, in the first part of the travel, there's less "turn" - but as you get further towards fully turned, the amount of "turn" gradually increases. Make sense?

It does. However variable ratio steering racks have been in use for well over two decades. My 1996 E36 M3 has one, and it wasn't novel then. In recent years they've become more extreme with lock-to-lock values of barely over 2 turns on some cars, but slower geared around the straight ahead position to make the steering less twitchy on the highway.

Neil