GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY MIB1 to MIB2 Infotainment Conversion (Part 1)

777-300ER

Go Kart Newbie
Thanks. What about my questions on the nav and part number compatability?

If you get a non Pro unit get the 6.5 display. If you get a pro unit get an 8 inch display. They can work either way but the pro unit has more items displayed to work better with the larger screen. I'm not sure your current maps SD card will work on the new unit however.

Rmzhrb

Passed Driver's Ed
I just installed “3Q0035876” on my ‘15 GTI. I also had NAV and fender in my car. I personally bought a new AMP, which some people here say it’s no longer needed as you can simply code the existing amp. I also bought a version 4 map SD card on eBay for about $30. All that said, I had Jack do the activation for CarPlay and NAV earlier this month and couldn’t be happier with the turnout.

Note: I spent a good amount of money trying to get the dealer to do the activation and none of that worked. They were only able to remove CP and enable Bluetooth and sound. I suggest save your money and get in touch with Jack.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
If you get a non Pro unit get the 6.5 display. If you get a pro unit get an 8 inch display. They can work either way but the pro unit has more items displayed to work better with the larger screen. I'm not sure your current maps SD card will work on the new unit however.
I have never heard that Discover Pro unit shows more icons on the display, consensus seems to be both screens have the same resolution. In any case if prices are similar get the larger screen... Makes everything easier to see but more importantly makes it easier to use the on-screen keyboard for built-in navigation/CarPlay/AndroidAuto. I think those of us that upgraded from the 6.5 to the 8 feel it was worth it. Even more so this is your initial purchase.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
@Rmzhrb Yeah, way back when this thread was young, i had the dealership try as well. No dice. They even were going back and reading this thread (wave) looking for help. Sorry you didn't see the earlier warnings about that.

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
Rmzhrb, glad you got all sorted. I have tried to update the thread concerning all the things we have learned through this process such as buying App Connect from Jack and not online, use of MIB1 amp (updated the day it was confirmed in both parts section and process section), etc. I updated to make it clearer not to bother going to dealer as follows:

Have component protection (CP) removed and have App-Connect key implemented: Important Update: Do not go to dealer as no one has had a dealer successfully install App-Connect FeC. Find someone like Jack who has FAZIK connection and can remove CP, implement App-Connect FeC. Also DO NOT purchase AP connect separately. See IMPORTANT UPDATE https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showp...&postcount=262 and reinstall existing FeC's (Driver Modes and Voice Commands) which are associated with your VIN in the VW database.

Last edited:

Rmzhrb

Passed Driver's Ed
I was aware that the dealership had not been successful with NAV and CarPlay. Main reason I took it in was to remove the CP and enable Bluetooth while I wait for the VAS cable from China (for Jack to do the activation). While I was there they asked if they can try to do the remaining items, but no luck. Kept hoping they would be able to figure it out. Long story short, Jack is the way to go!

777-300ER

Go Kart Newbie
I was aware that the dealership had not been successful with NAV and CarPlay. Main reason I took it in was to remove the CP and enable Bluetooth while I wait for the VAS cable from China (for Jack to do the activation). While I was there they asked if they can try to do the remaining items, but no luck. Kept hoping they would be able to figure it out. Long story short, Jack is the way to go!
I have no idea why you would do that and not instead just put the MIB1 head and screen back in.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Rmzhrb

Passed Driver's Ed
I have no idea why you would do that and not instead just put the MIB1 head and screen back in.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Because I’m impatient and would rather have an 8” screen without NAV (that I never used) than a 5.8” with NAV.

mixolydian23

I just installed “3Q0035876” on my ‘15 GTI. I also had NAV and fender in my car. I personally bought a new AMP, which some people here say it’s no longer needed as you can simply code the existing amp. I also bought a version 4 map SD card on eBay for about $30. All that said, I had Jack do the activation for CarPlay and NAV earlier this month and couldn’t be happier with the turnout.

Note: I spent a good amount of money trying to get the dealer to do the activation and none of that worked. They were only able to remove CP and enable Bluetooth and sound. I suggest save your money and get in touch with Jack.
I’ve been lurking around this thread for a while—thanks for all the great info here. I have a couple of questions before I finish buying parts (sorry if they were previously answered):

1. Can Jack enable NAV in a 2015 SEL (it currently has factory NAV) assuming I buy a MIB2 unit with NAV (3Q0035876). I didn't think this was possible until Rmzhrb said he had this done recently.
2. My vehicle has Fender audio and I don't have experience with VCDS—can Jack perform the coding to use the existing MIB1 amp?
3. Do I need the donor VIN for just the glovebox unit or do I also need it for the screen?

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
I’ve been lurking around this thread for a while—thanks for all the great info here. I have a couple of questions before I finish buying parts (sorry if they were previously answered):

1. Can Jack enable NAV in a 2015 SEL (it currently has factory NAV) assuming I buy a MIB2 unit with NAV (3Q0035876). I didn't think this was possible until Rmzhrb said he had this done recently.
2. My vehicle has Fender audio and I don't have experience with VCDS—can Jack perform the coding to use the existing MIB1 amp?
3. Do I need the donor VIN for just the glovebox unit or do I also need it for the screen?
1. Yes, it will work
2. No, you have to do the coding
3. You don't need the VIN for either

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk