GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MIB Retrofits, FeC/SWaP, Hacked vs Legit

shapeshifter1

Passed Driver's Ed
I haven't seen a lot of information posted about this topic, so I thought I'd share what I know.

MIB-1 and MIB-2 units utilize a feature activation mechanism called SWaP (Software as Product). By entering an FeC (Feature enablement code), VW techs can provision your vehicle's infotainment system with new features.

You've likely seen threads regarding Performance Monitor being enabled on random vehicles. Or, folks in the UK didn't purchase App-Connect (carplay/android auto), and are trying to get it activated after purchase. Fact is, these features can only be enabled by having a legitimate FeC code and PIN. These are registered to the vehicle using ODIS with an online connection to VWAG. That implies there's an association that happens on VW's servers that ties that registration code to your vehicle's VIN.

How do you view the FeC codes provisioned for your vehicle? Hold down the Menu button for several seconds, and you'll get a menu option that let's you view them.

What else does the FeC / SWaP code registration imply? Based on my experience:

- If you pick up a used infotainment system, component protection will kick in. But the infotainment device will still have the FeC codes in there, and the functions that were provisioned for the original vehicle/VIN will work.

- When you get the dealer to remove component protection (which is pretty quick & easy), the device will see the VIN has changed, and the FeC codes will show up as "Invalid" as the status. When the VW tech runs through the ODIS guided fault finder, ODIS will pull all of the FeC codes applicable to your VIN, and enable them for you on the new infotainment device.

- On a 2015 vehicle, there is no App-Connect feature provisioned (Since this is a 2016/MIB2 feature only). So this feature won't work. You can however, purchase the same part number that UK folks are purchasing: 5g0054830a Bring this to a dealer, have them use ODIS to activate it along with your retrofitted MIB-II unit.

- On a 2015 vehicle, the FeC code for Navigation & Traffic is different than that of a 2016+. So the fact is, you'll never be able to activate this.

- Regarding Performance Monitor, there currently isn't a purchase-able activation code available to my knowledge. No idea how VW will be enabling 2016 vehicles to get the feature either.

There is an alternative however. You can get a "hacked" unit from APG out in Poland. An Australian & UK company sells hacked units also. Whether you want to go this route is up to you.

Hacked Units:
+ All features enabled (app-connect, Nav, Performance Monitor)
+ Plug & Play (configuration wise. No trips to dealer, etc)
- Unsupported by the dealer
- How do you update the firmware on these things?

Legit Units:
+ Can be sourced super cheap from ebay or your local salvage yard
+ Can be supported by the dealer
+ Firmware is update-able
- App-Connect Activation is another $300
- No Navigation workaround (There's talk of a fuel pump fuse trick)
- No Performance Monitor

Hopefully this helps clear up some confusion!

Last edited:

2.0Low

Passed Driver's Ed
Well thanks for the write up! I've spent countless hours searching for just this.

I have a 2015 and I wanted to retrofit a MIBII with Nav, but the prices for a hacked system isn't worth it to me. I guess I'll put this mod on hold or look in to something aftermarket.

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
This is brilliant! Thanks for explaining and explaining effectively. Makes so much sense and lines up with my experience. I recently installed a salvage MIB2 unit, and all seemed to be working well, CarPlay with component protection (CP) still activated. The gentlemen who was going to remove the CP mentioned that I would lose Carplay function. Didn't bother removing CP as the unit went blue screen after 10 minutes. Have another unit coming in, and will work through these issues. The faster unit and higher resolution screen are nice, but need to assess paying to get CarPlay activated. Hmmm, this may be a case of moving the AT64A eeprom chip from old unit to new MIB2 unit; curios to know if that would work, surface mount, but only 8 pins. Likely not, as likely both CP information the FeC coding are stored here.

Last edited:

shapeshifter1

Passed Driver's Ed
This is brilliant! Thanks for explaining and explaining effectively. Makes so much sense and lines up with my experience. I recently installed a salvage MIB2 unit, and all seemed to be working well, CarPlay with component protection (CP) still activated. The gentlemen who was going to remove the CP mentioned that I would lose Carplay function. Didn't bother removing CP as the unit went blue screen after 10 minutes. Have another unit coming in, and will work through these issues. The faster unit and higher resolution screen are nice, but need to assess paying to get CarPlay activated. Hmmm, this may be a case of moving the AT64A eeprom chip from old unit to new MIB2 unit; curios to know if that would work, surface mount, but only 8 pins. Likely not, as likely both CP information the FeC coding are stored here.

I have a dump of the eeprom in case you're curious. CP data is stored there for sure, but FeC doesn't seem present. It would be a decent amount of data and I don't see anything resembling it. But obviously it could be encrypted or structured differently in there.

Apparently some folks in the UK made a module that uses the fuel pump trick for Navigation activation. I'm trying to get more info:

http://www.factory-retrofits.co.uk/module-for-using-the-navigation-discover-pro/

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
These are the FeC’s I know of:

5G0054830A - App-Connect $208
5G0054809 - Driving Modes. $118
5G0054802 - Voice Activation. $138.
5G0054802A - Voice Activation with Navigation. $230
5G0054801 - Driver Alert.

selfish

Hi,

I've got a 2015 Golf, and took this part number to the [South Australian] dealer, and they told me that it suits cars from build week 22/2015, but mine is 11/2015. They can't refund the price if the part doesn't work - any advice? Would it still work?

The VW website here looks like it should - but the dealer says they would rather trust the parts catalogue.

Thanks!

Last edited:

shapeshifter1

Passed Driver's Ed
Are you attempting to get AppConnect working? It sounds like you've only got a first generation unit (MIB-1). Post your 5F module's part number and we can confirm.

I've got a 2015 Golf, and took this part number to the [South Australian] dealer, and they told me that it suits cars from build week 22/2015, but mine is 11/2015. They can't refund the price if the part doesn't work - any advice? Would it still work?

Dr_Guigo

Hello,

I've done the retrofit from Discover Media to Discover Pro (MIB I) with Dynaudio (no amp). I did all changes on 5F and it works good.

Now I have only 2 problems:

- VCDS logs with errors when scan the 5F module
- Navigation doesn't work (it works about 30s after start engine only)

Is anyone have solution for the NAV problem?

I'm thinking to buy a SDcard o VW dealer...

Thanks.