GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI S/Autobahn interior swap

Mk7Matt

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Has anyone ever performed this? I'm looking to trade my leathers out for plaids and have a few questions (and I searched before asking):

1. Has anyone done this?

2. Are the drivers seats a direct swap? Will all the power features in the Autobahn seats function correctly in the S model?

3. Are the door cards a direct swap?

4. For those who have done this any other advice or useful information?

Thanks in Advance!!!

Jondar

Ready to race!
Yes to all of your questions.

When popping out the panels be careful with the clips. See this video on how to remove the door panels - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXUulUy_eSM Here's another link with pictures - http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15678

The seats are pretty easy to remove. T50 torx to remove frame bolts. Tilt and prop the seats back. You will need to disconnect the wire harness. There will be a cut-out on the carpet, you need to remove the plastic screw to gain access to the plugs. Pry up the inner screw and it should easily pop up, once the inner screw is up all the way, you can pry out the outer. Shouldn't take much force. Then disconnect the wiring harness. Make sure the battery is disconnected or you will get a hard code that could only be reset by VCDS or Dealer.

For the rear seats, see link - http://unibrace.com/pdf/UNIbrace%20XBQ%20Instructions%205-10-15.pdf

Mk7Matt

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI

When popping out the panels be careful with the clips. See this video on how to remove the door panels - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXUulUy_eSM Here's another link with pictures - http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15678

The seats are pretty easy to remove. T50 torx to remove frame bolts. Tilt and prop the seats back. You will need to disconnect the wire harness. There will be a cut-out on the carpet, you need to remove the plastic screw to gain access to the plugs. Pry up the inner screw and it should easily pop up, once the inner screw is up all the way, you can pry out the outer. Shouldn't take much force. Then disconnect the wiring harness. Make sure the battery is disconnected or you will get a hard code that could only be reset by VCDS or Dealer.

For the rear seats, see link - http://unibrace.com/pdf/UNIbrace%20XBQ%20Instructions%205-10-15.pdf
Awesome! Thank you very much kind sir!!! :D

SuperDuper

Go Kart Newbie

Do you know if this specifically would work between Autobahn and Clark seats? I know you need to swap the module under the passenger seat too. Will the Autobahn seats still retain all its power functions once swapped?

Jondar

Ready to race!
Do you know if this specifically would work between Autobahn and Clark seats? I know you need to swap the module under the passenger seat too. Will the Autobahn seats still retain all its power functions once swapped?

Because the Autobahn seats have the "12 way power seating", I'm not 100% sure. You would need to check the wiring harness and make sure all the wiring looks the same. But if you are swapping the whole seat with the module, it should work and may need some programming. I have only swapped seats with the same electronic functions, such as heating and power incline and decline. Bottom line, do your own research before attempting.

Mk7Matt

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
What module are you referring to? I don't see any modules under the seats unless they are attached to the seat. Also, passenger seat on the autobahn is not a 12 way power seat; it is essentially the same as an S/SE seat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jondar

Ready to race!
What module are you referring to? I don't see any modules under the seats unless they are attached to the seat. Also, passenger seat on the autobahn is not a 12 way power seat; it is essentially the same as an S/SE seat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If all the functions are the same, it should work.

The module is attached underneath the seat to the frame, you do not need to disconnect it, actually you can't disconnect it because there is a line that is connected from the module/harness that feeds through the inside of the seat, I believe it is to the air bag. You do not have to disconnect any wiring/module underneath the seat. All you have to do is follow that loom underneath the carpet and disconnect the pins.

4MotionWagen

Ready to race!
If all the functions are the same, it should work.

The module is attached underneath the seat to the frame, you do not need to disconnect it, actually you can't disconnect it because there is a line that is connected from the module/harness that feeds through the inside of the seat, I believe it is to the air bag. You do not have to disconnect any wiring/module underneath the seat. All you have to do is follow that loom underneath the carpet and disconnect the pins.

I just did this swap last week. I have a sportwagen and swapped for the gti plaid seats. The module is removable. We swapped modules so that the module stayed with the original cars and the only codes thrown were the codes for disconnecting the battery. Drove about a block and all codes went away.

Also had to swap the main harness as the gti plaid seats had two connectors that plugged in under the carpet and the sportwagen had 3 connectors. Both cars were 2017 and all the wires and sensors were the same just different connectors on the main harness to plug into the floor. I didn't bring my pinning tools with me because everything I read said it was a direct swap and I drove from michigan to florida to do the swap.

Jondar

Ready to race!
I just did this swap last week. I have a sportwagen and swapped for the gti plaid seats. The module is removable. We swapped modules so that the module stayed with the original cars and the only codes thrown were the codes for disconnecting the battery. Drove about a block and all codes went away.

Also had to swap the main harness as the gti plaid seats had two connectors that plugged in under the carpet and the sportwagen had 3 connectors. Both cars were 2017 and all the wires and sensors were the same just different connectors on the main harness to plug into the floor. I didn't bring my pinning tools with me because everything I read said it was a direct swap and I drove from michigan to florida to do the swap.

Glad you got it to work. Did both cars have the same features? If not, it may explain the difference in connectors.

4MotionWagen

Ready to race!
Glad you got it to work. Did both cars have the same features? If not, it may explain the difference in connectors.

Exactly the same features. We were a little surprised but I was determined to get the Clark Plaid Seats. lol. Others have made this swap with regular Golfs and Sportwagens and have claimed they were plug and play, just swap the modules. I have a 4motion Sportwagen. Not sure if that is the difference but it wasn't exactly plug and play. However, it was not that bad either.

I have already ordered the console armrest, park brake boot, DSG shift boot and steering wheel to finish the package. Everything but the wheel will be here Friday. The wheel will be a week or two as I ordered that straight from Germany brand new for less than half the cost from the dealer here. Still deciding if I want to swap the brushed aluminum bits for the carbon fiber GTI bits. I was a little worried about the gray pillars and headliner in my car but the thin gray stripes in the plaid match the gray in my wagon perfectly.

Last edited:

Jondar

Ready to race!
Exactly the same features. We were a little surprised but I was determined to get the Clark Plaid Seats. lol. Others have made this swap with regular Golfs and Sportwagens and have claimed they were plug and play, just swap the modules. I have a 4motion Sportwagen. Not sure if that is the difference but it wasn't exactly plug and play. However, it was not that bad either.

I have already ordered the console armrest, park brake boot, DSG shift boot and steering wheel to finish the package. Everything but the wheel will be here Friday. The wheel will be a week or two as I ordered that straight from Germany brand new for less than half the cost from the dealer here. Still deciding if I want to swap the brushed aluminum bits for the carbon fiber GTI bits. I was a little worried about the gray pillars and headliner in my car but the thin gray stripes in the plaid match the gray in my wagon perfectly.

That's strange, I didn't have to touch the modules. So the there were 3 connectors that plugged into the carpet, which I believe is connected to the BCM? Then you had to swap out the modules that were directly under the seats? It may be that the Sportwagens have 3 connectors.

That's exciting! I love getting parts on Fridays, there's no better way to spend the weekend.

I really hate the TSI wheel, I'm also looking to swap mine out. The wheel needs a different airbag assembly, correct?

I'm sorta in the same boat. I wrapped the aluminum trim with carbon fiber but it looks really cheap. I may just get the OEM carbon, it looks much better in my opinion.

You should definitely post pictures once you get it all in.

Last edited:

4MotionWagen

Ready to race!
That's strange, I didn't have to touch the modules. So the there were 3 connectors that plugged into the carpet, which I believe is connected to the BCM? Then you had to swap out the modules that were directly under the seats? It may be that the Sportwagens have 3 connectors.

That's exciting! I love getting parts on Fridays, there's no better way to spend the weekend.

I really hate the TSI wheel, I'm also looking to swap mine out. The wheel needs a different airbag assembly, correct?

I'm sorta in the same boat. I wrapped the aluminum trim with carbon fiber but it looks really cheap. I may just get the OEM carbon, it looks much better in my opinion.

You should definitely post pictures once you get it all in.

Yes, 3 connectors on the Sportwagen into the carpet. All of the wiring had the same colors and went to the same sensors in both cars, just the large connector was black in the Sportwagen and red in the GTI and pinned differently. The small yellow connector was the same in both cars and the Sportwagen had a separate connector for the seat belt, a 2 pin black connector. Not sure if the modules had to be swapped but I read somewhere that you would have to have the dealer reset the module, something about anti theft stolen parts or some thing. One screw and one connector on the passenger seat only, it was easy enough to remove so why not.

Well damn, it appears that I do need a new airbag. Ordering now.
Do you just have the seats now as well or did you do the armrest and other parts too?

You could dip the parts for the carbon fiber pattern. That would give it depth and probably look more like real carbon fiber and possibly look better than the GTI bits. I dipped some things for my nephew in carbon fiber pattern and they looked like real carbon fiber.

Last edited:

ryohei47

Ready to race!
All the information the above posters have provided is spot on. Definitely be sure to swap the control modules under the seat or else there will be an error that only VCDS can clear. Overall the swap isnt too difficult.

I did this swap between an Autobahn and S a few weeks ago, let me know if you have any extra questions about the swap.

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
lots of great info in this thread. A plaid swap is on my someday list for sure...

Mk7Matt

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI

For anyone interested it can be done and all power features in Autobahn seats work perfectly in the base models. As said above there is a small module mounted to the underside of the passenger seat that will need to be swapped but it is as easy as 1 screw and 1 connector.

Love my new Clarks!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk