GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What Did You Drive Before You Drove A MKVII Golf, GTI or R?

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
My cars have been as follows:

1985 Jetta Diesel
2002 Jetta TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
2011 GTI
1985 Jetta Diesel
1994 Jetta 2.0
1986 Jetta Turbo Diesel
2005 Jetta TDI
2013 Golf TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
2015 Ford Edge...long story, only owned it a few weeks
2016 GTI

This list doesn't include my 1993 Dodge W250 (just sold a week ago after 11 years) and several off-road toys including VW powered rail buggies. A lot of my Volkswagens overlap as I usually own 2-3 at any given time. For reference I'm 26 years old lol
If that W250 was a 12V Cummins? I was looking for first gens for awhile, all the loved ones weren't for sale however. My dad has a mint '91 W250 with only 100k on it. He won't take the GTI for trade :( Lol.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
If that W250 was a 12V Cummins? I was looking for first gens for awhile, all the loved ones weren't for sale however. My dad has a mint '91 W250 with only 100k on it. He won't take the GTI for trade :( Lol.

It was a Cummins. And a W250LE manual to boot, so fully "loaded" 4x4, club cab. I paid $10,500 for it in 2005 with 88k on it and sold it last week for $15,500 with 190k.

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
81 Monte Carlo auto (first car, hand-me-down from parents when I got my license in 87)
95 Wrangler stick
96 Mustang GT stick (first car I bought new)
96 Passat TDI wagon stick
98 Accord stick
00 Civic stick
02 Echo stick
03 Escape auto
05 Sierra 1500 auto
06 4Runner (still own)
06 Golf TDI stick
12 Wrangler Unlimited auto
12 Passat TDI dsg
14 Focus ST
16 GTI stick

mondo

Ready to race!
Most of my recent cars were company cars, I much prefer bikes TBH

In 2003 I had a Seat Cupra R, 190BHP, that was fun but a gas guzzler
2005 I had a Golf 4 GTI, but the diesel edition with GTI logos in red, 150BHP
2007 I had a BMW 125D MSport, 184BHP, awesome car
2009 the company offered me a BMW320i, I opted for a Golf 5 GTD 170BHP

Personal vehicles:

2005 to 2008 Land Rover 90 300TDi "Wolf/XD" (ex army) 300TDi
2008 to 2011 Land Rover Discovery SE2 V8 with a BMW 5L V8 retrofitted, standard lump was a [BMW] 4.0L V8
Thereafter Opel Astra TDI which I drove in France/Germany until the rusted chassis became an issue for roadworthy in November last year

mesaboogie18

Ready to race!
Currently drive a 2017 GTI SE 6MT. Previous car was a 2004 VW GTI 1.8T 5MT. Recently picked up a 2017 Tucson Sport as my daily and I love it. MK7 GTI is my fun car now.

jmal2005

Ready to race!
97 Honda Accord Ex-L. Pretty sure it had a 1.8L 4cylinder. Even though it felt like it had a 10 second 0-60 it sure was fun to hear that v-tech roar at high rpm's :p Bone stock except for a 600w Alpine amplifier and a 12" subwoofer set up.

Gotta love having a slow first car though, I definitely would have killed myself if it was any faster.

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
97 Honda Accord Ex-L. Pretty sure it had a 1.8L 4cylinder. Even though it felt like it had a 10 second 0-60 it sure was fun to hear that v-tech roar at high rpm's :p Bone stock except for a 600w Alpine amplifier and a 12" subwoofer set up.

Gotta love having a slow first car though, I definitely would have killed myself if it was any faster.

Everyone should learn to drive a slow car first; God knows, my first car, a 1976 Dodge Aspen, was slow enough. Builds character!

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
It was a Cummins. And a W250LE manual to boot, so fully "loaded" 4x4, club cab. I paid $10,500 for it in 2005 with 88k on it and sold it last week for $15,500 with 190k.
Dude!!!!! That truck is/was beautiful to me. Those are thee only trucks I have ever like body wise. Light 1-ton, 5spd Getrag, perfect.

steddy2112

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE
Last car I had before the current GTI was a 2008 Cobalt SS.

It had a bunch of things done to it I guess. CF hood and trunk. Spherical and sealed leading and trailing control arm bushings. Custom set of HyperCo springs. 2 piece floating front rotors. Trans mounts that rotated the engine to align the axles to eliminate wheel hop. Garret cored intercooler with anti heat coating. Charge pipes. Catless downpipe. ECM tuning with HPTuners. Set of custom made headlights with FX35 HID housings put into the OEM unit. OZ Ultraleggeras 18x8 +38 with Dunlop Direzza Star Specs 235/40/18. At one point it had an Exedy Hypersingle six-puck clutch in it and I had a pretty sweet GT2871R swap on it.

What had happened was this:
I used to help run a forum and we'd plan a trip to the Tail of the Dragon every year. Since we all know about DI and valve coking, once I increased crankcase pressure via the 2871R I really did a number to the intake valves. Coked them up to the point where it pretty much misfired driving down the highway under light load. Pressed for time(due to the annual trip to the Tail was about a week out) my options were to swap out the head or swap out to a lightly used engine and turbo for the same price. Deeming that 400 whp was a bit much for a FWD car and waaaay too much for how tight the TOTD was, going back to the stock turbo was the clear choice/compromise. It's real easy to get 320-350 whp out of the stock turbo on those cars. One of the issues with the 2009 MY LNF engines was a high porosity casting in the engine blocks. Less than 120 engine blocks were affected(out of the over 20,000 made that year). I knew it was a gamble buying an 09 engine but what were the odds I got a porous block?

1:1 :(

Still really sad about this car. It is head and shoulders better than the current Golf platform in terms of performance. In terms of fit and finish and creature comfort the GTI/Golf is a miles better car though. So it's a trade of sorts, and leaves me looking for the performance I had. Oh and the stock seats in the Cobalt SS are probably the best I've ever sat in period. Brace your anus, big ass picture dump incoming:

Said seats:

Aforementioned HyperSingle:

+ big sticky tires(note: that is not myself in the picture. Confirmed not a doggo or over skinny white guy who wears way too short of shorts, that'd be my dad)

+420 ft-lbs at the crank and a no-shift(which was advertised with the car BTW, but of course on stock power. Made DSG-esque farts with a catted downpipe and fireballs catless)=

This is why the hypersingle came out btw. Also this is the reason we have dual mass flywheels on our cars. To keep this from happening. The no chatter and "ease of driving" are side effects.
The retrofits:

Floating rotors and the stock monoblocs. Oh and it's spring time here:

Riceboi before I got the hood painted:

Domoass:

Old guys from Canada are clinically insane:

Intercooler I mentioned before:

Manifold for the swap and the GT2871R(.064 a/r if anyone cares):

Post-swap pic. Nothing to really see:

And no moar ricer hood:

If you read all of this, thanks for taking the time to.

Last edited:

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
MK6 GTI in Shadow Blue.