GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What Did You Drive Before You Drove A MKVII Golf, GTI or R?

EXEA189

Ready to race!
What did you drive before you drove a MKVII Golf, GTI or R?

I came to my GTI by way of the diesel scandal. Prior to my GolfMK7 GTI, I had a 2010, 2012, and 2014 TDI Sportwagens. It fit my lifestyle when I had a large Labradoodle. (I still miss the mileage :( and my Labradoodle)

Prior to joining the VW family, I had a couple of Subaru Outbacks ('06 & '09) - until they started to get large (built on the Tribeca platform) and I gave up the AWD. I've never looked back.

I'm curious how you came to be VW owners? If you're a long-time VW owner or always had VWs, what was your first VW?

Last edited:

bigdave79

Ready to race!
My last car was a Ford Fusion (terrible). Before that, in reverse chronological order: MK6 GTI, Infiniti G37 S coupe, Infiniti G35 S coupe and VW Polo (my first and only car before moving to the USA).

My father's been buying Golfs for the last 30 odd years though so I guess it rubbed off on me.

slipperywhenwet

Go Kart Newbie
I've always had an eye for the GTI, but never been a fan of FWD vehicles. I travel a lot, and have driven almost every FWD econobox on the market as a result.

My Infiniti was costing me $400~$500 a month in fuel, and I finally decided that I needed something better on gas. I test drove WRXs, the BRZ, an A4, a few 3-series and 5-series BMWs among others. The GTI, even with its FWD platform, came out on top. It just felt right.

It also checked all of the boxes: fuel efficient, hatchback/wagon (lots of interior space), fun to drive, comes in a 6-speed, and lots of options for customization.

There are days that I wish that I got the R, but then I fill up the tank and drive all over the province and still have fuel to burn. Can't say that I've been this happy with any vehicle that I've owned in the past.

'06 Ford F-150
'09 Ford F-150
'09 Jaguar XF
'10 Infiniti FX 35

Firstboost

Go Kart Champion
06 E46 M ZCP was my last car. Turbo AP1/2 S2000 before that.

EXEA189

Ready to race!
My last car was a Ford Fusion (terrible). Before that, in reverse chronological order: MK6 GTI, Infiniti G37 S coupe, Infiniti G35 S coupe and VW Polo (my first and only car before moving to the USA).

My father's been buying Golfs for the last 30 odd years though so I guess it rubbed off on me.

@bigdave79 MK6 GTI to Ford Fusion? No judgement here, but Wow! Before moving here... from UK?

Tallman1024

2014 Beetle GSR 6 speed mt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

miked617

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
21 VW GTI
Scion t.C...getting walked by a jetta 1.8t years ago made me curious about VW.

sig

m00se

Ready to race!
Had an '08 Civic Si 4-door that my girlfriend owns now. Before that I had an Integra GSR that made 481whp, that car was a monster, but really unpractical. Had a couple of other beater cars while I had the integra.
Also owned a CBR600RR that I got rid of last fall, looking more into a dual sport type bike and a little more all around comfort.

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
@bigdave79 MK6 GTI to Ford Fusion? No judgement here, but Wow! Before moving here... from UK?

I went from a Fusion Sport to a MkVI GTI, before my R. The Fusion was, in that trim at least, not a bad car at all. At the time, coming from a Focus ST (old version, not the rather nicer one they have today) I was looking for a more comfortable sedan with some oomph. The 263HP six in that version of the Sport was fairly quick, the build quality was excellent, and it was, indeed, comfortable and quiet. It was also not terribly exciting, and not very engaging. After all, it was at root a Fusion. But it was by no means a bad car.

The current Fusion Sport, with its AWD and 300 or so ponies, is probably similar: competent, relatively quick, but heavy-ish, somewhat sedate, and decent at everything but really good at rather little.

SilveR1

I drove a 2008 New Beetle, 2006 Mini Cooper S, 2011 VW GTI, 2015 VW Tiguan, and currently in a Reflex Silver R. Will add to that particular colour's threads once we get nice weather again.

wiredbean

Passed Driver's Ed
'71 VW Bug
'67 VW Bus (lived in this for 13mos hahaha)
old pickup
2000 Subaru outback
I also couldn't do any of the new subarus so thought maybe its time for some fun!
I'm soooo crazy happy I cant believe it!
Love this forum and all the info! honestly thanks for sharing all the info!

dood.

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
1998 Honda Accord with a 4 banger and 5 MT

Misslauren82

Ready to race!
Most recent first -

2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland (V8)
2012 MK6 GTI (miss that car)
2008 MB E350
2008 G37 Coupe
2004 VW Passat 1.8t (also miss this one)
1995 Nissan Maxima (great car)