GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The exhaustive what tire (conti) to buy?

elamothe15

Ready to race!
Excellent well thanks for the suggestions everyone. That article on the new Conti ECS was great. I think I'll go with those!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Excellent well thanks for the suggestions everyone. That article on the new Conti ECS was great. I think I'll go with those!

With 235's I did not see any negatives.
If any, the extra grip and summer compound more than makes up for it.
Take a turn in a 235 summer tire and you cannot just hold the line but accelerate thru it. Skip a 235 and you are missing out. My opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

tgil99

Passed Driver's Ed
Seems like youve decided on Conti - cant go wrong and for the price you should get a great result. Ive run them on German and Japanese brands All Seasons with great success .
on my 2017 GTI Ive run Faulken Winters for the first time and love them, although we've had a very light winter so far, but snow predicted the next two weeks.
I would agree with other member on the GTI to run Summers ( I am thinking of going with Toyo since my car came with A/S Pirelli's) since I like the Toyo tread pattern and my mechanics put lots of them on BMW and Audi's with great customer satisfaction on performance and price point.
There are so many great options and if money no opject go with Conti, Michelin, Pirelli since most big race teams and series use them.
Good luck.

elamothe15

Ready to race!
With 235's I did not see any negatives.
If any, the extra grip and summer compound more than makes up for it.
Take a turn in a 235 summer tire and you cannot just hold the line but accelerate thru it. Skip a 235 and you are missing out. My opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yes I want to go with the 235s as well! I was more referring to his (or her) Conti tire suggestion. I will have them mounted on the 18x8 gunmetal Enkei Raijin

TXBDan1

Passed Driver's Ed
Conti DWs are amazing rain tires. So good that i use them as rains on my race car.

It's good you're running dedicated snows. It's important in New England as you can currently tell by looking out your window.

As for the shoulder seasons, as others said, you either run DWs and be a little careful when its cold, or you run DWSs and have more time on your summer set. There really isn't a right or wrong. If you're not autoxing or tracking DWSs are probably be fine. They're great tires.

elamothe15

Ready to race!
The purchase has been made and the new set-up should be arriving today! Gunmetal Enkei Raijin 18x8 mounted with 235/40/R18 Continental ExtremeContact Sport. Still need to wait a couple more weeks for the weather in the Northeast to warm up, but once it does I'll share! Thanks for everyone's input!

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
The new Conti ExtremeContact Sport is now the Michelin PSS's equal in terms of response and grip, with the benefits of better NVH qualities and treadlife it seems.

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticles/ID/4456/TESTED-Continental-Tire-ExtremeContact-Sport.aspx

I just bought a set to replace my worn DW's, and will have them mounted this weekend. I can already tell just by look and feel that the new ECS is much more sporty than the outgoing DW.

I read that article and it seemed the new Contis are finally on par with the old PSS tires.

That would be notable if Michelin hadn't just released their new Pilot Sport line.

Interested how the new 2017 summer tires stack up.

elamothe15

Ready to race!
Well temps are starting to warm up. As these are my first set of dedicated summers, any suggestions on what temps before I can put them on? I was thinking of putting them on this coming Sunday as next week looks warm. I'll keep a look at the temps, but I was thinking as long as the lows stay above 40 I should be good?

The highs/lows for the next week or so are:
Tuesday - 50/38
Wednesday - 56/36
Thursday - 48/46
Friday - 50/38
Saturday - 51/38
Sunday - 58/41
Monday - 63/48
Tuesday - 67/48
Wednesday - 67/47
Thursday - 60/44
Friday - 54/41

ManInTheClouds

Ready to race!
I read that article and it seemed the new Contis are finally on par with the old PSS tires.

That would be notable if Michelin hadn't just released their new Pilot Sport line.

Interested how the new 2017 summer tires stack up.

Well, they're not making 18" MP4S sizes for another year or so...

I think the ECS is a great buy, since it'll be probably be $40-50 less per tire once Michelin does. Its $20-30 less than the PSS already.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Conti has a great lineup of tires. Iam seeing them as OEM tires in many performance cars.

I am buying Continental WinterContact TS830 P SSR for my winter set up as i came across really good reviews.

Last edited:

iliveoncaffiene

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 718 GT4
Well temps are starting to warm up. As these are my first set of dedicated summers, any suggestions on what temps before I can put them on? I was thinking of putting them on this coming Sunday as next week looks warm. I'll keep a look at the temps, but I was thinking as long as the lows stay above 40 I should be good?

The highs/lows for the next week or so are:
Tuesday - 50/38
Wednesday - 56/36
Thursday - 48/46
Friday - 50/38
Saturday - 51/38
Sunday - 58/41
Monday - 63/48
Tuesday - 67/48
Wednesday - 67/47
Thursday - 60/44
Friday - 54/41

Clevelander here - those are plenty warm enough temperatures for summer tires.
Heck, you will survive at freezing or below freezing as long as the roads are dry (or even wet, but not snowy), just don't push it to the limit unless it's above 50.

I am buying Continental WinterContact TS830 P SSR for my winter set up as i came across really good reviews.
Hope you're aware that 'SSR' tires ('run-flat') ride like shit. ;)
I had them on several BMWs and a rental Golf TDI. In no way
I'd buy them by my own choice.

elamothe15

Ready to race!
Clevelander here - those are plenty warm enough temperatures for summer tires.
Heck, you will survive at freezing or below freezing as long as the roads are dry (or even wet, but not snowy), just don't push it to the limit unless it's above 50.

Thanks! Much appreciated. Can't wait to get them installed this weekend! Interior/Exterior clean on Saturday and wheel installation for Sunday!

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
Hope you're aware that 'SSR' tires ('run-flat') ride like shit. ;)
I had them on several BMWs and a rental Golf TDI. In no way
I'd buy them by my own choice.

This ^^^*100% they are also very expensive to replace.

I installed a set of Continental winter tires on my wife's Subaru ( non Runflat) and they performed great