GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Burger Tuning JB4 Golf 1.8TSI MQB specific information thread

Gro Harlem

Ready to race!
Wow, lots of replies in just a couple hours!

Didn't know you could hit over 300whp on the 1.8 with just the IS20, that's insane.

My WRX had the following mods: full 3" turboback w/catted j-pipe, 3-port EBCS, CAI, process west verticooler w/charge pipe, EGR+TGV deletes and a custom tune on my Cobb AP. Never got it dyno'd but it honestly feels like less than 300whp if not 280whp and the car is at least 200lbs heavier than my GSW. Add to that, the loud-interior, stiff ride, horribly implemented multi-function display, awful factory stereo and HVAC controls and the garbage paint that they use and I'm becoming a bit disenfranchised to the Subaru at this point.

After seeing some pics of some lowered Alltraks I slightly regret pulling the trigger on my GSW so soon but the LE I got is a really fantastic value. In hindsight a Alltrak SEL DSG with IS20 upgrade would've been damn-near perfect but whatever......

Any of you have issues with wheelspin with your open diffs? that's my other major concern for us FWD folks.

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
Wow is right! If you can get hold of the graph, type of dyno, and logs if possible, it would be awesome to have posted here. A definitive mod list, fuel used etc. would be awesome. It sounded like E85 mix and DP from what you posted before. I am assuming these are crank numbers? If so, we'll have to see what correction factor/drive train loss % was used to get to these numbers.

If we reverse engineer using APR's 1.8 stage II numbers from here:
http://www.goapr.com/products/ecu_upgrade_18tsi_gen3_mqb.html
Then we are looking at something like the following:
whp = 316 * 0.914 = 288 whp
wtq = 361 * 0.931 = 336 wtq

Edit: had the post up for a while before I posted. Looks like the mods are about what I expected.

Ton

Go Kart Newbie
Wow is right! If you can get hold of the graph, type of dyno, and logs if possible, it would be awesome to have posted here. A definitive mod list, fuel used etc. would be awesome. It sounded like E85 mix and DP from what you posted before. I am assuming these are crank numbers? If so, we'll have to see what correction factor/drive train loss % was used to get to these numbers.

If we reverse engineer using APR's 1.8 stage II numbers from here:
http://www.goapr.com/products/ecu_upgrade_18tsi_gen3_mqb.html
Then we are looking at something like the following:
whp = 316 * 0.914 = 288 whp
wtq = 361 * 0.931 = 336 wtq

Edit: had the post up for a while before I posted. Looks like the mods are about what I expected.

I think they would be wheel numbers as most shops don't have an engine dyno like APR or Uni.

A big question with this engine has been, how much does the variable exhaust cam matter? Other than engine size, that's another difference with the 1.8.

But this run may have answered that question. If these are dynojet wheel numbers, it looks like the 1.8 will scale similarly to the 2.0. So if you tune to run similar boost profile to tuned GTI (about 25 peak, taper to 20) you should get about 10% less power than GTI.

So 300 wheel should be doable. More for the brave.

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
I think they would be wheel numbers as most shops don't have an engine dyno like APR or Uni.

A big question with this engine has been, how much does the variable exhaust cam matter? Other than engine size, that's another difference with the 1.8.

But this run may have answered that question. If these are dynojet wheel numbers, it looks like the 1.8 will scale similarly to the 2.0. So if you tune to run similar boost profile to tuned GTI (about 25 peak, taper to 20) you should get about 10% less power than GTI.

So 300 wheel should be doable. More for the brave.

Yes, if these numbers are already to the wheels, then that question has officially been answered! LOL (fingers crossed)

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Wow, lots of replies in just a couple hours!

Didn't know you could hit over 300whp on the 1.8 with just the IS20, that's insane.

My WRX had the following mods: full 3" turboback w/catted j-pipe, 3-port EBCS, CAI, process west verticooler w/charge pipe, EGR+TGV deletes and a custom tune on my Cobb AP. Never got it dyno'd but it honestly feels like less than 300whp if not 280whp and the car is at least 200lbs heavier than my GSW. Add to that, the loud-interior, stiff ride, horribly implemented multi-function display, awful factory stereo and HVAC controls and the garbage paint that they use and I'm becoming a bit disenfranchised to the Subaru at this point.

After seeing some pics of some lowered Alltraks I slightly regret pulling the trigger on my GSW so soon but the LE I got is a really fantastic value. In hindsight a Alltrak SEL DSG with IS20 upgrade would've been damn-near perfect but whatever......

Any of you have issues with wheelspin with your open diffs? that's my other major concern for us FWD folks.

Wheelspin I said a big issue with mine and still IS12. I imagine it's worse with the IS20 at that power level. I'm not sure where mine is at, but I have clean logs of 23.5+ psi tapering down to 17 at redline. The car is definitely a lot more civilized when I'm just on 93 though. The e85 allows me another 6psi peak and 3 psi at redline

Ton

Go Kart Newbie
I got 239 and 300 ft/lb with only 16 psi. This guy is running almost 10 psi more. Still well within the useable range for the is20. He's also not sacrificing timing for boost. So if he's getting everything from the extra PSI, 300 wheel is GO!

Now,
1. How long before the auto trans dies?
2. Fivevspeed clutch life?
3. Is the fuel system on the wagon the same?

All wheel drive gets DSG, so they're top doggo.

4MotionWagen

Ready to race!
I got 239 and 300 ft/lb with only 16 psi. This guy is running almost 10 psi more. Still well within the useable range for the is20. He's also not sacrificing timing for boost. So if he's getting everything from the extra PSI, 300 wheel is GO!

Now,

Were these numbers with is12 or is20? I am guessing is20.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Ton

Go Kart Newbie
For me, wheelspin is easier to control with is20. The boost rise is softned a bit compared to the 12 and you can make better use of the much bigger power past 4800 rpm. The 12 comes in fast and hard like it's supposed to.

Without AWD these setups will never be punch it and go. But neither are high hp rwd. Most cars at this power/weight will go up in smoke.

Gro Harlem

Ready to race!
Yea I don't plan on doing E85, only running 93 octane and trying to get a nice custom tune going once I install the JB4. My GSW is my DD/hauler/trip car so I don't want to go completely nutzo on it until the warranty expires (then its IS20 time YEH!)

I'm even going to toy around with 87 octane to see if you can get like a 3-4psi bump using cheap gas. Might be a complete waste but why not? One of the biggest selling points for the 1.8TSI engine for me was the fact you could run 87 octane in it unlike nearly every other VW engine in the past like my old VR6, mk4 1.8T etc which needed 91.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie

Now,

1. ?
2. ?
3. FOL 70 and the trims drop. That was the trick. I've been doing it on my IS12 for a couple of weeks and have done a handful of logs. I've hit over 25psi with my trims maxing at 47. FOL 60 had them at 51 on 23 psi. I'm going to try another psi just to see how it looks. If it's still good, I'll add a little more. This won't be my every day setting though. This is strictly just testing out the limits. Who knows if FOL 75 or 80 is possible. The 60 setting was all based on the 2.0 engine. It was and is an unknown still with the 1.8

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Yea I don't plan on doing E85, only running 93 octane and trying to get a nice custom tune going once I install the JB4. My GSW is my DD/hauler/trip car so I don't want to go completely nutzo on it until the warranty expires (then its IS20 time YEH!)

I'm even going to toy around with 87 octane to see if you can get like a 3-4psi bump using cheap gas. Might be a complete waste but why not? One of the biggest selling points for the 1.8TSI engine for me was the fact you could run 87 octane in it unlike nearly every other VW engine in the past like my old VR6, mk4 1.8T etc which needed 91.

Are you going to do a downpipe? Without the downpipe, I've hit about 15.5 max on 93 before timing was getting pulled. I can get about 18.5 on the downpipe. My pre downpipe testing was in freezing temperatures though. I also didn't change the FOL to see if more fuel would help.