GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2 year service vs oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.

seapig

Passed Driver's Ed
So I'm nearing 18.5k and my 2 year anniversary with my gti. For convenience, and in conjunction with my fuel pump recall, I was going to have the oil changed at the dealership. Via the phone I was offered the choice of service or just an oil change. They were cryptic as to what the service entailed and its cost, only revealing it would be over $100 compared to the $75 oil change. Anyone have some input? I know the dealership has to make money and I'm lazy/willingly to pay for my time. That said, I do need to put some better plugs in (Eurodyne st2). Any input?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
It should be free. Assuming you're in the US, the first 3 years of services are complimentary.

EDIT: I was wrong.

Last edited:

seapig

Passed Driver's Ed
Not what I was told, only the 10k service when I bought mine. And how could I check? Btw, I'm in a 2015 which I bought in February of that year.

When did you buy yours?

Last edited:

SouthbayMK7

Ready to race!
I was told the same thing, I swear I payed for service up to 40k but apparently it was just an extended warranty. They only cover maintenance up to 10k like you said, at least for my local vw dealer. I have access to a lift so I always just do my own oil. It was only $50 for the oil change kit at my local dealer.

yo_marc

Ready to race!
I think I heard that in '16 model year they stopped the free service(s) here in the US. I didn't get any with my '16, when I bought late in '15...

seapig

Passed Driver's Ed
So does anyone know what the 2 year service or 20k service entails? I don't want to walk all the way outside and read my service manual!

SouthbayMK7

Ready to race!
20K service you should change oil, oil filter, cabin filter, rotate tires, and if u want u can add some fuel injector cleaner in the fuel tank. That is what the service tech at the local dealer told me. They wanted over $200 for all that. I bought the oil kit and cabin filter for $80 and did everything myself. injector cleaner is usually like $10-$20.

Edit: Dealer oil kit (including 5 quarts of oil, filter cartridge, and drain plug : $50-70. I would always go with OEM oil to be safe
Cabin filter: $13-$15 at DAP Auto https://shopdap.com/store/make-model-year/volkswagen/gti/mk7-2015-present/air-conditioning.html
Rotate tires: Free if you have a jack, jack stand, and tools to remove wheels, otherwise Americas tires will probably do it for a good price
Injector cleaner: $10-$20 from most auto parts stores, I like lucas in others cars but have not tried it yet. You can always try to find the factory stuff but i bet it will be
more $$$.

Here is DAP Auto's service schedule: http://shopdap.com/service-schedule-for-mk7-gti-2015-2016/

Last edited:

seapig

Passed Driver's Ed
You are the man! Thanks. Guess I'll be doing the cabin filter and injector cleaner on my own, the oil change is kind of worth it since it's going in anyway!

SouthbayMK7

Ready to race!
No problem glad I can help and I agree if they are gonna do the oil for $75 defiantly just let them do it haha

Rotating tires is just moving the front tire straight back and bringing the rear tires straight forward. If you have directional tires like me you don't need to worry about crossing sides

seapig

Passed Driver's Ed
Holy S$&t! $801 for an oil change and tire rotation...there's some dumb people walking the earth.

That's ridiculous!

wordsthatiwrote

Ready to race!
20K service you should change oil, oil filter, cabin filter, rotate tires, and if u want u can add some fuel injector cleaner in the fuel tank. That is what the service tech at the local dealer told me. They wanted over $200 for all that. I bought the oil kit and cabin filter for $80 and did everything myself. injector cleaner is usually like $10-$20.

Edit: Dealer oil kit (including 5 quarts of oil, filter cartridge, and drain plug : $50-70. I would always go with OEM oil to be safe
Cabin filter: $13-$15 at DAP Auto https://shopdap.com/store/make-model-year/volkswagen/gti/mk7-2015-present/air-conditioning.html
Rotate tires: Free if you have a jack, jack stand, and tools to remove wheels, otherwise Americas tires will probably do it for a good price
Injector cleaner: $10-$20 from most auto parts stores, I like lucas in others cars but have not tried it yet. You can always try to find the factory stuff but i bet it will be
more $$$.

Here is DAP Auto's service schedule: http://shopdap.com/service-schedule-for-mk7-gti-2015-2016/

Engineering explained on YouTube mentioned that those fuel system cleaners are not ideal. They clean the intake valves but leave deposits on your cylinder heads. They suggest just using high quality gasoline and the engine should remain clean.

But then again, I suppose an engineer wrote the maintenance schedule.

SouthbayMK7

Ready to race!
Engineering explained on YouTube mentioned that those fuel system cleaners are not ideal. They clean the intake valves but leave deposits on your cylinder heads. They suggest just using high quality gasoline and the engine should remain clean.

But then again, I suppose an engineer wrote the maintenance schedule.

It sounds like that guy did testing on a port injection engine, not direct injection. The problems I have been hearing is that valves get more carbon deposits now because before the fuel would get sprayed directly on the valves. Now with direct injection it gets sprayed in the cylinders so it doesn't hit the valves.

I'm wondering if VW is ripping people off by putting their own fuel additive in the tank and saying its helping or if they are actually running the cleaner through the manifold with their own tools/ equipment.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
You're all wrong. The VW approved service for a 2015 is OC, OF, cabin filter and tire rotation. There IS a multitude of check this and that, all things designed to find a problem that will cost you money. If you need your tires rotated it's a good deal for $100.

Keep in mind that when you rotate your tires (and only do front to back regardless of tire type), you should check the balance of each tire and add weight as needed.

On another note, VW eliminated tire rotation from the 2016 2-year/20,000 mile service schedule.

Last edited:

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
Keep in mind that when you rotate your tires (and only do front to back regardless of tire type)

I disagree if you have non-directional tires. Mine came with non-directionals (Bridgestone Potenza RE97AS) stock and I also have non-directionals for summers (Michelin Pilot Super Sport). A figure-8/cross rotation is better than keeping them on the same side for life. Most folks in the US will end up putting more wear on the left side of the car with the way our highway ramps work, with predominantly clockwise/right turns.

Status
Not open for further replies.