GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Emmanuele springs loud after install - thoughts?

lokerola

Ready to race!
Problem solved. ECS 15mm spacers on the front (installed by me, not the installer,) were too wide and causing rubbing over speed humps. Spacers off - sound gone. We're going to try 10mm spacers and see if that works. If not, I may just leave the front spacers off.

Last edited:

Hexxum001

Ready to race!
Problem solved. ESC 15mm spacers on the front (installed by me, not the installer,) were too wide and causing rubbing over speed humps. Spacers off - sound gone. We're going to try 10mm spacers and see if that works. If not, I may just leave the front spacers off.
I can tell you that 10mm spacers up front will work just fine. I have 10mm up front and 15mm on the rears with no issues.

lokerola

Ready to race!
I can tell you that 10mm spacers up front will work just fine. I have 10mm up front and 15mm on the rears with no issues.

Good to hear, thanks!

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Interesting. Are you on stock wheels/tires?

I didn't think anyone was getting rubbing with just springs and spacers like the ECS flush kit (15mm spacers front, 20mm rear).

Maybe the ED springs sit lower or travel more than say the VWR springs?

lokerola

Ready to race!

I didn't think anyone was getting rubbing with just springs and spacers like the ECS flush kit (15mm spacers front, 20mm rear).

Stock Austin wheels, Michelin Alpine PA4 winter tires in stock size. ECS 15/20 flush kit.

I had the tires installed before anything else, so who knows - maybe the tread on the winter tires is higher than the stock Bridgestone tire tread? You could be right too; maybe the springs are a bit lower or travel more?

nype

Drag Racing Champion
I have these spacers installed as well. Springs in the spring...

Most likely VWR. Which I believe are also linear, from what I have read. That said, this is an often debated detail.

I will do some research on how the EDs compare to the VWRs.

lokerola

Ready to race!
I have these spacers installed as well. Springs in the spring...

Most likely VWR. Which I believe are also linear, from what I have read. That said, this is an often debated detail.

I will do some research on how the EDs compare to the VWRs.

The ED springs ride great. Very little difference between the ride with ED and with stock springs. I'll put an update on here after I get the 10mm spacers on and let folks know how they work with the ED springs. I've never ridden in a car with VWR's, but I hear great things about them.

Hexxum001

Ready to race!
ED springs and VWR springs are very comparable. They are both linear springs and I believe they both lower your car ~1.2 inches. From everything I have heard/read, there isn't much of a difference. You can't go wrong either way.

Handguns4heaRTs

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
ED springs and VWR springs are very comparable. They are both linear springs and I believe they both lower your car ~1.2 inches. From everything I have heard/read, there isn't much of a difference. You can't go wrong either way.

EDs are made by Eibach, right? Are they more similar to Pro Kits or Sportlines?

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
Yea, I bought the ECS heavy duty kit with the replacement strut mounts, etc

Annnnnnnnnd.....I went for another drive today and the sounds coming are back. If you hit a pothole hard enough there's massive squeaking. Quiet on smooth roads. Sigh.

I wonder if I'm going to have to rip these out and replace them with VWR's? Well, this is going to cost me an arm & f$%(#*ing leg. Dammit.
I have VWR springs and had them on before I installed the flush kit. Sounds present both with and without.

I have all the sounds you mentioned just on the driver side. Especially the loud squeak which was super disconcerting the first time. At first I had an issue with the strut top nut not being tight enough. Once I fixed that, 50% of the issue went away. I have checked end links, mount and bearing orientation and mount bolt tightness. All that's left is a defect with the bearing or mount or the spring binding. Wish I had a GoPro or something i could stick on the wheel well so I could film it or capture the audio.

The sounds are worse in cold weather.

lokerola

Ready to race!
I have VWR springs and had them on before I installed the flush kit. Sounds present both with and without.

I have all the sounds you mentioned just on the driver side. Especially the loud squeak which was super disconcerting the first time. At first I had an issue with the strut top nut not being tight enough. Once I fixed that, 50% of the issue went away. I have checked end links, mount and bearing orientation and mount bolt tightness. All that's left is a defect with the bearing or mount or the spring binding. Wish I had a GoPro or something i could stick on the wheel well so I could film it or capture the audio.

The sounds are worse in cold weather.

Man, good luck finding the source. These sounds are certainly maddening. Have you taken off your front drivers wheel and looked at the fender liner and fender liner screws? The installer showed me how the tires were rubbing against the fender liner and screws. The screws were worn down already and the liner had wear on it. It was the cause of the major squeaks.

They also reinstalled the cowl after my springs were installed and I first heard minor squeaks. That re-install seemed to fix those squeaks (which were not as loud as the fender liner squeaks).

So here's the timeline:
1. Installed Michelin Alpine PA4 winter tires on stock suspension.
- Ride was quiet
2. Installed ED springs
- Minor squeaks over speed bumps, potholes, rough road, and speed humps.
3. Cowl re-installed
- All squeaks gone.
4. Spacers installed
- Major squeaks over big speed humps.
5. Front spacers removed
- All squeaks gone

I was babying the car between the cowl reinstall and the spacer install, so I didn't really associate the spacers with the new squeaks (dumb me). But it was the tires rubbing that made the sounds. It really sounded like the springs were binding or that something wasn't greased. I would swear up and down it was metallic or metal on hard rubber. I never would have guessed it was the tires on the fender liner. But it was.

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
What do you mean when you say the cowl? And no I haven't looked at the liner. I imagine the loud single squeak could be the tire hitting the liner. But that only happens under extreme compression.

I have smaller occasional squeaks over small bumps and road imperfections. I have read that white grease can help but it's been too cold to try much of anything.

Last edited:

lokerola

Ready to race!
What do you mean when you say the cowl?

When you open the hood, there's a large span of black plastic up against the firewall that you have to remove to get to the top of the shock mounts. It runs the width of the car in the back of the engine bay. I think they also removed the wipers to get this cowl off.

It has clips on it and they removed that large piece and reinstalled it, making sure the clips were tight and properly installed. They said they didn't find anything wrong during the re-install, but thought maybe a clip was loose, allowing for the cowl to move and cause noise.

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion

ECS flush kit will not rub with stock Austins and tires and VWR springs, it's somewhere on their website, the moment you change something like the tire to a more aggressive thread pattern or lower springs etc.. all bets are off. I installed my VWR springs 12 months ago and had the car with 5 adults at one point and there was no rubbing otherwise most times is just 2 adults and 3 girls, maybe the ED springs are a tad lower and maybe the winter tires didn't help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lokerola

Ready to race!
What do you mean when you say the cowl? And no I haven't looked at the liner. I imagine the loud single squeak could be the tire hitting the liner. But that only happens under extreme compression.

I have smaller occasional squeaks over small bumps and road imperfections. I have read that white grease can help but it's been too cold to try much of anything.

The fender liner squeak also happened for me only under extreme compression. You might want to check it out.