GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Emmanuele springs loud after install - thoughts?

lokerola

Ready to race!
I got my Emmanuele Design springs installed today using the ECS spring install kit and its loud. Squeaks over speed bumps, rattles and clicks over any road surface that's not smooth.

Is this normal with spring upgrades? Is there a break-in period?

I was expecting a quiet car with this upgrade.

I may have to go back to stock if this is normal, the sounds are extremely annoying.

Swoope

Ready to race!
I got my Emmanuele Design springs installed today using the ECS spring install kit and its loud. Squeaks over speed bumps, rattles and clicks over any road surface that's not smooth.

Is this normal with spring upgrades? Is there a break-in period?

I was expecting a quiet car with this upgrade.

I may have to go back to stock if this is normal, the sounds are extremely annoying.

they are springs, just like the ones that were removed. the issue is with the install.

beers

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
they are springs, just like the ones that were removed. the issue is with the install.

beers

x2.
Got mine installed 2 weeks ago and they don't make any noise.

I agree, not normal with linear springs.
Let the executing shop check from which end the noise comes from and solve the issue.
Remember some suspension components require fastening with the wheels on the ground.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Most likely the install...who did it?

Double check the mounts are oriented correctly
The strut bearing lined up with the mount correctly
Strut mount bolts are tightened
Springs are fully seated on the strut (properly)
End link nuts are tight

Those are the usual culprits

lokerola

Ready to race!

beers

x2.
Got mine installed 2 weeks ago and they don't make any noise.

I agree, not normal with linear springs.
Let the executing shop check from which end the noise comes from and solve the issue.
Remember some suspension components require fastening with the wheels on the ground.

Most likely the install...who did it?

Double check the mounts are oriented correctly
The strut bearing lined up with the mount correctly
Strut mount bolts are tightened
Springs are fully seated on the strut (properly)
End link nuts are tight

Those are the usual culprits

Thanks everyone. That's what I was hoping to hear. I'm surprised about the install since it was done by a very reputable shop. Well, I'll give them a ring today and get it back in to be looked at. Thanks.

lokerola

Ready to race!
95% fixed by the installer. They reinstalled the cowl under the hood and almost every squeak went away. They didn't find anything specific, but re-installing the cowl seemed to do the trick. Damn plastic in cars will haunt me forever!

Anyway, over the harshest of bumps there's still a small click from the front end. But it almost never happens. I may dig into the cowl myself if there's a warm, dry weekend this winter. Or I may wait until spring.

There's also a small rattle out back over harsh bumps. They checked the car 6 ways to Sunday and didn't find anything loose with the rear springs so it may just be another interior rattle that's developed. When I remove the wheels to install the spacers and splash guards this weekend I'll be sure to check the wheel wells for any loose plastic, cables, hoses, etc.

Anyway, the Emmanuele springs look and ride great. I'll grab some pics this weekend.

lokerola

Ready to race!
Did the shop replace your upper strut mounts and/or strut bearings when they did the springs? These are very often the source of post spring install noises.

Yea, I bought the ECS heavy duty kit with the replacement strut mounts, etc

Annnnnnnnnd.....I went for another drive today and the sounds coming are back. If you hit a pothole hard enough there's massive squeaking. Quiet on smooth roads. Sigh.

I wonder if I'm going to have to rip these out and replace them with VWR's? Well, this is going to cost me an arm & f$%(#*ing leg. Dammit.

lokerola

Ready to race!
It's not the springs. I've had them for almost a year now, no issues, no extra noise/squeaks

I'm not sure what to think. I have folks like yourself that have no problems with the springs. On the other hand there are some threads over on Audi forums complaining that the springs bind and that they had noises like I'm having.

I have a hard time believing the ECS kit is faulty. The installer is a well known performance shop that only does German cars and they had their suspension tech do the install and I'm having a hard time believing they screwed something up.

Double ugh.

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
I will say I had Emmanuele himself install them while I was still out in SoCal, so maybe your installers screwed up? It's actually a plausible explanation, it's the only variable. Well, that and the ECS kit. You should e-mail/call Emmanuele Design and see what he has to say about it! He is a pretty good dude from what I could tell.

Hexxum001

Ready to race!
I will say I had Emmanuele himself install them while I was still out in SoCal, so maybe your installers screwed up? It's actually a plausible explanation, it's the only variable. Well, that and the ECS kit. You should e-mail/call Emmanuele Design and see what he has to say about it! He is a pretty good dude from what I could tell.
+1 again. Emmanuele Design also installed my springs along with several other things. Thomas is a great guy and always helpful whenever I give them a call. It definitely can't hurt to call and see what he says.

lokerola

Ready to race!
+1 I've had ED springs for several months now and they are as quiet as can be and the ride is still top notch.

I do love the ride, they're quite nice in that department.

Yea, I suppose it's possible. I've found a couple of speed humps near my house where I can replicate the sound and I've taken a video of me driving over those humps to show the installer. I'll give ED a ring today as well.

+1 again. Emmanuele Design also installed my springs along with several other things. Thomas is a great guy and always helpful whenever I give them a call. It definitely can't hurt to call and see what he says.

Thanks, I'll give ED a ring and see if he has any thoughts.