GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Whirling Sound in Reverse - 6MT

elamothe15

Ready to race!
So I've had an "issue" that I've noticed for the past couple months. When I'm in reverse and start backing up I hear a moderate whirling sound right when the clutch bites. The car is silent with the clutch to the floor and engaged. I am not sure if this is normal or not and I only notice it during reverse. Additionally it's really only noticeable when slowing letting off the clutch to reverse and not using the gas.

I originally noticed it when backing out of my garage and then again at work (parking garage). I am not sure if it was something that was always there to begin with, since my car was not garaged for the first 6 months of owning it. When using the throttle to start up in reverse I do not notice the whirling.

I've had JB1 map 6 for about 6k miles now ("issue" noticed before JB1) and I have no issue with clutch slip, drive-ability, 3rd/4th WOT, or anything like that. As I said it's been occurring for awhile now with no issues. Any ideas if this is normal or what it could be?

2015WhiteGTI

Go Kart Champion
Is this sound when you have reverse engaged and let off the gas and "coast" in gear?

If so, it's normal. The reverse gear just whines a bit.

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
Maybe a noisey TOB but probably nothing to be concerned about.

defcon5

Ready to race!
So I've had an "issue" that I've noticed for the past couple months. When I'm in reverse and start backing up I hear a moderate whirling sound right when the clutch bites. The car is silent with the clutch to the floor and engaged. I am not sure if this is normal or not and I only notice it during reverse. Additionally it's really only noticeable when slowing letting off the clutch to reverse and not using the gas.

I originally noticed it when backing out of my garage and then again at work (parking garage). I am not sure if it was something that was always there to begin with, since my car was not garaged for the first 6 months of owning it. When using the throttle to start up in reverse I do not notice the whirling.

I've had JB1 map 6 for about 6k miles now ("issue" noticed before JB1) and I have no issue with clutch slip, drive-ability, 3rd/4th WOT, or anything like that. As I said it's been occurring for awhile now with no issues. Any ideas if this is normal or what it could be?

All forward gears are helical cut, reverse is not. Google it for all you would ever want to know and then some.

elamothe15

Ready to race!
Thanks everyone...probably just being overly sensitive to the sounds. Like I said no issues, but I'd figure I check and see what people thought.