GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New Official MK7 Golf/GTI 1/4 Thread

PacDawg

Drag Race Newbie
Pac, do you log your 1/4 runs?

I logged 1 but haven't had a chance to take a look at it yet. But I did see on the AP that it was knocking with like -6 at most. My gueses are either plugs, PCV, fuel or even ghost knock. DA was 1200, muggy and windy so that could have been factor of mph drop also.

PacDawg

Drag Race Newbie
I think I could have gotten to 10s on this run but stupid me let off early because I followed the other guy who was just running the 1/8th.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
Got my best time so far last night. 12.790 @ 106.61mph (1.808 60ft) with UM Tuning and all your bolt ons (DP/Intake) except for a stock IC and I'm 6MT. I was hoping for mid to low 12's so I'm kind of disappointed.

I'm wondering if the stock IC is limiting me. My best time with the stock DP was 12.95 but my trap was 108mph. I guess I will run some logs soon to see.

Filled out the form for my entry. Trying to get some good times for the Manual R! It's not easy but I'm slowly chipping away.

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
Just got back from the track and really struggled today. Best ET was 13.922, best trap speed was 103.99. Best 60’ was 2.507. The last time I went I was running 13.5 & 105 with 2.3 60. That was on all season tires too, whereas today I was running on Extreme Contact Sports. I think I was fairly down on power due to it being about 90F on the track, but I’m lost as to why my 60f times were so bad. Couldn’t get a decent launch.

Left on first strip, right on second.

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
Launch could be massive timing pull. High temps + high combustion pressure at low rpm=poor timing=power loss. Drop some E85 in there and yes, get an IC pronto.

I was actually running an E25 (ish) blend today. Last time I ran it butt dyno felt good but today it didn’t seem to make a difference. And just ordered an intercooler :)

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
If the tune isn't for E25 then the engine is likely to be lean.

Interesting. I’m running APR Stage 1 91 octane tune right now. I’ve heard running E20-E30 blends can usually yield a little more power/better cooling without consequence but I think I may just go back to straight 91 after today.

TechGuy32

Ready to race!
Ethanol can yield a tiny bit more power if the tune is correct for the E20-E30 mix so that the AFRs are correct. If the tune is for 91 gas only then the WOT AFR can be lean.

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
Ethanol can yield a tiny bit more power if the tune is correct for the E20-E30 mix so that the AFRs are correct. If the tune is for 91 gas only then the WOT AFR can be lean.

These cars run in full time closed loop fueling. It won’t run lean unless you’re way out of range or maxing out the fuel system.

TechGuy32

Ready to race!
Right but the base map for WOT has to be close enough to account for the ethanol because the O2 response is always behind the engine rev just like the knock sensor as they are reactive devices.

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
Right but the base map for WOT has to be close enough to account for the ethanol because the O2 response is always behind the engine rev.

It responds very quickly and hits target well even when fueling is 10-15% off. Plus it has long term fuel trims that will adjust over time so the short term trims don’t have to work as hard.