GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Free 6MT mod (part deux): clutch pedal spring removal

BravoMike

Go Kart Champion
Link to first free 6mt mod thread: Free MT6 wonder mod: OEM bleeder delay removal

This is a mod that I have read about on the "other" forum and I think I've seen it mentioned on this forum once. I did not come up with this mod and am not taking credit for it. I think it is worthy of its own thread to get the attention that I feel this easy mod deserves.

What:
Clutch pedal spring removal. There is a spring attached to the top left side of the clutch pedal that assists in pulling the clutch back towards the firewall. Removing this spring makes the clutch pedal feel more firm.

Why: By having the spring make it easier to move the clutch pedal towards the firewall, it makes clutch engagement feel weak and vague. I have also noticed when shifting fast, especially at higher RPMs, the clutch pedal felt like it was barely keeping up with my foot moving back out. Removing this spring makes the feel of the clutch engagement more precise and the clutch pedal never feels like it lags behind anymore.

How:
First I want to point out that this is an incredibly easy mod to do and is just as easy to reverse. I highly recommend anyone who has a 6MT to at least give it a try.

Tools needed;
1. T20 Torx
2. Needle nose pliers
3. Opposable thumbs (optional)

Steps;
1. Engage Parking Brake.
2. Unscrew T20 size torx screw from panel to left of clutch pedal that is near OBDII port. Pull panel forward to remove. This step gives clear view and easier access to spring.
3. Locate clutch pedal spring by looking on the top left side of pedal. The spring should be easily visible when looking somewhat upwards. (There is a larger spring that is enclosed that you push against. This spring is harder to see unless you really get under the dash. It is NOT this spring.)
4. Push clutch pedal in with one hand to remove tension off of spring. With other hand use needle nose pliers to remove spring.
5. Use opposable thumbs where necessary.

Enjoy! :D

Last edited:

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
Nice, might need to give this a shot. I've never heard of a spring going toward the firewall, usually it's to assist it coming up if anything from what I've seen.

BravoMike

Go Kart Champion
Nice, might need to give this a shot. I've never heard of a spring going toward the firewall, usually it's to assist it coming up if anything from what I've seen.

Apperently it's pretty common for cars to have this kind of spring these days. It is also common for people to remove the spring on performance oriented cars. Not really surprising that VW would have such a spring to make it easier/less fatiguing in stop and go traffic as that is a common complaint with manuals. That said, removing that spring still doesn't make the pedal too stiff feeling.

Last edited:

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
The Mustang I almost bought had a clutch spring, Steeda actually made a replacement one that had a lower tension rating.

When I was looking at it this caught my eye:

"By negating your factory clutch assist spring you will notice chatter/NVH from your clutch pedal. Your clutch pedal will never fully return to stock position without any assist spring, and over time your slave cylinder may begin leaking due to constant pressure on its seals from the clutch pedal not returning to the stock position."

Now does this translate into the GTI world... no idea.

BravoMike

Go Kart Champion
The Mustang I almost bought had a clutch spring, Steeda actually made a replacement one that had a lower tension rating.

When I was looking at it this caught my eye:

"By negating your factory clutch assist spring you will notice chatter/NVH from your clutch pedal. Your clutch pedal will never fully return to stock position without any assist spring, and over time your slave cylinder may begin leaking due to constant pressure on its seals from the clutch pedal not returning to the stock position."

Now does this translate into the GTI world... no idea.

There is zero NVH and no chatter at all. This is the spring that pulls the clutch pedal to the floor. How would it not return to stock position? The clutch pedal moves all the way back up as it should. The only time there would be any pressure on the slave cylinder is if the pedal was depressed, which this spring does not effect. I think of it as an "artificial feel unit" if you will, to make it easier to push the clutch pedal down.

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
It's a very popular thing for the Ford guys to modify the spring. A lot of them replace it with a higher/lower spring rate one. Once you know the dimensions you can just buy a bunch and see what works for you.

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
Hmmm... I think I'll leave it there, one of the main reasons I stayed Stage II SouthBend over stage III was because I wanted to keep the pedal effort down (it is still my daily, after all, in traffic...) Gotta say I'm pretty damn happy with how it feels on the SB Stage II Daily clutch with the clutch bleeder mod! That being said, it may be worth trying since it's allegedly so simple, and I've been down there multiple times installing my amp and boost gauge... :) This also makes me wonder, if I did get stage III could I just replace the spring with a stronger one? Interesting.

As far as it not returning to "stock" position with the Mustang example, the Mustang spring sounds like it's pushing away from the firewall, whereas our spring is pushing TO the firewall to make pedal effort easier. Which makes you think, well what about the slave cylinder thing? Well, I believe there is a "neutral area" before your pedal actually engages the clutch. I think this is why there is some kind of spacer you can buy that can eliminate that area, although at that point, if that is combined with the spring still in constantly pushing to the floor, I would worry about constant pressure on the clutch.

I'm not sure if that makes any sense... I wish I could find the link to that spacer thing but it seems to of been lost in my bookmarks... It was like some mod off e-bay for $10 that a few people swore by a while back in our local group in OC. I may be completely wrong in what it's supposed to do... just hoping someone on here knows what I'm talking about and can confirm/deny :D

BravoMike

Go Kart Champion
It's a very popular thing for the Ford guys to modify the spring. A lot of them replace it with a higher/lower spring rate one. Once you know the dimensions you can just buy a bunch and see what works for you.

Why would you need to replace it?

BravoMike

Go Kart Champion

As far as it not returning to "stock" position with the Mustang example, the Mustang spring sounds like it's pushing away from the firewall, whereas our spring is pushing TO the firewall to make pedal effort easier. Which makes you think, well what about the slave cylinder thing? Well, I believe there is a "neutral area" before your pedal actually engages the clutch. I think this is why there is some kind of spacer you can buy that can eliminate that area, although at that point, if that is combined with the spring still in constantly pushing to the floor, I would worry about constant pressure on the clutch.

I'm not sure if that makes any sense... I wish I could find the link to that spacer thing but it seems to of been lost in my bookmarks... It was like some mod off e-bay for $10 that a few people swore by a while back in our local group in OC. I may be completely wrong in what it's supposed to do... just hoping someone on here knows what I'm talking about and can confirm/deny :D

By doing a quick Google search, the Mustang spring is a completely different design. They use an over cam design with a spring rated at 185 in-lbs.

The "spacer" that you are talking about is a clutch stop. I do not have one and am general not a fan of those devices. I have always been able to learn where the clutch engagement point is, and want that extra play at the bottom of the pedal stroke to make certain that the clutch is disengaged when shifting. If the clutch stop is too tall, it will cause extra wear on your clutch.

KCchiefin

Ready to race!
Sweeeeet. Doing this as soon as I get home. I've always disliked how light the clutch pedal was.

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
The "spacer" that you are talking about is a clutch stop. I do not have one and am general not a fan of those devices. I have always been able to learn where the clutch engagement point is, and want that extra play at the bottom of the pedal stroke to make certain that the clutch is disengaged when shifting. If the clutch stop is too tall, it will cause extra wear on your clutch.

Yes! Thank you :) Clutch stop. After a quick search myself I now see what those do, and it's basically the opposite of what I was thinking. lol, nevermind that part of my previous comment! I agree with how you feel about them.

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
I thought this was similar to the ford helper spring, but if this one pulls toward the firewall then it is indeed different.

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
Ya that's what I was saying.. weird it's pulling toward the firewall since I'm used to the opposite. Definitely going to give it a shot this weekend.

If the Ford mod increases chatter, this might reduce it lol

BravoMike

Go Kart Champion
This is a popular mod that is not exclusive to any one car make or model. I haven't heard about it until recently either by reading it on the "other" forum. I have since come across numerous forum posts in the likes of BMW, Subaru, Infinity, Ford (Focus and Fiestas too), etc...

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Clutch+spring+removal

One thing I read about the Mustang is people talking about extra play in the pedal after removing this spring. Like I mentioned above, theirs is quite different and is an over-cam design. In my car, since the spring is removed, there is no extra play what-so-ever and the clutch pedal has the same range of motion as before.

I look forward to hearing other people's thoughts after doing this mod.

Last edited:
This is very intriguing. Especially since I came from a DC5 (RSX Type S) which had way more clutch feel. You could actually feel the engagement point too. I was shocked when I first test drove the GTI that pushing in the clutch felt like pushing your foot into butter it was so smooth. I like feel and feed back. But not so much that I am getting a work out. After all it would look weird to have ripped muscles on 1 leg and not the other lol! Down the road I plan on getting a stage 2 Daily from South bend too. So maybe this would be a good thing to do until then. Thanks BravoMike!