GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

unitronic downpipe and catback exhaust question

bluekid99

Drag Race Newbie
I have the uni donwpipe and i love it...but i was wondering if anyone knew what catback exhaust systems work with this downpipe minus the unitronic catback

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
If it has the reducer on the end, to mate up to the OEM cat-back, any cat-back that hooks up with the OEM clamp/OEM downpipe will work still

Like Magnaflow, Borla, etc.

It's if you want to eliminate the OEM clamp/connection that you'd need the Unitronic adapter and/or to fab up a new connection to a new cat-back where it gets tricky.

3" downpipe to 2.5" exhaust wouldn't be a big deal/restriction really. If you want a full 3", then you'd have to do some fab work though. (unless you went with the Uni cat-back, which would bolt right together)

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
This isn't ways 100% the case. I can't remember what brand DP he was running, but gn4r did have issues bolting up a different brand downpipe to his 42DD catback. I think it was a Eurojet DP but I can't recall right now. EJ said due to the different catbacks they can't 100% guarantee compatibility due to different angles, heights, etc. Just want to put that possibility out there.

Uni has good support so I would check with them, but I think you should be safe. Gn4r's issue was the first time I've ever heard of that from any company on any car.

bluekid99

Drag Race Newbie
i wanted to do AWE or Borla...but if im going to spend the money on a 2.5 inch i might as well do 3 in. all the way through...or maybe im wrong but is it worth it going 3 inch bc i dont think the exhaust gives alot of power

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
Exhaust probably won't give much, but I'd get a 3" if you're going to do it just to minimize any restrictions

ModdedEuros

Go Kart Champion

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
Yes, most DPs reduce to the stock 2.5" diameter then the 3" exhaust has a 2.5-3" adapter. Ideally you can take it to an exhaust shop who can do a direct connection with no reductions.

Most turbo back exhausts usually don't have this reduction since they know you're mounting it to their exhaust system.

bluekid99

Drag Race Newbie
Yes, most DPs reduce to the stock 2.5" diameter then the 3" exhaust has a 2.5-3" adapter. Ideally you can take it to an exhaust shop who can do a direct connection with no reductions.

Most turbo back exhausts usually don't have this reduction since they know you're mounting it to their exhaust system.[/QUOT

well thats a relief knowing i have options on a catback exhaust system with this downpipe

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Why not take the guess work (and labor) out of this though and get the Unitronic cat-back?

You seem against it
Then it'd be full 3", with their adapter, and line right up with no modifying of a cat-back or the downpipe either

John@Unitronic

Go Kart Champion
Our Downpipe includes a 3" to 65mm reducer designed to mate to the stock cat-back.
Our Cat-Back includes a 3" to 65mm reducer designed to mate to the stock downpipe.
Our Turboback includes a 3" Straight Link designed to mate our Downpipe with our Cat-Back.

As others have mentioned, you can use our reducer and the supplied reducer of your chosen cat-back, as long as it's designed to connect in the stock location; although not most ideal to go 3" -> 2.5" -> 3". Our 3" Straight Link is v-banded on both sides and mates directly to our Cat-Back, so I don't think you'll have much luck using this piece with a third-party cat-back. Hope that helps! Feel free to ask if you have any other questions!

Z27

Ready to race!
does the flow of 3" -> 2.5" -> 3" change the exhaust tone making it less aggressive?