GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

REV9 Intercooler for MK7 GTi ?

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
The expensive part of the intercooler, how the core transistions within the end tanks is impossible to see on this one.

A well designed end tank will feature internal tapers and engineering to allow the charge to flow across the entire core.

A cheaper solution may just weld something that fits to an existing core and be less efficent. Data is always needed in these situations.

The main cost in intercooler swaps for the mk7 is the 2-4 hours of time it takes to swap them. The intercoolers arent hat badly priced.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

GLoBaLReBeL

Ready to race!
I can speak to Rev9 DP and the quality of the product. I don't think it would be a safe bet with Rev9. The DP is just pipes welded together, so not to much can go wrong, but I did notice burrs inside the DP that I had to manually de-burr and clean up before installing.

This is not something you would want to chance on your IC, as anything that comes off is going right into your engine and can be a real problem. I felt fine, and still do, installing the DP from them as its after turbo and can't cause any problems.

Just my 2Cents on the quality. Sometimes its worth it to spend the extra $$ for the safety of the engine. And unless you are going with a bigger turbo, or are upping boost pretty high, then the IC upgrade really isn't needed.

StopSweatinMe

Ready to race!
The expensive part of the intercooler, how the core transistions within the end tanks is impossible to see on this one.

A well designed end tank will feature internal tapers and engineering to allow the charge to flow across the entire core.

A cheaper solution may just weld something that fits to an existing core and be less efficent. Data is always needed in these situations.

The main cost in intercooler swaps for the mk7 is the 2-4 hours of time it takes to swap them. The intercoolers arent hat badly priced.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Thanks for your feedback. I'd be doing the install, so there is no labor cost involved.

I'd really like someone to chime in who has done an intercooler on their MK7, with any ideas of fitment.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
Been wondering at what point i would need to upgrade my cooling system - apr stg1 tune i think ups you 10psi (not confirmed) and therefore im sure the turbo is much more stressed out.. Not to mention the intake temps must be hotter but at what point does that make an effect on efficiency?

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

StopSweatinMe

Ready to race!
I can speak to Rev9 DP and the quality of the product. I don't think it would be a safe bet with Rev9. The DP is just pipes welded together, so not to much can go wrong, but I did notice burrs inside the DP that I had to manually de-burr and clean up before installing.

This is not something you would want to chance on your IC, as anything that comes off is going right into your engine and can be a real problem. I felt fine, and still do, installing the DP from them as its after turbo and can't cause any problems.

Just my 2Cents on the quality. Sometimes its worth it to spend the extra $$ for the safety of the engine. And unless you are going with a bigger turbo, or are upping boost pretty high, then the IC upgrade really isn't needed.

You make a good point about quality concerns considering that the IC is pre-turbo.

However, at stage 2 I notice a pretty drastic reduction in performance on hot/humid days. The car felt like a rocket in the winter and I'd like to have similar performance year-round. I also plan on going with the IS38 once GIAC releases a tune for it.

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
Someone at one point will have to be a guinea pig to find out if it's worth it. The key is having data to back it up.. not just "feels" and that would take a temp and boost sensor pre-intercooler so we could see how well it cools and pressure drop. If you're already planning on going IS38, I wouldn't skimp on the intercooler.