GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Do you wave/say hello to other Golf owners on the road?

casualsurfer

Ready to race!
I'm new to the VW world but every car I've bought in the past 15 years or so I've joined an online community and generally waved/acknowledged other drivers of the same car if I see them on the road. The S2000 was unique that 99% of the time I get a wave back (it's easier to wave with a vert, I guess). The Volt folks were generally nice as well. Porsche Cayman folks mostly waved, but some just didn't look around at all and focused on driving (?). In my BMW 335 the younger guys flashed & waved, older guys don't really look. In the couple of months of ownership I've not really gotten any waves back from fellow MK7 folks, one in a MK6 the other day waved and flashed her lights.

So are MK7 drivers just not the waving type?

josh.dsg

Ready to race!
I definitely get waves!

Maybe its a PNW thing. We are all a little too friendly.

euroadb

Go Kart Champion
I think it has a lot to do with the demographic of each car's owners. You're way more likely to have a car enthusiast driving an S2000 than a Golf or GTI, who for all you know could be a regular Joe that just wanted a nice hatchback. If you have a visibly modified VW you're much more likely to get waves from other modified VW's. The exception to this rule might be the Golf R, of which the majority of owners probably are enthusiasts.

alper

Ready to race!
The exception to this rule might be the Golf R, of which the majority of owners probably are enthusiasts.

It primarily has to do with the area. Near where I live R owners are mainly 50+ y.o. people that chose the car because they wanted to "blend in" according to what a few of them have told me and majority of them has kept it stock, while GTI owners are more probable to be enthusiasts.

That been said I think a wave and wave back is two be expected between two similar and a bit special cars, like two GTIs or two Rs, but not between two 2.0 TDIs, haven't seen that at least. Even if it doesn't get to waving there's the eye-contact between them (GTI/R drivers) as these guys are much more likely to notice what others are driving, as opposed to the typical family, non-performance Golf driver.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Yes. I love givin a quick honk or the thumbs up when I see other GTI/GLI/(insert performance VW here) owners

nkresho

suck, squish, bang, blow
Car(s)
2022 Q3
I typically only acknowledge the modded. More often that not, they acknowledge back.

Often it's a nod, sometimes a wave.

Basically, seeing them as part of the community. Modded confirms (to me) that they are aware of the "culture" and the community we have.

If not, you're just catching them off guard. They drive off wondering if they know you from somewhere.

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
VW Golf
Kinda as above, bikers would always nod or wave to one another. I do take a tad longer looking at another Golf noting what the driver has done to it, if anything. That said my car isn't that special Golf-wise, but on the rare occasions it's clean and shiny (yes I know) I've noticed folk do say "nice Golf" as opposed to "nice car"....

Ehlectric

Passed Driver's Ed
I typically only acknowledge the modded. More often that not, they acknowledge back.

Often it's a nod, sometimes a wave.

Basically, seeing them as part of the community. Modded confirms (to me) that they are aware of the "culture" and the community we have.

If not, you're just catching them off guard. They drive off wondering if they know you from somewhere.

Exactly like me.

A side note though when I had a rental Wrangler for a week EVERYONE waved who was in a Jeep. Threw me off guard the first few times it happened haha.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
GTI's are common enough around here that if I were to acknowledge every single one my horn would start wearing out...

Jlungo

Ready to race!
I do but then realize my windows are too dark for anyone to see me waving...
But ive never seen any customized or tuned gti/r's so i feel like they wouldnt understand the gesture. Some ppl dont appreciate the car and the culture of their car

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

dgreger13

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I wave at every GTI driver I see. Now if I get a wave back is a different story. People here just don't seem to care that much. They give me awkward looks when I drive next to them on the freeway and give them a thumbs up.

bayarea7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'15 RSM 2 door S 6M
Most GTIs I see are driven by older folks. Its much more common to get waves or deuces from evos and even sti's when Im in the evo.

bayarea7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'15 RSM 2 door S 6M
However right when I picked up the GTI and was pulling out for the very first time from the dealer, a silver 2 door mkiv gti (the big brother of what I picked up, a 2 door silver mk7 gti), flew by me and yelled "NICE CAR"...it was a nice way to officially enter the gti community :)

blueshirts0819

Ready to race!
Car(s)
I wave at every GTI driver I see. Now if I get a wave back is a different story. People here just don't seem to care that much. They give me awkward looks when I drive next to them on the freeway and give them a thumbs up.
They probably thought, what's on my face.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk