GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rattling rear suspension....again!

baldybouncer

Due to the fact that my local dealer has damaged my car on every visit and I have forced them to put my car right I am now as good as banned from bringing my car into them... So I have a question

The rear shocks where replaced about 8 weeks ago and recently the rattling noise on the rear has returned when going over speed bumps etc....

My next dealer is about 12 miles away... If I take it into them for this suspension to be fixed finally will they be able to access the work completed by the other garage?

I really have had enough of my car going in and just want it to be right as my previous VW cars have been!

Does anyone know what is causing the golf to sound like a london taxi when going over rough roads or speed bumps?! The shocks where replaced last time but the noise has returned and I am sure it is worse than it was originally

ASKendrew

Due to the fact that my local dealer has damaged my car on every visit and I have forced them to put my car right I am now as good as banned from bringing my car into them... So I have a question

The rear shocks where replaced about 8 weeks ago and recently the rattling noise on the rear has returned when going over speed bumps etc....

My next dealer is about 12 miles away... If I take it into them for this suspension to be fixed finally will they be able to access the work completed by the other garage?

I really have had enough of my car going in and just want it to be right as my previous VW cars have been!

Does anyone know what is causing the golf to sound like a london taxi when going over rough roads or speed bumps?! The shocks where replaced last time but the noise has returned and I am sure it is worse than it was originally

Are they 100% sure it's the shocks? I know it's unrelated but in my Beetle I had the exact same problem and I changed everything (including the rear shocks 3 times). Turned out to be two little rubber bits in the boot that were not pushed together properly which caused the hatch to rattle! May be worth having a nosey around in the boot see if the MK7 is set up the same :cool:.

Beaker1

Go Kart Champion
Did you also check the endlinks and sway to ensure they are tight and secure as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

baldybouncer

I am sure the noise is from the suspension not the rear hatch...

The shocks where changed as VW has an issue with this part I believe -

The noise sounds a bit like rubber rubbing against something... I will call to book in today but was wondering if anyone had the same issue!

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion

Yes, the car is on the VW system and everything any dealer has done to it will be on the data base.

MarcA

Ready to race!
Thanks - Will get it booked it -What a pain in the neck!!

My old trusty Mk5 tdi got to 190,000 miles with very little that needed to go back to the garage for!

Feeling your pain.. I'm in the same boat. I complained to vw and it's going back to the dealer for more checks to the suspension as I described mine exactly the same as you.. like a London taxi !! Threatened them with rejection so fingers crossed this time they can sort it.

Ian91

Ready to race!
Main dealers - in my experience

I had my car damaged twice whilst at the main dealers, once by a customer in the dealership car park whilst having warranty repair and a different main dealer managed to dent my wing whilst the car was being serviced. So I'm running out of local main dealers, hope the suspension rattle gets sorted, if the shocks were replaced and the rattle was initially cured, sounds like the replacement shocks are faulty, try going for a test drive with one of the senior tech guys to see what he thinks.

Last edited:

baldybouncer

I had my car damaged twice whilst at the main dealers, once by a customer in the dealership car park whilst having warranty repair and a different main dealer managed to dent my wing whilst the car was being serviced. So I'm running out of local main dealers, hope the suspension rattle gets sorted, if the shocks were replaced and the rattle was initially cured, sounds like the replacement shocks are faulty, try going for a test drive with one of the senior tech guys to see what he thinks.

My car had the following happen to it:

Deep scratch along the boot from being valeted - they didn't rinse off the salt before cleaning it - Had to be machine polished out :(

Chip on the edge of the gear surround - this was damaged then the carpets where being replaced under warranty - the gearknob had to be replaced as it came as one part - took months to get the garage to accept they damaged it it and replace

Rattle on the near side of the dash - this was quite a loud noise and eventually the heater vent was replaced after 3 goes - even though it was not this causing the noise!!! after a 30 second drive (me not driving) I found the rattle was actually the metal/black trim part above the glove box causing the issue - I repaired this myself with a hot melt glue gun...

Touch screen surround - the black shiny trim that surrounds the radio was damaged - My touch screen was replaced and this trim was broken (the dials for the vents where not proud any more and rattled - broken clips I imagine ) this was replaced eventually

The above would be enough to annoy you but please bear in mind I had the car in 4 times for the touch screen to be replaced!

So because they damaged my car when they worked on it and I made them replace it they will no longer accept my car into their garage as in their words 'they cannot do the work to the standard I expect!' what standard is that? surely its just normal to expect your car back in the state it was left...

Needless to say I have lodged a formal complaint with VW UK and they will be looking into the dealers attitude towards my car and subsequent complaints... Will update once I hear back from them over it...

fuelboss

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI MK7.5 DSG
Fit the Bilstein B4 OEM Replacements

If you are driving a non DCC vehicle then just fit the Bilstein B4 OEM replacements and you will not believe the difference. Problem solved immediately.

See my story here www.vwgolfmk7problems.uk

If you have not seen this before then take a look at my YouTube videos.

£250 - £300 here in the UK including fitting. Don't put up with something that VW do not want to cure or the bullshit they will give you. You will be wasting your time if you do. Others have followed me on this and have had success just as I have done.

Good luck.

slingading

I had mine in a couple of weeks ago for this same rattle. First visit and engineer came for a drive and acknowledged the noise immediately, so the car was booked in for what he suspected was the top strut mounts. When it was in I received a video from him claiming there is a flat spot on the rear near side alloy and that this is the cause of the noise! How the *#%* does a flat spot, that must be so minuscule that it is not noticeable when driving, cause a rattle that sounds like logs in the boot, ONLY at low speeds? Quoted £695 for a new alloy and when I spoke to the engineer and pointed out the many same complaints on this forum, and on others, was told 'there's s lot of bollocks posted on the internet'!
Don't have much faith in this particular dealer after this experience!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fuelboss

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI MK7.5 DSG
I had mine in a couple of weeks ago for this same rattle. First visit and engineer came for a drive and acknowledged the noise immediately, so the car was booked in for what he suspected was the top strut mounts. When it was in I received a video from him claiming there is a flat spot on the rear near side alloy and that this is the cause of the noise! How the *#%* does a flat spot, that must be so minuscule that it is not noticeable when driving, cause a rattle that sounds like logs in the boot, ONLY at low speeds? Quoted £695 for a new alloy and when I spoke to the engineer and pointed out the many same complaints on this forum, and on others, was told 'there's s lot of bollocks posted on the internet'!
Don't have much faith in this particular dealer after this experience!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VW will not admit there is a problem with their shocks. They claim it is a characteristic of the model. The dealers are not going to go against what VW have told them to say. The only way to cure this is to fit another make as I have done. After many thousands of miles on the Bilsteins both in the UK and Europe I have no rattles.

baldybouncer

If you are driving a non DCC vehicle then just fit the Bilstein B4 OEM replacements and you will not believe the difference. Problem solved immediately.

See my story here www.vwgolfmk7problems.uk

If you have not seen this before then take a look at my YouTube videos.

£250 - £300 here in the UK including fitting. Don't put up with something that VW do not want to cure or the bullshit they will give you. You will be wasting your time if you do. Others have followed me on this and have had success just as I have done.

Good luck.

Just had a look at your website - not impressed that VW have not fixed your car...It again shows that when VW have an issue they keep hoping you will give up and I glad you haven't...

I will when I have time arrange for my car to go to the next nearest dealer about 14 miles) and explain that I would like my car that is under warranty to sound like a new car rather than a 20 year old london taxi! will update - thanks for the headsup

Ian91

Ready to race!
Just had a look at your website - not impressed that VW have not fixed your car...It again shows that when VW have an issue they keep hoping you will give up and I glad you haven't...

I will when I have time arrange for my car to go to the next nearest dealer about 14 miles) and explain that I would like my car that is under warranty to sound like a new car rather than a 20 year old london taxi! will update - thanks for the headsup

Before I take it in to the dealership I get my iPad and video the inside and out, so I have evidence of the condition before going in to the workshop, also get the service person who books you in to check the car. Seems extreme but VW dealers are pretty much the same, poor when it comes to looking after our cars. I also put a note in not to wash my car and because it's keyless a rubber band around my key to stop them scratching the plastic ignition cover. Failing that I could also hide in the boot!

baldybouncer

I should probably name and shame the dealer but I know one of the guys who works there is on here - I am sure it wouldn't take a genius to work out from my address what garage did the damage ;)