GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Winter Tire Thread

ggweci

Go Kart Newbie
My winter wheels are VW OEM 17x7.5 Goals, I was going to run 205/50/17 but decided on 215/50/17 because I wanted more sidewall. Only issue might be no protection of the wheel if you decide to rub a curb. According to the tire specs of the X-Ice3 that I got, the 205/50/17 supports mounting on a max 7.5" width wheel.

Thanks, I had cross posted in this thread (https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55641&page=2) and got some good replies there as well. Your 215/50 recommendation was another one and I am leaning that way now. Narrower than stock, but a bit wider for rim protection.

Badgers?

Car(s)
2019 GTI AB DSG NBM
I just picked up my 2019 GTI Autobahn a couple weeks ago and am absolutely loving it. Coming from the sure-footedness of a WRX, I definitely want to get a separate set of snow tires/wheels. I don't know the first thing about buying either, so here I am.

My initial thoughts were to get a separate set of reasonable 17" wheels and snow tires from TireRack and call it a day. On the other hand, I'm not crazy about the Austins, so I thought about perhaps making those my winter wheels and getting something I like better to use for the other 8 months of the year.

Would I lose much in the way of snow performance using the 18" Austins with Blizzaks vs a set of 17" wheels with the same tires? (Currently looking at the BBS SR Anthracite Painted, but "painted" seems like it could be a poor choice for winters...)

Also, is there a big difference in performance/reliability between wheel brands? Depending on which size I end up needing to buy, I've seen things I like from Andros, Sparco, BBS, O.Z., and Platinum. How do you gauge the quality of a wheel?

Finally, if I buy from TireRack and shop their recommendations for a 2019 GTI, is whatever wheel I end up with guaranteed to fit over the bigger brakes when mounted/balanced or is that something I need to worry about as well?

DiscusInferno

Go Kart Newbie
I just picked up my 2019 GTI Autobahn a couple weeks ago and am absolutely loving it. Coming from the sure-footedness of a WRX, I definitely want to get a separate set of snow tires/wheels. I don't know the first thing about buying either, so here I am.

My initial thoughts were to get a separate set of reasonable 17" wheels and snow tires from TireRack and call it a day. On the other hand, I'm not crazy about the Austins, so I thought about perhaps making those my winter wheels and getting something I like better to use for the other 8 months of the year.

Would I lose much in the way of snow performance using the 18" Austins with Blizzaks vs a set of 17" wheels with the same tires? (Currently looking at the BBS SR Anthracite Painted, but "painted" seems like it could be a poor choice for winters...)

Also, is there a big difference in performance/reliability between wheel brands? Depending on which size I end up needing to buy, I've seen things I like from Andros, Sparco, BBS, O.Z., and Platinum. How do you gauge the quality of a wheel?

Finally, if I buy from TireRack and shop their recommendations for a 2019 GTI, is whatever wheel I end up with guaranteed to fit over the bigger brakes when mounted/balanced or is that something I need to worry about as well?

TireRack does do a good job of being accurate, 99% of the time. 18" vs 17", if you're going 225mm wide tires... the difference is sidewall, so with PA's potholes, especially when formed after plowing, wheel/tire damage is increased with 18" tire size.

BBS, OZ, Sparco makes quality wheels, and you pay extra for them. Some of the TireRack house brands uses manufacturing methods licensed from BBS.

You can also browse the classifieds for 17" wheels that fit whether it is here, the 'tex, etc.

If you want to head to Allentown, PA, there is L&T Enterprizes, which you can get used wheels from. Not sure if Lenny retired yet or not... but don't be surprised if you're on hold for a long time. It's just one person running around operating the counter

Badgers?

Car(s)
2019 GTI AB DSG NBM
Thanks for all the insight. I'm not too far from Allentown, so I'll look into L&T.

But.. not exactly sure which hill is that... looks like Camelback to me.

That's Blue Mountain from the valley lot. The ski patrol lodge in the distance near the bottom of two side-by-side lifts gave it away for me. =)

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
On the other hand, I'm not crazy about the Austins, so I thought about perhaps making those my winter wheels

Painted would be a better choice for winters, in this case.
With the machined finish of the Austins, if the clear coat gets a chip or compromised....the raw metal can/will corrode and spread like cancer. It gets ugly

Kind of like this:

Dan00Hawk

Go Kart Newbie
I just ordered a set of Nexen Winguard Sport 2 in 215/45/18 to put on my stock Austins for the upcoming Chicago suburban winter. Slightly narrower, and a bit taller than OEM which is what I wanted for winter without having to get yet another set of wheels (I have summers on Konig Hypergrams).

$350 for a set of 4 with free shipping on Ebay right now is quite inexpensive: https://www.ebay.com/itm/254303238238

It's a budget winter tire for sure, but in winter tire testing, it ends up being middle of the road, with some good overall performance in the snow and dry, good longevity and quiet.
Not so good at hyrdroplaning and poor rolling resistance (poor mpg). I've used a wide variety of snow tires over the years (Blizzak WS80, LM22, General Arctics, Michelin Alpin, Hanook Icebear) so I'm interested to see how this "cheap" winter tire performs for me.

https://alltyretests.com/nexen-winguard-sport-2-test-review/

Dan00Hawk

Go Kart Newbie
would anyone try this:
4-New-225-45R18-Federal-Himalaya-WS2-Tires-225-45-18-
I briefly researched those before going with the Nexens I posted above. I could only find consumer reviews (mixed results), and no tests on the Federals. There isn't anything out there that would be less expensive in that size. It could be worth trying them out if you aren't willing to throw down a few hundred more for a more well-known name brand.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
Honestly i live in se Pa, i could get A/S and be fine but im gonna do a winter / cheap set. Im looking for the cheapest winterish tires as we only get like 1-2 times of snow. These will go on austins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DiscusInferno

Go Kart Newbie
Honestly i live in se Pa, i could get A/S and be fine but im gonna do a winter / cheap set. Im looking for the cheapest winterish tires as we only get like 1-2 times of snow. These will go on austins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://simpletire.com/catalog?widt...category=3&query=catalog&sort=price&order=asc
These guys are out of Trevose

You might get snow 1-2 times a year, but more often, you get rain then it freezes, so ice is a bigger concern, especially black ice, which in the winter a big cause of accidents causing major delays.

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG

17“ VW steelies came in today. 6,5x17 ET38 with 205/50R17 93V.

Labbatt33

Ready to race!
Random question, is there any negligible difference between running a 215 vs a 225 winter tire? I live in an area that I frequently have to drive in deep snow and the price between the two sizes is pretty close. The tires will be mounted on a 7” wheel and from what I’ve read both will work.

Tooly

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn

17“ VW steelies came in today. 6,5x17 ET38 with 205/50R17 93V.

You have a part number for those Zero? A wheel like that would be of interest to me to use as a full size spare.

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
You have a part number for those Zero? A wheel like that would be of interest to me to use as a full size spare.
The part# is 5QF601027 or Alcar 9021.