GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DeAutoKey Footwell LEDs installation guide

Purcell

Passed Driver's Ed
Since the installation of the deAutoLED footwells was a little tricky for me (the housing and setup might be different since I have a 2016), here's a guide of how to do it. I've included a few pictures of the highlights of the processes).

Driver's Side (First 3 pictures)

Step 1 -
Starting on the driver's side, locate the footwell LED. Using a flathead screwdriver (installation would be easier with the deAutoLED interior toolkit), stick the flathead into the small cutout and pop out the housing.

Step 2 -
The housing will be connected to the power supply. Carefully detach the cable by pushing in on the two small tabs on the side of the cable. Then, remove the black casing. Carefully remove the OEM LED and replace it with the deAutoKey LED.

Step 3 -
Pop the black casing back on, plug back into the cable (this will likely be difficult because of the tight spacing, but won't be as difficult if you don't have large hands like I do). Once plugged back in, pop the housing back into place. The driver side is now done.

Passenger's Side (Last 4 pictures)

Step 1 -
The housing on this side is somewhat difficult to remove, but be patient and you will get it. What I did to remove the housing was to use the head of a nail on the right most side of the housing (there will be a small notch, just like the driver's side housing). Once you've pulled enough, there will be a small gap where you will need to poke your flathead screwdriver into. Push down on this stubborn housing and it will come out.

Step 2 -
Unplug the cable from the housing (same as the driver's side). Now you will be holding the housing with the black casing. Now you must stick your flathead screwdriver into the tiny gap between the upper housing and the black casing. Carefully push in and remove the casing. On the other side, there will be two very small tabs that need to be pushed in with a good bit of force. The casing should now be removable from the housing.

Step 3 -
Remove the OEM LED and carefully insert the deAutoKey LED (make sure the small plastic is connected with the small holes on the LED board). Carefully put the casing back on, plug the the LED back into the cable, and push back into the original position. The passenger's side is now done!

Minorly tricky installation, but be patient and you will be rewarded with two powerful and awesome lights!

Hope this guide was helpful! Let me know if you've found a better way to do it so I can change the guide. :D

Attachments

• IMG_3026.jpg
    IMG_3026.jpg
    604.9 KB · Views: 24,989
  • IMG_3028.jpg
    IMG_3028.jpg
    282.9 KB · Views: 22,169
  • IMG_3029.jpg
    IMG_3029.jpg
    468.3 KB · Views: 22,406
  • IMG_3032.jpg
    IMG_3032.jpg
    365.7 KB · Views: 20,617
  • IMG_3033.jpg
    IMG_3033.jpg
    378.7 KB · Views: 20,186
  • IMG_3034.jpg
    IMG_3034.jpg
    362.7 KB · Views: 19,951
  • IMG_3035.jpg
    IMG_3035.jpg
    322.8 KB · Views: 19,791
Last edited:

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
If you can't get the black housing to snap back down with the new LEDs, you can trim the front section with an exacto to help make up for the thicker pcb on the replacements

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Purcell

Passed Driver's Ed
If you can't get the black housing to snap back down with the new LEDs, you can trim the front section with an exacto to help make up for the thicker pcb on the replacements

Yes, it took a little force to fully reapply the black housing. I was afraid to break it but it's pretty strong. An Exacto knife would also be helpful in this case.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie

Wonder why deautoled does not fix this as I wrote about it 6 months ago on my install. They do good work but this item needs some work.

deAutoLED.com

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
Thanks for the review and DIY - looks great!
There is no need to reinstall the black cover with our LEDs.

Our lead techs has to reasons to why VW included the black cover. The 2 reasons also explain why you do not have to install it with our LEDs!

1. the VW OEM LED bulb has room to move around in the footwell housing, so without the black case there is a chance the LED will move.
--with our LED, it sits flush against the plastic housing end so there is NO chance for our LED to move

2. there is a little bit of light that reflectors back off the footwell housing and since the VW LED is not bright they wanted to eliminate it with the black cover.
--our LEDs are much brighter, that little bit of light that is reflected back will not matter.

So again there is NO reason to install the black housing.

Thank you

Last edited:

Purcell

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for the review and DIY - looks great!
There is no need to reinstall the black cover with our LEDs.

Our lead techs has to reasons to why VW included the black cover. The 2 reasons also explain why you do not have to install it with our LEDs!

1. the VW OEM LED bulb has room to move around in the footwell housing, so without the black case there is a chance the LED will move.
--with our LED, it sits flush against the plastic housing end so there is NO chance for our LED to move

2. there is a little bit of light that reflectors back off the footwell housing and since the VW LED is not bright they wanted to eliminate it with the black cover.
--our LEDs are much brighter, that little bit of light that is reflected back will not matter.

So again there is NO reason to install the black housing.

Thank you

I'm getting a little bit of purple light when I use the white setting. I know that this is normal, but could it be reduced by not having the black plastic housing?

Purcell

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for the write-up and pictures. I am considering doing this mod as the red looks much nicer than white.

Do it! I thought I was only going to use white and maybe a couple others sometimes but the red is very nice :cool:

deAutoLED.com

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
Thanks for the orders everyone.
We appreciate it.

I'm getting a little bit of purple light when I use the white setting. I know that this is normal, but could it be reduced by not having the black plastic housing?

There should be no purple - it is most likely the housing or how the LED is sitting in the housing, if you remove the LED from the housing and shine the white light without the footwell housing it will be a crisp clean white with no tint.

So most likely the cause could be the way VW cut your housing:
-does it happen on both sides?
-did you try removing the black cover?

I know some people (not even with our LEDs) will sand their VW housing to get rid of the prism effect.

Please keep us updated.

Thank you

Purcell

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for the orders everyone.
We appreciate it.

There should be no purple - it is most likely the housing or how the LED is sitting in the housing, if you remove the LED from the housing and shine the white light without the footwell housing it will be a crisp clean white with no tint.

So most likely the cause could be the way VW cut your housing:
-does it happen on both sides?
-did you try removing the black cover?

I know some people (not even with our LEDs) will sand their VW housing to get rid of the prism effect.

Please keep us updated.

Thank you

It happens on both sides. I will try removing the black covers now.

deAutoLED.com

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
It happens on both sides. I will try removing the black covers now.

Ok, if you are able to some how remove them or have alligator clips you can hook them up to see the light is white with no purple without the housing - if that is the case then you can sand down your housing to eliminate the prism. New housings are inexpensive if you ever have to trade in your car but no one will ever noticed sanded footwells so you never have to replace them.

This also doesn't happen normally but VW uses different housings between models/production and we noticed some housing have this issue with other LEDs also and not only ours.

But our Footwells won't cause any spotting which is commonly see with other LEDs so no worries there. :)

sbarrett4

Ready to race!
Got mine in the mail yesterday and installed them before the the blizzard hit Philly. Took less than 5 minutes total. Thanks for the official update that the black covers aren't needed. Great easy mod.

Purcell

Passed Driver's Ed
Got mine in the mail yesterday and installed them before the the blizzard hit Philly. Took less than 5 minutes total. Thanks for the official update that the black covers aren't needed. Great easy mod.

Hope your GTI is hiding somewhere safe!