GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Vibration?

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
This wouldn't be the cause of the vibration on the oem wheels tho. I'm thinking it's a wheel bearing or something suspension related.

The Cadiz wheels aren't all that strong. I bent the inner lip without knowing it happened--I found out it was bent when fixing some curb-rash. The wheel had less than 5,000 miles on it and never hit a "killer" pothole. It might be worth your while to take them off and do a good inspection.

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
This thread is mad old, we're talking to MarcoSilvio

It's probably never going away, either. While any tire/wheel can vibrate due to the usual reasons, the inward taper of the hub on MQB cars makes perfect seating problematic on any wheel with a hub opening larger than the factory 57.1mm. Even with hubcentric rings, they won't make perfect contact unless you're especially lucky with the rear hub depth on your wheel, such that the hubcentric ring winds up being far up enough to make SOLID contact with the hub. This depth varies from wheel to wheel. As I've posted several times before, careful cross-torqueing at the factory 88 ft. lbs. often solves the vibration problem when caused by less-than-perfect seating. Any shop that tightens your wheels with an air-wrench (which is 95% of them) is going to pull your wheels away from a proper seating, if the wheel can be set off-center.

mk7gti2.0

Ready to race!
The Cadiz wheels aren't all that strong. I bent the inner lip without knowing it happened--I found out it was bent when fixing some curb-rash. The wheel had less than 5,000 miles on it and never hit a "killer" pothole. It might be worth your while to take them off and do a good inspection.

I have inspected all the rims as well as a few shops. I just bought new tires they have all been balanced correctly as well as hand torqued to 88 ft lbs. Honestly the vibrations are so significant at times I feel unsafe to drive on the highway. My car is only 5 months old and 9k miles. Haven't hit any major potholes or taken in rough terrain. It's a little depressing if this is considered normal characteristic for the car.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
I have inspected all the rims as well as a few shops. I just bought new tires they have all been balanced correctly as well as hand torqued to 88 ft lbs. Honestly the vibrations are so significant at times I feel unsafe to drive on the highway. My car is only 5 months old and 9k miles. Haven't hit any major potholes or taken in rough terrain. It's a little depressing if this is considered normal characteristic for the car.

It's not considered a normal characteristic of the car. Something is wrong with your suspension/wheel bearings. Get em checked.

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie

Unfortunately for you, your assumption that something serious was wrong, is probably correct. No, it isn't normal for the car to act in that way (thank goodness). The good thing is it's still under warranty.

mk7gti2.0

Ready to race!
That's true I'm going to talk to my dealer when I bring it in for oil 10k service. I do remember reading on either vortex or vwroc that many others were having trouble with same vibrations fixed by replacing wheel bearings.

quailallstar

WOB DJ496
Car(s)
MY19 MK7.5 GTI Bunny
Anything ever come of this? I have the same vibration at 70-85mph.

via the Sony XPERIA XA1 Ultra using Tapatalk

cooljoe

Passed Driver's Ed
I had vibration in my gas & brake pedal at around 65-68mph as well as a loud hum/grinding noise. I didn't have any vibration in the seat or in the steering wheel, and the sound was independent of what gear I was in. Turns out that I had a bad wheel bearing. You can do a quick test to see if that's the case by steering hard from side-to-side at speed to see if the noise is exacerbated. Usually it'll get louder as you shift the weight of the car onto that side, and quieter when you shift the weight off of it.

R8TID R

I end up balancing the Tires again. Didn't really help.... I got VWR Springs installed now too and had the car realigned... High speed its still not a comfortable feel.... Honestly it's not that terrible but still a bit annoying when I notice it. I might just go to the dealership but now that I have VWR springs installed they will give me crap for that and blame them even though this was a pre-spring issue.

Flat spots develop on tires that sit in one place for too long, or if they’ve been sitting while they are under-inflated. I thought you have a bad tire but then I saw you changed them. Has anyone ever checked these:

1. The balancing of your drive shaft.
2. The torque of your bolts for your engine, transmission and dog bone bolts.
3. Broken or failing crankshaft pulley? (It’s a harmonic balancer)
4. Does your engine look like it’s straight in the engine compartment? The mounts have play and if installed incorrectly the engine can be slightly crooked in the compartment. Check the DIY instructions on ECS tuning for their motor and tranny mounts to see what I’m referring to.

Last edited:

OffTheFence

I just picked mine up today and drove it 3+ hours, horrible vibration from 60+ My legs and arms were shaking and the zipper on my jacket that I placed on the passenger seat was rattling away the whole way home.

I could feel the vibration through my seat and see the passenger headrest vibrating as well as the rear headrests. 19" OEM Englishtowns with shitty Continental run-flats, but I can't imagine this is within normal operating expectations. I'm pretty effin' pissed atm, will call the local dealer and make an appt. on Monday.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I just picked mine up today and drove it 3+ hours, horrible vibration from 60+ My legs and arms were shaking and the zipper on my jacket that I placed on the passenger seat was rattling away the whole way home.

I could feel the vibration through my seat and see the passenger headrest vibrating as well as the rear headrests. 19" OEM Englishtowns with shitty Continental run-flats, but I can't imagine this is within normal operating expectations. I'm pretty effin' pissed atm, will call the local dealer and make an appt. on Monday.

I would just go there on Monday and have them drive it. If you make an appointment and it takes some time until your appointment happens they could tell you that you must have hit a curb or something and that kind of problem isn't covered by the warranty. Actually I would go tomorrow.

OffTheFence

I would just go there on Monday and have them drive it. If you make an appointment and it takes some time until your appointment happens they could tell you that you must have hit a curb or something and that kind of problem isn't covered by the warranty. Actually I would go tomorrow.

Solid advice, thanks. I was thinking about that over the weekend. Will try to step away from work tomorrow for a bit and let you all know what the outcome is.

bruckuss

2016 GTI PP with DCC @ 67,000 km's. Owned for 1 year, bought CPO, has done this since day 1 of my ownership, 2 sets of wheels, now on 4th set of tires. Meticulous cleaning and torque of wheels, mating surfaces, bolts, etc.

Same issues as described, shaking and "uneasy" at any non city speed, noticeably from 60 km/h up, but especially 100 km/h+ (honestly feels like its going to blow apart at 140, that's the highest i've taken it). Whole car shakes, rearview mirror bounces up and down, hand on passenger seat feels like it's hopping. Whole thing basically vibrates.

- Happened since day 1 (bought it CPO), wasn't able to test drive it at highway speed due to dealer location (busy Toronto highway during rush hour). Took it back, they've said "cannot replicate".. Took it back a second time, with the tech in the car up to approx 100 km/h, who said "this is normal, this is how they drive" - wtf.

The history:
- First drive home at hwy speed, felt it. Came with PP summer tires, OEM austins
- Bought in Dec 2018, so needed snow tires that night. Bought used wheels and snow tires locally, installed myself - actually felt half decent for 2 days.
- Sold those used x-ice snow tires (50% tread) and swapped in fresh conti's, mounted to Audi TTRS Reps, shop could not balance them - ended up replacing all 4 new tires with another set. On the second set, and now 4x mount and balance attempts, using road force for 2 of them - still vibrates...
- Need rings for these wheels, tried 3 different sets (2 nylon and 1 alu), still vibes (nylon vibes did feel softer lol)
- Meticulously cleaned all wheel bolt threads with wire brush, mating surfaces, wheel barrels, etc etc (in winter), still vibes. Gave up for the winter, too cold to dik around with this

- Back to the OEM wheels+ OEM rubber this summer, still vibrates.
- Re-installed and re-torqued twice, star pattern by hand, and then in 20 lb increments at home, still vibrates.
- Retorque a 3rd time, up to 110 ft lb, still vibrates.
- Took to local dealer to explain, they said alignment was off. Paid for alignment, still vibrates
- Just changed DSG and Haldex fluids, no change
- Removed OEM rubber this month, bought new 235/40 Conti DWS 06, still vibrates

Thinking it's brakes, hubs, driveshafts, or as per a few posts up - engine, trans or other mount? My brakes don't pulsate, but are getting down anyways - that's next on my list, and will allow me to get a better look at the hubs.

Want to love this car, but hate driving it at speed! Dealerships have been no help, at least the complaints are logged. No time to deal with this, drive thousands of km's per month for work and can't be without my car, easier to repair myself after hours (competent tech).

Following this thread, seems to have great info (and if you are new to the issue, be sure to follow the other TR thread on the hub taper as well, just to make it extra fun)