GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Vibration?

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
I have this problem too, but it DIDN'T happen on the stock wheels/tires. I put Enkei EKM3's on and wrapped em in Cooper Zeon RS3-A's. Car vibrates above 70mph. And the vibration is very noticeable. I too can see my seat shake. Also, the sound of my rear seats shaking drives me fucking crazy if my speakers aren't blasting

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
I'm glad I reread this post bc I was about to drop 300$ on a 3-wheel road force balance but it seems that won't help me.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
And it shouldn't be acceptable that a car designed for the Autobahn has any issues with vibration at high speeds

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Has anyone had a wheel bearing replaced? Maybe that's why we're all getting a dhitty ride?

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
And it shouldn't be acceptable that a car designed for the Autobahn has any issues with vibration at high speeds

It doesn't have a vibration issue at high speed - if everything is working properly...

You could have buckled wheels, wheels not fitted right, bad tyres, flat spots, lost a wheel weight, misaligned tracking (seriously, this can make a huge difference), or you could be driving on a road with ridges that cause an oscillation in your suspension.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
It's a consistent issue regardless of the road i'm on and it's clear based off the things other people are saying that this happens more often on stock setup suspensions and stock wheels/tires as well as aftermarket setups than it should.

Believe me, I have gone through leaps and bounds to get the vibration issue solved... It's been a 6 month process, and literally over a thousand dollars spent... Every 2/3 times I bring it in somewhere to try something different, the vibration decreases... slightly. I feel like I'm so close now that the only possibilities left are a slightly misshapen tire, or a wheel bearing/other sort of suspension issue (had my front driver side ball joint replaced a few months back and had to bring it back in multiple times afterwards to get multiple issues that arose AFTER (not before) the replacement resolved. Again, the issues were never totally resolved, just chipping away at the problem bit by bit. I know my wheels are in perfect condition, I know I have the right lug bolts, and I know I have the appropriate hubcentric rings. Unless metal ones are better than plastic and I should try that too. But really, based off the amount of other people having this issue I really think I have in the last 6 months exhausted almost every possibility besides a misshapen tire or suspension/drive train issue (axle, wheel bearing, drive shaft, etc)

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Common problem, defs not "the way it is." Again, these are German cars designed for German highways. They should drive completely tame at high speeds without a tick

lcubed

Ready to race!
Common problem, defs not "the way it is." Again, these are German cars designed for German highways. They should drive completely tame at high speeds without a tick

by my count, in this thread, there appear to be at most five folks complaining about this. doesn't seem that common.

fwiw, i'd check for strut pucks, correct psi, then check balance and run out for each wheel on a hunter road force balancer at a competent tire shop.

my vehicle cruises just fine without vibration at high speeds (with the exception of certain roads which are rippled)

Talon

Ready to race!
by my count, in this thread, there appear to be at most five folks complaining about this. doesn't seem that common.

fwiw, i'd check for strut pucks, correct psi, then check balance and run out for each wheel on a hunter road force balancer at a competent tire shop.

my vehicle cruises just fine without vibration at high speeds (with the exception of certain roads which are rippled)
Brand new tires on mine (replaced to try to fix vibration), rebalanced, correct pressure and no pucks. The vibration isn't bad but it's enough to be annoying especially since I am going these speeds everyday during my commute.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
I know some might have, but has anyone tried to remove tires, check to make sure no dirt, rust on mounting surfaces? Make sure all wheel weights still in place if still OE.
Install bolts and tighten in star pattern by hand and torque to correct spec by hand.
Doing this is the problem still the same?

The 5 members with issues, are you all on different wheels and tires since original purchase.

Has anyone asked to take a similar car at The dealer for a test drive?
If no vibration, ask them to swap wheels/tires with both cars.
Test drive. Does the problem move to other car? Then tire. If not then car.
If car then VW has the ball now to correct. Suspension, bearings alignment, etc.

Last edited:

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Yeah I'm hoping its a tire balance issue. But the "competent tire shop" part is easier said than done. In fact, I've had so many bad experiences with tire shops trying to get this situation figured out that I'll probably never go to one again

BDI1

I know some have, but has anyone tried to remove tires, check to make sure no dirt, rust on mounting surfaces? Make sure all wheel weights still in place if still OE.
Install bolts and tighten in star pattern by hand and torque to correct spec by hand.
Doing this is the problem still the same?

The 5 members with issues, are you all on different wheels and tires since original purchase.

Has anyone asked to take a similar car at The dealer for a test drive?
If no vibration, ask them to swap wheels/tires with both cars.
Test drive. Does the problem move to other car? Then tire. If not then car.
If car then VW has the ball now to correct. Suspension, bearings alignment, etc.

The vibrations are happening on 2 different sets of wheels/tires. Maybe i'm getting used to it but the vibrations aren't as bad as they used to be. I'm at almost 1,000 miles now.

lcubed

Ready to race!
The vibrations are happening on 2 different sets of wheels/tires. Maybe i'm getting used to it but the vibrations aren't as bad as they used to be. I'm at almost 1,000 miles now.

did you try what sandman suggested by loosening the bolts and retorqueing by hand in a star pattern??

an incompetent tire shop would use an impact wrench to install with probably too high torque and uneven loading.