GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Oil Change notification

ChrisGTD

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi my GTD has only covered 8k miles and the Infotainment system is telling me I need an oil change in 20 days.
I called VW and they tried to book it in for a service but I challenged that and said it is not due for a service after only 8k miles and 8 months of ownership.
So instead they have booked it in for a health check to see why the car thinks it needs an oil change.
Does this sound familiar to anyone?
Cheers
Chris

s7wag

Ready to race!
Yes, it should be 10,000 for oil change even on Long-Life regime.

UPDATE: what I should have said is I'd go for a 10,000 first oil change even if on Long-Life for a diesel.

You are all quite correct the Flexible Long-Life you can be anything between 10,000 and 20,000 miles or up to 24months between oil changes whichever is soonest.

Last edited:

richiekuk

Ready to race!
Yes, it should be 10,000 for oil change even on Long-Life regime.

Mine did the same. My dealer said it hadn't been set correctly from new and that it wasn't due oil until the first inspection service at 18k miles approx.
He promptly reset the oil service indicator to coincide with said inspection service.

Should he not have done this?

richiekuk

Ready to race!
It depends on how the car has been driven since the last oil replacement and the time since the last change. 12 months or sooner is prudent.

Surely if the car is on a "longlife" service plan. Then this is doubled as per every other diesel VW I have owned in the past.

NickN

Passed Driver's Ed
Surely if the car is on a "longlife" service plan. Then this is doubled as per every other diesel VW I have owned in the past.

Forgive me if I'm wrong but my understanding of longlife was that it's based on miles not time, so, as you say, it would mean that you can do 20k miles instead of 10k between services (which I think is what you are saying anyway), but that the 12 month period stays the same regardless?

In any case, mine will be about 15k-20k a year, so on longlife I would still do a 12 month service. And of course for those on MOTs in the UK it makes sense to do both at the same time.

vwman

Go Kart Champion
My previous experience of running Longlife service regime is that it runs for 18,000 miles before being flagged up for service.

It is 18,000/20,000 miles or two years whichever comes first.

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
My previous experience of running Longlife service regime is that it runs for 18,000 miles before being flagged up for service.

It is 18,000/20,000 miles or two years whichever comes first.

My MK5 was going about 17K before the warning appeared, at the same time it's suggested that 30 miles per day average is best for longlife regime along with steady cruising, so this time I opted for the time/distance, I'm not even covering 6k a year and even then as ,most of it is commuting the time distance seems the prudent choice my use nowadays.

richiekuk

Ready to race!
Yes, thats how longlife servicing works.

Rappy:cool:

Yep, I concur. My inspection was due after 18k / 2 years. But oil was set to time distance I think. Came up after about 8k.
He just reset it and all is well.

s7wag

Ready to race!
What I should have said is "I" always go for a 10,000 first oil change even if on Long-Life for a diesel.

You are all quite correct. The Flexible Long-Life you can be anything between 10,000 and 20,000 miles or up to 24months between oil changes whichever is flagged soonest.

Silvadadi

Passed Driver's Ed
Did you purchase 3/5 year service pack when you bought it? If so, you will be 10k/annual service. I had the same message pop up and ignored it and got it serviced at 9.5k.