GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Spring binding noise after neuspeed race spring install

1320GTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey guys this noise I have is driving me crazy, installed neuspeed race springs and now I have this weird spring noise, sounds like the springs are binding and then releasing when you turn the wheel, like a clicking dinging noise, it's on both sides and happens when moving slow and turning the wheel and when stationary and turning wheel, it sounds like tug and release not really spring bind I checked install and everything is correct even disassembled bearing assembly and everything is fine, lubed spring seats with silicone paste nothing is helping, when looking at the spring and turning wheel it's almost like the spring is getting stuck on the middle part of the seat then releasing has anyone else had this happen, I know this was a common problem on the mk6 but I haven't heard anything about the mk7

1320GTI

Passed Driver's Ed
It's seated in the lower perch perfectly the upper is were the noise is coming from you can see as you turn the upper bearing by hand it actually somewhat twists the spring and then releases and that's what makes the noise, and it dose not move in a nice circular motion kind of like an egg shaped rotation and it makes the spring flex and pop I think there's a problem with the springs,

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
1. Did you replace with new strut bearings?
The bearings insure the strut can turn & (in a way) prevent the binding...since that sits between the spring & the mount and enables the turning.

2. Do you have the strut mounts oriented in the correct position?

The arrows on the strut mount should face inwards (towards the engine) on each side

It's supposed to sit at an angle/"egg shaped rotation", like you said...since the bearing is angled, not flat.

The strut bearing also has to sit in the strut mount a certain way (part 0:41-0:57):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hR0MmvogT2A

Courtesy of nikhsub1:
"The top of the strut housing has a notch in it - this notch must FACE INWARD! So the notch on the passenger side will face the driver side and vice versa! This is VERY important as it is sloped and only designed to go this way. Here is is marked in green."

1320GTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Yes it is in ther correctly just as pictured and no I did not replace the bearings it's a brand new car should not need bearings replaced I have never replaced bearings on any new car I have done at work and I have never had this problem it's really weird idk what to do I'm gona call neuspeed and see if they can get me new front springs

DelyMK7

I believe this happens with springs that have dead coils and to fix it you have to install sleeves between the coils that are touching.

Can't remember the company that makes sleeves, but if you search on google you'll see its pretty common with a lot of springs/coilovers, not that it makes it any more acceptable.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
I believe this happens with springs that have dead coils and to fix it you have to install sleeves between the coils that are touching.

Can't remember the company that makes sleeves, but if you search on google you'll see its pretty common with a lot of springs/coilovers, not that it makes it any more acceptable.

QFT

Neuspeed springs have a quite a bit of dead coils and they do bind/rub and (almost) notorious for the popping

Deal with it, or find a new spring or coilover setup instead

Tein does have some spring "silencers", for example:
http://www.tein.com/products/silencer_rubber.html
or
There is spring wrap:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FACTORY-SEC...l-coil-wrap-/221820267840?hash=item33a584ad40

Last edited:

MikeB7

I have exactly the same thing on my car with Eibach springs.I took my car to VW and was told that I have to replace both knucles as they seems to be broken.I said my care made like 20k miles.Those parts get used after 150k.So I didn't fix it because I didn't believe VW service and on the other hand they said that the springs or not made by VW and I lost my warranty for the suspention. SO I took the car to another service.They dissasembled the front and looked for the issue.It them two days to say that there are rubber parts on the front making the noise.Don't know the name of those in english.They said they can lubricate the ruber and should be ok or we cane replace them.But as mentioned the was was almost new. So I got used to that.Since eveyrhitng else was installed properly. I read on polish forum that some guys had the same thing and pointed that the issue is the rubber on the drop links.Someone lubricated that and the issue was gone as well.Let me know if you found what the issue as I don't think any new additional parts are needed but it makes me crazy too.

Aknedude

Passed Driver's Ed
Had the same problem on almost every car i have lowered, its the coils that rub together thats making the noise. heres how to fix it.

go buy some self adhesive FILTMAT. the kind you put on things so they dont scrathes your dinnertable. lift the car and and cut 2x2 cm pieces from the Filtmat. put the pieces between the coils 3-4 pieces on every coil. thats it, lower the car, and test drive.

It works everytime.

Billyescopetas

Passed Driver's Ed
Had the same problem on almost every car i have lowered, its the coils that rub together thats making the noise. heres how to fix it.

go buy some self adhesive FILTMAT. the kind you put on things so they dont scrathes your dinnertable. lift the car and and cut 2x2 cm pieces from the Filtmat. put the pieces between the coils 3-4 pieces on every coil. thats it, lower the car, and test drive.

It works everytime.

I think I have a similar problem with VWR springs... but I'm now not sure what you mean by dead coils.

'progressive' springs

Some of the windings are 'narrow'. When the car is sitting on its wheels
these windings are 'dead', sitting on each other and no longer part of the
working spring. Actually these windings are just there to retain tension
when the car is jacked up or when driving fast on bumpy roads when the
wheels lose ground contact.

Billyescopetas

Passed Driver's Ed
Ok thanks!! Then my VWR springs are linear and have no dead coils. I'm having a big noise issue while turning and seems to be the springs bending

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk