GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Light/Rain sensor retrofit

GolfMNE

Ready to race!
Has anyone retrofitted Light/Rain sensor? My car came only with humidity sensor on the windshield, but I could replace it with light/rain/humidity sensor and install auto headlights switch. Anybody knows what would be next to do/replace?

https://www.kufatec.de/shop/en/volk...ain-light-humidity-sensor-vw-golf-7?tab=frage

Mk620T

Ready to race!
I have the sensor you're taking about, and honestly the rain sensor is kind of weak. The auto wipers "work", but I still find myself adjusting out of auto to handle the optimal wiping of my windshield.

There is a kit that come with the auto euroswitch and a light sensor that you place on your dash. I'm sure it's much cheaper and honestly doesn't even look bad. If you took the time you'd probably never have to see it.

http://www.uspmotorsports.com/RFB-Automatic-Headlight-Conversion-Kit-MK7-Golf-GTI.html

GolfMNE

Ready to race!
I have the sensor you're taking about, and honestly the rain sensor is kind of weak. The auto wipers "work", but I still find myself adjusting out of auto to handle the optimal wiping of my windshield.

There is a kit that come with the auto euroswitch and a light sensor that you place on your dash. I'm sure it's much cheaper and honestly doesn't even look bad. If you took the time you'd probably never have to see it.

http://www.uspmotorsports.com/RFB-Automatic-Headlight-Conversion-Kit-MK7-Golf-GTI.html

I know about wipers, but I wan't to install it mainly because of lights. I installed conversion kit yesterday, but I don't like how it works on car startup as it takes 10sec for lights to turn on at night. I would also like to have Coming/Leaving home which is unavailable with conversion kit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NucqMB67ojc&feature=youtu.be

Fanis1

Ready to race!
Sorry for the stupid question, but what does this humidy sensor do? Is it part of the Climatronic?

GolfMNE

Ready to race!
Sorry for the stupid question, but what does this humidy sensor do? Is it part of the Climatronic?

Yes, it is for Climatronic unit.

A special sensor system in conjunction with the control algorithms in the Climatronic reduces misting-up of the windows and enhances climatic comfort by managing the humidity levels inside the car.
From the data delivered by the humidity and temperature sensor in the base of the interior mirror, the Climatronic control unit calculates the dew point temperature of the air – that is, the temperature at which the air humidity would condense. An infrared sensor remotely measures the radiated heat on the windscreen, and calculates the window temperature. To prevent the windows from misting up, Climatronic regulates the volume of air projected on to the windscreen and, with the compressor switched on, also the air humidity inside the car.
Relative humidity based on interior temperature can also be kept at a pleasant level.

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
Has anyone retrofitted Light/Rain sensor? My car came only with humidity sensor on the windshield, but I could replace it with light/rain/humidity sensor and install auto headlights switch. Anybody knows what would be next to do/replace?

GolfMNE: Just had a look at the wiring diagram for the rain/light/sensor and guess what? The RLS is a three wire device that looks exactly like the connector in your picture! The wires are:
Red/White = Connected to supply voltage via Fuse 8 on fuse holder C
Purple/White = Connected to the BCM (Pin 28 on Socket C )
Brown =Connected to earth

So, it seems like you have the necessary cabling in place already.

Clearly there would also be some coding/adaptation changes (needs access to a VCDS cable) and you would need to change the rotary light switch, but nothng too complicated.
Cheers
Don

GolfMNE

Ready to race!
GolfMNE: Just had a look at the wiring diagram for the rain/light/sensor and guess what? The RLS is a three wire device that looks exactly like the connector in your picture! The wires are:
Red/White = Connected to supply voltage via Fuse 8 on fuse holder C
Purple/White = Connected to the BCM (Pin 28 on Socket C )
Brown =Connected to earth

So, it seems like you have the necessary cabling in place already.

Clearly there would also be some coding/adaptation changes (needs access to a VCDS cable) and you would need to change the rotary light switch, but nothng too complicated.
Cheers
Don

Thanks for the info! I wish someone has already done this retrofit and knows how to code it. My dealer is not really friendly on retrofitting so I am stuck with local shops who don't have experience for this.

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
Thanks for the info! I wish someone has already done this retrofit and knows how to code it. My dealer is not really friendly on retrofitting so I am stuck with local shops who don't have experience for this.

golfNME: i just had a look at the installation process for the sensor - doesn't look difficult as long as the screen is clean and dust free. It appears to be just stuck onto the windscreen by the silicon pad (can be removed and re-installed multiple times according to VW - if the silicon pad is kept clean. There is even an option to repair the silicon pad!

Anyhow, the coding changes shouldn't be that difficult either.
Here's how the new RLFS should be coded:

Here's how the BCM should be coded to recognise the sensor

Here's how the humidity part of the sensor is coded into the BCM ( probably already this way, but worth checking)

If the installation is successful, you should get something looking like this on your auto-scan report :

Subsystem 2 - Part No SW: 5Q0 955 547 HW: 5Q0 955 547 Labels: 5Q0-955-547.CLB
Component: RLFS 024 0042
Serial number: Y13M01D03H20M05S37S1
Coding: 00A8DD

Note that this assumes that you have installed the RLFS with the part number shown

Also note: to make the new RLFS useable, you will need to buy a "EURO - Switch" that has an "Auto" position. Dead-easy to install one of these!

There are probably some adaptation channel changesto be made as well, but this depends on what you want to do with the new sensor . Happy to help with this if you need assistance .
Cheers
Don

Last edited:

GolfMNE

Ready to race!
golfNME: i just had a look at the installation process for the sensor - doesn't look difficult as long as the screen is clean and dust free. It appears to be just stuck onto the windscreen by the silicon pad (can be removed and re-installed multiple times according to VW - if the silicon pad is kept clean. There is even an option to repair the silicon pad!

If the installation is successful, you should get something looking like this on your auto-scan report :

Subsystem 2 - Part No SW: 5Q0 955 547 HW: 5Q0 955 547 Labels: 5Q0-955-547.CLB
Component: RLFS 024 0042
Serial number: Y13M01D03H20M05S37S1
Coding: 00A8DD

Note that this assumes that you have installed the RLFS with the part number shown

Also note: to make the new RLFS useable, you will need to buy a "EURO - Switch" that has an "Auto" position. Dead-easy to install one of these!

There are probably some adaptation channel changesto be made as well, but this depends on what you want to do with the new sensor . Happy to help with this if you need assistance .
Cheers
Don
Hi DV52,

Can you please describe how to get to those coding menus as I am unfamiliar with vcds?
Can you confirm if 5Q0955547 is the correct part number for rain/light/humidity sensor? I searched this p/n on google and it only says rain/humidity sensor, I think this is the right one: 8U0 955 559 B. I have already installed auto light switch.
I also wanted to activate Coming/Leaving home, is this related to adaptation channel changes?

Thanks!

Last edited:

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
Hi DV52,

Can you please describe how to get to those coding menus as I am unfamiliar with vcds?
Can you confirm if 5Q0955547 is the correct part number for rain/light/humidity sensor? I searched this p/n on google and it only says rain/humidity sensor, I think this is the right one: 8U0 955 559 B. I have already installed auto light switch.
I also wanted to activate Coming/Leaving home, is this related to adaptation channel changes?

Thanks!

GolfMNE: OK - In many VWs, including the mk7, the signal from the sensor is wired directly to the Body Control Module (BCM). There are three sensors that I have seen in the mk7 (excluding your humidity sensor 8U0 955 559):
1. RLS - Rain Light Sensor
2. RLHS - Rain Light Humidity Sensor
3. RLFS - Regen-Licht-Feuchtesensor ( German for Rain light humidity sensor)

I have a database of a number of different model mk7s both ROW and NAR vehicles, All those that have the RLHS/RLFS, use the part number in my post. I have seen the part number that you have suggested (i.e. 8U0 955 559 B), but only on a 3 series Audi (i.e. A3 - 8V). Both the A3 and mk7 are built on the MQB platform. I'm not saying that your part number isn't correct , but I suggest that you confirm its suitability.

The other problem with the 8U0 955 559 B unit is that Ross -Tech haven't yet built a label file for this control module -So there isn't a set of functioning Long Coding Helper screens for this unit yet.

If you haven't used a VCDS cable, then I suggest that you pal-up with an experienced user for this part of the retro-fit. The RLS/RLHS/RLFS/Humidity Sensor appears as a slave module to the BCM. To get to my screen shots, you will need to access the 09-Central Electr. control module, then select "Coding-16". The first 2 screens can be found in the slave module pull-down button and the last two screens are part of the BCM long coding helper.

Yes, both CH and LH functions are enabled via adaptation channel changes. CH can be activated without a light sensor (once the adap channels are set-up, it just needs the high beam stalk movement to be enabled), but a light sensor is needed for LH ( rotary light switch needs to be in auto position and dark/dusk conditions)
cheers
Don

Last edited:

GolfMNE

Ready to race!
Can someone with factory auto lights and front&rear fogs post a picture of their headlight switch connector. I want to know if mine has all the cables for retrofitting auto lights as I am missing 1 wire.

Mine connector:

GolfMNE

Ready to race!
I need help from someone who knows coding!

I installed my rain sensor and switch. I have a problem with coding.
Can anyone write step by step coding instruction. I don't know hot get to menu that DV52 posted.

My friend tried to code it but didn't make it:

GolfMNE

Ready to race!
Hi,
Did you done it ?
I had order sensor and swith and i would do it, so i'll ask for help soon!

Yes, done it few months ago and it's working. All you need is light sensor (you need to have factory fitted humidity sensor for climatronic), auto switch and coding (DV52 posted it above).
I read on other forum that Golfs from 2014-onwards don't have wire for auto lights from bcm to headlight switch, so that could be a problem if your car is made in 2014/15. You can check by looking at headlight switch connector (red color from picture above). If you have 9 wires like mine, auto lights will work.