GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Headlight washer system

4u2nv

Hi all,
I picked up my GTI last week, and cannot work out how the headlight washer system works? can any one help.
I know it should work when the lights are on and on the 1st spray then every 5th or 6th time? but it doesn't.
thanks.

Chris43

Go Kart Champion
Hi all,
I picked up my GTI last week, and cannot work out how the headlight washer system works? can any one help.
I know it should work when the lights are on and on the 1st spray then every 5th or 6th time? but it doesn't.
thanks.

Are you saying it doesn't work at all? From memory mine pretty much works as you describe. If you wash the screen and the headlights are on you can see the spray from headlight washer. But the headlight washer doesn't spray every time you wash the screen.

Apologies for daft question, are you 100% certain the headlights are on and the washer reservoir is full. I found once the washer fluid low level sensor comes on the lights don't wash at all, its obviously designed to conserve the fluid for the screen

4u2nv

Thanks for the comments, I have checked the levels and I did just top it up but still the same problem. car soaked from window washers..lol
Thought if there was option in the menus that you could switch off / on buts that's not the case, so actually a fault with the car which is annoying.
going back for the 2nd time in just over a week :(

GeoBog

Ready to race!
The washer liquid tank capacity is actually 5L and the low level light comes on when there is 1L left in the tank.

The default behaviour of the system is:
- With the main beam on when spraying the windscreen the first time, the headlight washers will activate as well.
- After the first activation, each 5th windscreen wash will activate the headlight washers cycle as well.
- When the liquid level reaches 1L, the low level light comes on the dash and the headlight washers are disabled to save the remaining liquid for the windscreen. Once topped up, the washers are automatically re-enabled.

This behaviour can be changed with VCDS both the number of windscreen washes between two headlight wash cycles and the delay in seconds for first wash which by default is set to 0s (hence the washers cycle will begin as soon as you wash the windscreen the first time.)

In your case either the default behaviour has been changed or you have an issue with the electronic module that drives the washers or maybe a cabling issue. Either way a trip to the dealer is required.

4u2nv

Went to garage this morning and they confirmed there is something wrong, booked it in for next week.

Geomets

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf mk7 GTI
Did your dealer remove the bumper for some work? I had it removed to paint it and the light washers did show themselves but no sign of water. I visited the dealer again after some tries and the only good employee there (along with the painter) told me to get in the car and switch on the engine, switch on the lights and use the washing function, then turn off the engine. After five or so attempts it started working properly. That happens because if you remove the bumper (or have some work around there), they unplug the pipes that direct the water to the headlights. They carry a considerable volume of water. So you should use the washing function several times to fill them again. Just a thought.

4u2nv

Thanks, I picked the car up last week brand new, so I guess it has had no work done to it.
They took it into the garage today and it still didn't work, hoping its a simply fix.

GLoBaLReBeL

Ready to race!
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but how the heck do you guys have headlight washers on your GTI? I have a 2016 GTI SE and I have no headlight washers. Is this only on the R's?